Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

One last debate between Dirtydog and Spiderweb Shade...

Old 07-21-2013, 11:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not take the top off?
Old 07-21-2013, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

I'm waiting for my spiderweb now. should be herre soon.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't want to sound like I jerk but this is really funny and I even bought one!

We need a mesh top when we want to drive a convertible so we don't get sun burn! #first world problems
Old 10-09-2013, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default SWS for 4 door

I've had the SWS for a couple of years. I don't use it as much as I thought I would, for a couple of reasons: 1) takes away from the open air feeling -- does a great job of blocking out the sun but unless it's above 90 and beating down sun I tend to just run open air. 2) bungee balls are not my favorite to work with -- at least when they're so tight like these are. Seems so tight that it's tough on the fingers to put on (and take off) and it seems the bungee cables really dig into the roll bar covers. However, if you plan on leaving in place most of the summer it's certainly nice that it doesn't really interfere with the soft top (although you have to remove a few of the front bungees).

As far as flapping - there isn't much. I notice the "wind blowing through screen" noise more than any flapping. It did however wear through my rear roll bar cover in the back corners. I just replaced my worn and faded roll bar covers with the Rugged Ridge vinyl covers (which are nice by the way). Hoping the SWS won't be as hard on vinyl as it was on the stock covers. Toward the end of this summer I started putting the back of the SWS under the back roll bar cover rather than over it and that seems to work fine although a little more flapping since it's not as tight that way or supported across the back nearly as well as when wrapped over the bar. Did this both because it seemed so hard to wrap those back two bungee balls all the way around and secondly because of the roll bar cover wearing issue. I also switched to larger bungees with plastic hooks instead of the balls for the two back corners. Much nicer to work with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	roll bar cover wearing from SWS.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	503963

Overall glad to have it, especially for those 90+ sunny days. A much better option than baking in the sun or closing up shop and turning on the A/C -- just doesn't feel right to drive a Jeep that way!

Anyone else notice any wearing in the back corners from the SWS? The scuffing in the photo is likely more pronounced due to the fact I painted my roll bar covers last year.

Last edited by empty_pockets; 10-10-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by empty_pockets
Anyone else notice any wearing in the back corners from the SWS? The scuffing in the photo is likely more pronounced due to the fact I painted my roll bar covers last year.
Mine looked the same way after one 10 hour trip to Yosemite while being doorless. Didn't get around to pulling the roll bar covers off this year, maybe next.

Swapped out my SWS for a Trektop NX, didn't care for the shade and the sun cuts straight through it in 100+ weather. Had the Ultra version with grommets for the hardtop, first time pulling the velcro covers off the grommet it pulled the grommet out of the shade. Sent an email, they said it was a known problem and they were going to replace it and wanted pics, sent pics, no replies from them after that even with multiple emails.

Definitely prefer the Trektop NX in safari mode. Solid shade, extra protection getting caught off gaurd with rain, and I don't have to call a buddy over to get the hardtop back on when it rains. If I wanted to get a shade again, I'd probably be looking at Trek Armors. 2007-13 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR JK FULL VIEW SUN SHADE TOP
Old 10-10-2013, 11:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not trying to take money out of anybodies pockets, but I saw these and thought they looked like a great idea until I saw the price! I did a little research and found a DIY write up and made my own from materials bought at llowes for less than $30! I love my home made sunshade!
Old 10-11-2013, 04:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Shearlow
I'm not trying to take money out of anybodies pockets, but I saw these and thought they looked like a great idea until I saw the price! I did a little research and found a DIY write up and made my own from materials bought at llowes for less than $30! I love my home made sunshade!
Link to the material you used?
Old 10-11-2013, 05:06 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by mudbug79
Link to the material you used?
I have had my SWS for six months and love it. It is an awesome product and will be putting one on all of our Jeeps.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Advance Adapters
I have had my SWS for six months and love it. It is an awesome product and will be putting one on all of our Jeeps.
Totally agree!
Old 10-11-2013, 09:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shearlow
It all depends on what your time is worth!

Quick Reply: One last debate between Dirtydog and Spiderweb Shade...