Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Onboard Air Tank

Old 01-14-2014, 06:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Onboard Air Tank

Did anyone mount an air tank (or multiple tanks) rather than using a compressor for airing up tires after off-roading?

I'm thinking an 11 gallon air tank (or a couple of 5 gallon) from HF aired up to 110 pounds or so might be enough to get my 35s from 15 back up to 33. Any ideas on where to mount it (them)?

I've seen the high pressure CO2 cylinders but I was looking for an inexpensive alternative that I could refill for free at the truck stop or with my garage compressor.

No idea is too crazy.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
Did anyone mount an air tank (or multiple tanks) rather than using a compressor for airing up tires after off-roading?

I'm thinking an 11 gallon air tank (or a couple of 5 gallon) from HF aired up to 110 pounds or so might be enough to get my 35s from 15 back up to 33. Any ideas on where to mount it (them)?

I've seen the high pressure CO2 cylinders but I was looking for an inexpensive alternative that I could refill for free at the truck stop or with my garage compressor.

No idea is too crazy.

i run a 5 gallon and suppose you could run another quite easily. Honestly i tihnk its a waste of space and money, id just do a common set up or drive onroad aired down to a gas station. ive rode on road at about 35-45 at 8psi with no problems, and my on road psi is 18-20 summer and 20-22 winter. Id have no problem running 15 psi to go get air. I have since upgraded to a 5gal tank and dual viar 444cs wich cost about 330 shipped. Not super cheap, but also easy and no need to refill co2 or anything like that. Even an 11 gallon tank at 120 psi i think would be a stretch to fill up the tires.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a tank off an 18 wheeler it's like 5-7 gal. I can air up about 2 tires for 15-30psi without the compressor. You would have to have a huge tank not to need a compressor. I mounted my tank were the stock muffler was and built a skid plate.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:57 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just do Co2 20lb and air away.....
Old 01-14-2014, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Has anyone seen a Self Contained Breathing Air Bottle used? I was offered a couple Scott 4.5 1 hour bottles.. That's 4500 PSI not really sure of the volume (85 Cubic feet?) but I know you can regulate the outlet pressure..

Last edited by Garvey; 01-14-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Onboard Air Tank