Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

One LCA longer than the other?????

Old 11-20-2012, 03:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One LCA longer than the other?????

I had a pull to the right after installing an AEV 3.5 kit. caster could get no where close to factory of 4.2 and 4.4 like they advertise with their drop brackets. shop did all kinds of troubleshooting. if you can think of it it was done. Was told I had to put Adjustable LCA's along with the drop brackets to help set caster. (stlill no straight answer of why it ever pulled right and why caster could not be set.. no one knows) Problem is that the LCA on the right is set about an inch longer than the left. Needless to say the pull is out, It was re aligned and seems to be fine. How bad is it to have one control arm that much longer than the other?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe one of the drop brackets was mis-manufactured. If the problem didn't exist before the lift, it can't be the control arms or else the problem wouldn't be new.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:24 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

It seems like that would put the axle in a major bind.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

no wheeling... mostly pavement and occasional camping, exploration, dirt trail.......Do I really have to worry about anything?? sorry guys, my first jeep and first suspension lift experience.. learning as i go!!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:26 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by kjboudreau
I had a pull to the right after installing an AEV 3.5 kit. caster could get no where close to factory of 4.2 and 4.4 like they advertise with their drop brackets. shop did all kinds of troubleshooting. if you can think of it it was done. Was told I had to put Adjustable LCA's along with the drop brackets to help set caster. (stlill no straight answer of why it ever pulled right and why caster could not be set.. no one knows) Problem is that the LCA on the right is set about an inch longer than the left. Needless to say the pull is out, It was re aligned and seems to be fine. How bad is it to have one control arm that much longer than the other?
You installed brackets to adjust the caster, If you are going to install adjustable control arms the brackets are pointless.

If it were my jeep, I would call AEV and see what they say.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kjboudreau
Standard question when a new lift has problems: Was everything torqued down AFTER the Jeep was sitting on its wheels?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris@offroadevolution
You installed brackets to adjust the caster, If you are going to install adjustable control arms the brackets are pointless.

If it were my jeep, I would call AEV and see what they say.
Ding, Ding, Ding!!! Exactly what I was going to say. Adding adjustable control arms will allow you to adjust castor, however with the AEV brackets they are not required. Call AEV and see what they say.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd call AEV but I'd also have another shop take a look at it..

1st they should know that if you get adjustable arms then you don't really need the brackets.
2nd one arm is an inch longer... that doesn't even make sense..

Something must be bent or installed wrong or maybe the 1 inch thing is just an exaggeration by the shop..
Old 11-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Seems like having one arm an inch longer would put the front axle in a bind and cause premature failure on the control arm bushings. Isn't that putting a twist on the axle tube?

Quick Reply: One LCA longer than the other?????