Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Operation increase gas mileage with 37's!!

Old 08-24-2013, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Operation increase gas mileage with 37's!!

Ok so I just started thinking because I really want to save a couple pennies.. Now I'm kit complaining and I one when I got my tires that I was going to have shitty mpg... But I drive a little further for work to my new shop and want to try and save even just a couple. I have a 2010 JKU sport auto.. 37" MTR/k's and have 5.13 gears... I do use a procal but know that is a simple fix.. Looking for anything and any feedback with other 37" dd's! Exhaust, headers, throttle body spacer.. Any input?

Also I have a knock off AEV snorkel.. First gen look a like!

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-24-2013, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a RR snorkel, Superchip Traildash, Magnaflow catback and K&N high flow filter. Gain around 2 to 2.5 MPG.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tnt008
I have a RR snorkel, Superchip Traildash, Magnaflow catback and K&N high flow filter. Gain around 2 to 2.5 MPG.
I like the chip! And you are talking about just the filter by k&n?
Old 08-24-2013, 05:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

So you are looking to pick up mpg's regardless of roi? If it takes 10 or 15 years to pay for itself in gas savings, that's cool?

Just an opinion, but change your driving style, or drop to smaller AT tires to increase mpg. Add performance components to increase power, any extra mpg they might give is a bonus.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
So you are looking to pick up mpg's regardless of roi? If it takes 10 or 15 years to pay for itself in gas savings, that's cool?

Just an opinion, but change your driving style, or drop to smaller AT tires to increase mpg. Add performance components to increase power, any extra mpg they might give is a bonus.
Sorry but roi? And I've have these wheels and tires on with the gears for almost 70k miles. I was throwing the idea of going to 35's but I love my 37's!
Old 08-24-2013, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh sorry roi = return on investment. I'd like to addy he performance and increase it! Anything helps since the jeep is never going anywhere!
Old 08-24-2013, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HiHoSilver
I like the chip! And you are talking about just the filter by k&n?
Yeah, just the drop in air filter.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tnt008

Yeah, just the drop in air filter.
Ill do that in the mean time while figuring everything else out. I like the disable sport... But there were so many options and that's why I settled with the procal.. Cheap, simple and easy!
Old 08-24-2013, 06:39 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

A tuner instead of the procal may be the best bang for the buck.

Ripp long tube headers have some good reviews, but are fairly pricey. An exhaust may sound better and add a bit of power, depending on the rest of the system, but again, pricey for the minimal gains. (another opinion, but the best part of a new exhaust is just getting it tucked up out of the way.) Throttle bodies had a following a few years ago, but I never saw that they really added any verifiable performance, and no one seems to talk about them anymore. CAI's also had a following, but not so much anymore, except for talk about how water will get in easier.

I guess to see any real gains, you will need to do it all, not just one. But it's gonna add up quick.

And I don't blame you about not wanting to drop down to 35's. Maybe consider a daily driver set of 35's and swap to the 37's for your weekend outings? (for a long while, I was running a set of 35" at's for winter, and 37" mt's for summer. Don't know that I would swap every weekend, though. Just throwing out the option...)

Last edited by nthinuf; 08-24-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
A tuner instead of the procal may be the best bang for the buck.

Ripp long tube headers have some good reviews, but are fairly pricey. An exhaust may sound better and add a bit of power, depending on the rest of the system, but again, pricey for the minimal gains. (another opinion, but the best part of a new exhaust is just getting it tucked up out of the way.) Throttle bodies had a following a few years ago, but I never saw that they really added any verifiable performance, and no one seems to talk about them anymore. CAI's also had a following, but not so much anymore, except for talk about how water will get in easier.

I guess to see any real gains, you will need to do it all, not just one. But it's gonna add up quick.

And I don't blame you about not wanting to drop down to 35's. Maybe consider a daily driver set of 35's and swap to the 37's for your weekend outings? (for a long while, I was running a set of 35" at's for winter, and 37" mt's for summer. Don't know that I would swap every weekend, though. Just throwing out the option...)
Thanks for the input! I think once I get the programmer it'll be better to swap tires out.. I think I know where the procal is but I don't know.

Quick Reply: Operation increase gas mileage with 37's!!