Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which one RE or TF budget boost?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:48 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam3612
Stan has the TF 2.5 BB in stock which is nice because overall its a pretty complete kit that even comes with new rear links but I read somewhere on here that the TF 2.5 BB actually gives you like 3.5 in the front and the 3 in the back Doesnt add up somehow and I really dont want to get into CA's, trackbars and driveshafts.
You must have read about the 2.5 COIL lift The BB spacers are 2.5in, so......thats how much lift you get unless some gnome springles magic grow on them, that's what you get.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
You must have read about the 2.5 COIL lift The BB spacers are 2.5in, so......thats how much lift you get unless some gnome springles magic grow on them, that's what you get.
So as long as I stick with the TF 2.5 BB I'll actually get no more than 2.5" of lift? Never thought i'd hear myself say this about getting less lift but.. good haha. I'd like to do coils just for the hell of it but A. I dont need them B. Getting the coil+shock kit puts me more over budget than I already am, nevermind the trackbars, CA's etc that i'd have to buy. It's the damn tires that are killing my budget, $1800 CDN for 5 Duratracs, mounted, installed, balanced etc, Goodyear has some sort of mail in rebate promo on where they give ya .10 back on every dollar you spend on just tires so I guess I can knock $150 off the $1800 but im still over budget by a cpl hundred bucks. Damn you people and your awesome jeeps!

Last edited by Adam3612; 02-26-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:56 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkjeep
What MKjeep said....I think you looked up the 2.5" TF coil lift...this will give you over 3" of lift on the JKU and close to 4" with a 2 door. You want the TF 2.5" performance budget 2.5" with either shock extensions or new shocks. (Page 3 of Northridge4x4.ca in the suspension lift section. This will give you only the 2.5" of lift and don't need to get into the CA, Trac Bars, etc.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:59 AM
JK Jedi

So as long as I stick with the TF 2.5 BB I'll actually get no more than 2.5" of lift? Never thought i'd hear myself say this about getting less lift but.. good haha. I'd like to do coils just for the hell of it but A. I dont need them B. Getting the coil+shock kit puts me more over budget than I already am, nevermind the trackbars, CA's etc that i'd have to buy.
Actually I prefer a smaller lift...give you better C.O.G. you are not so tippy. I thought I would suggest the coils...JUST in case you want a new bumper and winch down the road..as I went with the BB and now I am going with coils due to the bumpers and winch creating lots of sag. I was lucky I could use my bumpstops and mono shocks from my RE 2" BB with the OME coilspring kit to help with the costs.

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 02-26-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Actually I prefer a smaller lift...give you better C.O.G. you are not so tippy. I thought I would suggest the coils...JUST in case you want a new bumper and winch down the road..as I went with the BB and now I am going with coils due to the bumpers and winch creating lots of sag. I was lucky I could use my bumpstops and mono shocks from my RE 2" BB with the OME coilspring kit to help with the costs.
The OME coils will work with the RE kit? Thats awesome. I think i'm leaning more towards the TF kit because it comes with the sway links and I think some sort of bracket for re-centering the axle (maybe thats the coil kit) but I really like the RE one too.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:15 AM
JK Freak

I love my RE kit, BUT if you're going BB, then the TF is hard to beat. If you're just getting into wheeling and just want a lift to clear bigger tires then I would do the TF 2.5" BB with pucks and shock extensions. Its cheaper and it still retains the stock components. Then, if/when you do wheel and figure out what you like/don't like in wheeling, you can step up from there with different lifts. You may decide you love the stock ride and just keep the BB for a little longer. You may decide that you want more flex and bigger tires at which point you'd move up to a more complete lift. IMO, for a new jeeper, the TF 2.5" BB with pucks and extensions is a SUPER CHEAP way to get some better breakover angles on the unlimited's and a great way to figure out exactly what you want in your rig(i think we'd all agree that that has changed since we got our Jeeps)

Good luck with the build!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:21 AM
JK Jedi

The OME coils will work with the RE kit? Thats awesome. I think i'm leaning more towards the TF kit because it comes with the sway links and I think some sort of bracket for re-centering the axle (maybe thats the coil kit) but I really like the RE one too.
The RE kit will work with the OME coils just need to remove the coil spacers & stock coils and leave the RE monoshocks and bumpstops. However, if you go with the HD Coils you will need CA, Trac Bars, etc as this will give you about 3-3.25" of total lift. I discussed this with Stan and David on this one. I believe the TF BB comes with new rear links and for sure the trac bar bracket.

However, I got talked into the Adj JKS trac bars over adding the brackets to center the axles...by Stan, David and WOL (Eddie) but the bracket WILL work that comes with the TF kit if you even need it at all to center the axle.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NGINIER
I love my RE kit, BUT if you're going BB, then the TF is hard to beat. If you're just getting into wheeling and just want a lift to clear bigger tires then I would do the TF 2.5" BB with pucks and shock extensions. Its cheaper and it still retains the stock components. Then, if/when you do wheel and figure out what you like/don't like in wheeling, you can step up from there with different lifts. You may decide you love the stock ride and just keep the BB for a little longer. You may decide that you want more flex and bigger tires at which point you'd move up to a more complete lift. IMO, for a new jeeper, the TF 2.5" BB with pucks and extensions is a SUPER CHEAP way to get some better breakover angles on the unlimited's and a great way to figure out exactly what you want in your rig(i think we'd all agree that that has changed since we got our Jeeps)

Good luck with the build!
I thought about the extensions as well but I have the stock Sahara shocks which arent terrible but arent that good either, the TF 9550's are a definite improvement over them and Stan quoted me a pretty fair price for the kit w/shocks.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:09 PM
JK Jedi

I thought about the extensions as well but I have the stock Sahara shocks which arent terrible but arent that good either, the TF 9550's are a definite improvement over them and Stan quoted me a pretty fair price for the kit w/shocks.
Did you place your order with Stan for the TF BB???
Old 02-26-2010, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Did you place your order with Stan for the TF BB???
Nope not yet

Quick Reply: Which one RE or TF budget boost?