Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinion Rancho oil pan skid plate

Old 09-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiconGeoff
I didn't want the weight and expense of a regular belly pan skidplate, I just wanted to get some protection for the vitals. The thin sheetmetal of the factory oil pan is vulnerable to an errant stick or rock getting wedged against the oil pan and puncturing it. The Rancho oil pan armor is lightweight and easy to install, and if you do it right then you can't possibly have it fall off - it's secured with a bracket that's supplemental to the adhesive gasket. I definitely recommend this skid pan.
Yep, we made this change a year or so ago, so now it bolts up to the pan. In regards to salt, I am guessing it isn't really an issue as our Brand Manager lives in MI and has one on his JKU for the last 3 or so years without any issues. He does get it washed often in the winters to get that salt off his JK.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been running a Rancho oil pan skid for the past 2 years or so. Never had an issue with it and I have the first gen where it does not bolt to the pan. It's taken a couple of hits and protected the pan perfectly. I'm very happy with it!
Old 09-20-2013, 01:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine has stayed on no problem its taken a few good hits and very slightly dented but without it, it would have been much worse.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First gen, 2+ years & no problems. Great investment!
Old 09-21-2013, 12:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been happy with mine over 2 years now, Mine is adhered to the pan and isn't going anywhere.

Sent from S4 via Tapatalk 4
Old 09-23-2013, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rancho
Yep, we made this change a year or so ago, so now it bolts up to the pan. In regards to salt, I am guessing it isn't really an issue as our Brand Manager lives in MI and has one on his JKU for the last 3 or so years without any issues. He does get it washed often in the winters to get that salt off his JK.
From Rancho's perspective, do you see any problem with any hit to the oil pan skid being transferred to the engine block with this setup and possibly causing damage?
Old 09-23-2013, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

Rancho, any plans for a similar skid plate for the auto trans pan? It seems just as vulnerable even with the stock skid "bar."
Old 09-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blue_chaser
From Rancho's perspective, do you see any problem with any hit to the oil pan skid being transferred to the engine block with this setup and possibly causing damage?
I can't say that in a perfect storm this wouldn't happen, but I highly doubt it honestly. This skid has been on some of the toughest trails out there. Start with a clean dry, dent free pan and you are good to go.

Originally Posted by keycat02
Rancho, any plans for a similar skid plate for the auto trans pan? It seems just as vulnerable even with the stock skid "bar."
Not at this time, I also need to cover my trans too, on my JKU.

Last edited by Rancho; 09-24-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd love to get some addition transmission and t-case skidplates from you guys if you offered them!
Old 09-25-2013, 03:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

X 2! Love your oil pan skid

Quick Reply: Opinion Rancho oil pan skid plate