Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinion please!! Wheels/Tires

Old 05-21-2013, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a side note, if your current Toyo's run true to size, expect the 35" BFG AT's to be smaller.

My 33x12.5x15 BGF AT KO's measure under 32", and actually, I have to have the computer set to 31" for the speedo to read correctly.

Really makes me wish I would have gotten the 35's
Old 05-21-2013, 10:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Namtaru
As a side note, if your current Toyo's run true to size, expect the 35" BFG AT's to be smaller.

My 33x12.5x15 BGF AT KO's measure under 32", and actually, I have to have the computer set to 31" for the speedo to read correctly.

Really makes me wish I would have gotten the 35's

Actually that's true. I've seen a lot of people with 35s that measure smaller than my 34s. Those Toyos are pretty friggin tall, but they weigh about 15 pounds more than they should
Old 05-30-2013, 06:50 AM
JK Freak

Has anyone gone from a 17" wheel to a 16" wheel on the same size tire? I'm curious if there is any difference in ride quality, like noticeably softer.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

Cool My experience is this:

I'm running the same tire you are in a 35X12.50 17" American Racing wheels. I run them at 45 psi on the street. I'm thinking maybe you should check what type of lift you have. I have an AEV 3 1/2" full suspension lift. This set-up is the smoothest, quietest set-up I've ever had on any modified 4X4 I've owned (I've had 10 starting with a '78 CJ5. This set-up is on a new 2013 Wrangler Sport but on my old 2007Wrangler Unlimited X I had 16" Pro Comp wheels with 35" BFG A/Ts (which I know are great all-around tires since I've had them on 7 or 8 of my 4X4's. The Toyos I have now are just as quiet as the A/Ts were, which blows my mind. And like I said the ride on this Toyo/American Racing combo is so much smoother than the Terraflex 2 1/2" lift I had on the '07. Since we're basically running the same set-up in a different size, it makes me think maybe it's your lift/shocks. I'm not saying the Terraflex is a bad product because the one I had on the '07 was their budget lift and the AEV I have now is one level below their top of the line. I also had bad front end shimmy with the Terraflex and ended up putting on a Black Diamond steering stabilizer which cleared that up for me. No such problems with the AEV.....their lift, even with the bigger tires, has a better ride quality than it did stock, no kidding! I guess with lifts you get what you pay for.

On a side note, I'm going to put on a cold air intake, a cat-back exhaust and a computer programmer to improve power. I'm going to do the programmer last because I want to have the C/A Intake and Cat-Back on first. What order do you guys recommend for installation (since I can only afford to do it piecemeal)......Cold Air Intake or cat-Back Exhaust first?

And good luck Bro....whichever way you decide to go!

P.S. - Forgot to mention that the AEV came with Bilstein shocks which are just outstanding shocks!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

Cool My experience is this:

I'm running the same tire you are in a 35X12.50 17" American Racing wheels. I run them at 45 psi on the street. I'm thinking maybe you should check what type of lift you have. I have an AEV 3 1/2" full suspension lift. This set-up is the smoothest, quietest set-up I've ever had on any modified 4X4 I've owned (I've had 10 starting with a '78 CJ5. This set-up is on a new 2013 Wrangler Sport but on my old 2007Wrangler Unlimited X I had 16" Pro Comp wheels with 35" BFG A/Ts (which I know are great all-around tires since I've had them on 7 or 8 of my 4X4's. The Toyos I have now are just as quiet as the A/Ts were, which blows my mind. And like I said the ride on this Toyo/American Racing combo is so much smoother than the Terraflex 2 1/2" lift I had on the '07. Since we're basically running the same set-up in a different size, it makes me think maybe it's your lift/shocks. I'm not saying the Terraflex is a bad product because the one I had on the '07 was their budget lift and the AEV I have now is one level below their top of the line. I also had bad front end shimmy with the Terraflex and ended up putting on a Black Diamond steering stabilizer which cleared that up for me. No such problems with the AEV.....their lift, even with the bigger tires, has a better ride quality than it did stock, no kidding! I guess with lifts you get what you pay for.

On a side note, I'm going to put on a cold air intake, a cat-back exhaust and a computer programmer to improve power. I'm going to do the programmer last because I want to have the C/A Intake and Cat-Back on first. What order do you guys recommend for installation (since I can only afford to do it piecemeal)......Cold Air Intake or cat-Back Exhaust first?

Old 05-30-2013, 11:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JAHII

P.S. - Forgot to mention that the AEV came with Bilstein shocks which are just outstanding shocks!!!

I imagine you are running D range tires, and not E range like mine? I have a few buddies that run the Toyo 35X12.5 and they are softer because they aren't 10 ply. Also I COMPLETELY AGREE that Terraflex stuff is not that great (had it on my last JK and was not impressed even at the low price). I am currently running Rock Krawler coils on FOX shox that I had custom valved as soft as they could. I was running the EVO plush coils before that, so I think I've set up my Jeep literally as soft as a suspension could be. And still with that, the tires ran rough.

I do appreciate your input though, and I've thought about the AEV or OME kit as they have great review for ride quality.

As for intake/exhaust/programmer, I wouldn't waste the time. I spent a grand on that set up for my 2012 and took all of it off two months later. Back to running stock and so much happier with the amount of torque I gained just from having a little thing called back-pressure.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

Default No....on the sidewall it says "E"

Originally Posted by B 1000
I imagine you are running D range tires, and not E range like mine? I have a few buddies that run the Toyo 35X12.5 and they are softer because they aren't 10 ply. Also I COMPLETELY AGREE that Terraflex stuff is not that great (had it on my last JK and was not impressed even at the low price). I am currently running Rock Krawler coils on FOX shox that I had custom valved as soft as they could. I was running the EVO plush coils before that, so I think I've set up my Jeep literally as soft as a suspension could be. And still with that, the tires ran rough.

I do appreciate your input though, and I've thought about the AEV or OME kit as they have great review for ride quality.

As for intake/exhaust/programmer, I wouldn't waste the time. I spent a grand on that set up for my 2012 and took all of it off two months later. Back to running stock and so much happier with the amount of torque I gained just from having a little thing called back-pressure.
As far as the C/A Intake, Exhaust and Programmer, I put a Volant C/A Intake on an '06 Cadillac CTS and noticed an immediate gain in acceleration from a standstill start. Maybe it has to do with the brand? Anyone?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the Nitto Trail Grapplers 35x17x12.50. I'm not positive but I think its D rated tire, I know it's much softer then the Toyo's. I'm running them at 26psi on road and 6psi on trail. They have held up well after almost 22,000 miles on and off road. Also sharp looking rig!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronin2120
I'm running the Nitto Trail Grapplers 35x17x12.50. I'm not positive but I think its D rated tire, I know it's much softer then the Toyo's. I'm running them at 26psi on road and 6psi on trail. They have held up well after almost 22,000 miles on and off road. Also sharp looking rig!

Thank you for the complement! According to Nitto's website, they only make E-range 35"s on 17" wheel. And if you're saying that it's softer than the Toyos, that's good to know. I'll have to drive in a few other Jeeps before spending the money to go down to 16" wheels.

Quick Reply: Opinion please!! Wheels/Tires