Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinion on light duty springs or heavy duty....

Old 03-26-2009, 04:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on light duty springs or heavy duty....

I'm getting the OME coil lift so I can clear my 33x12.5's. When my sway bar is disconnected, they rub. Im planning on adding a stubby front bumper soon and a skid plate for the sway bar and steering. Do you think I'm in need of the heavy duty springs or the light duty springs? Should I maybe stick with the philosophy of a little more lift is a good thing? Also, I guess David at Northridge has put together a complete package with adjustable control arms, extended swa bar links, brake lines, bump stops, and adjustable track bars for this kit. My goal is to get my caster where it needs to be. Does anybody have any advice for a heavy duty steering stabilizer as well?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:51 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

being that you have a 2-door, i think you will find that the light duty coils will do the job fine even with all the extra weight you are planning to add. the HD coils will end up giving you more like 3"+ of lift and that's not needed for 33's.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:46 AM
jpp
JK Enthusiast

The Standard duty springs will also ride a little nicer. If you are not adding much weight, they are probably the best choice.

One thing to keep in mind is that the OME kit does not add bumpstop extensions and while disconnected, you will likely still rub with their kit.

Last edited by jpp; 03-26-2009 at 06:49 AM. Reason: missed a key word in there...
Old 03-26-2009, 06:50 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a 4 door so it may not apply to you, but I have 33's and HD springs. Disconnected I've pulled out the rear clips on my front fenders more then once. This can be fixed with bump stop extension. As soon as you throw a winch at it IMO you're going to probably want the HD's or spacers.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

It doesn't really matter how much lift you add. If you don't do something to limit up-travel, your tires are still going to rub at full compression. The only thing that will stop you from rubbing is if you add bump stops, or trim your fenders, or do a body lift.

Quick Reply: Opinion on light duty springs or heavy duty....