Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Onboard Air Solutions?

Old 06-25-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blues 2
I researched this for a while prior to deciding I could not justify spending upwards of 300 bucks or more on an on board air solution. I ended up buying a cheap compressor from a local auto store for less than 55 bucks. That compressor is quiet, and aired up my tires from 20 to 35 in an amount of time that I am willing to wait. If I end up using that little compressor until it breaks, I will go one of two routes, a power inverter and small portable compressor, or the portable constant duty Viair. I still have a problem shelling out money for a compressor that I can only use around a 12v power source...
The QMaxx $49 air compressor that I bought from Costco and is available at PepBoys is what I used for the longest time. I just got tired of being the last person to air up on the trails. Everyone else either has a viair, york, or CO2. I didn't want CO2 as you have to get it refilled and couldn't imagine what would happen in an accident. Also sometimes the lines freeze up with CO2 because they get too cold. And with York and Viair I couldn't see spending over $250 on something that JUST airs up my tires. I had seen other's custom on board setups using multiple pumps and air tanks and thought "that's a little too complicated for me" with all the wiring and mounting of tanks and pumps. So when I saw this $99 compressor with built-in air tanks at PepBoys for $99 that will air up the tires in half the time the little $50 one will, I thought "man I need to figure out how to use this in the jeep". Well if I was to spend over $250 on this it better do more than just air up my tires. And by getting the 2000W power inverter (however absurd that may seem) I am able to air up my tires super fast as well as use it for other things. Plus I can use airtools with this pump. For me it was a win-win situation. For $350 I can now use air tools, air up my tires superfast, plug in whatever household devices I could want (comes in handy when camping) and also, the compressor is not permanently mounted so if it fails or breaks I can just easily replace it with a new one.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:58 PM
***erator

Originally Posted by rubicondevil07
Went with the Viair 10007 system. I haven't mounted it up yet though. Waiting to remove stock muffler on Friday. Looks super simple to install though. Except for the 8 AWG wire needed to run from batt all the way to the back to the compressor everything looks like it is there.
Did you ever do the install? got any pictures of the tank location?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pkess3
.....And by getting the 2000W power inverter (however absurd that may seem) I am able to air up my tires super fast as well as use it for other things. Plus I can use airtools with this pump. For me it was a win-win situation. For $350 I can now use air tools, air up my tires superfast, plug in whatever household devices I could want (comes in handy when camping) and also, the compressor is not permanently mounted so if it fails or breaks I can just easily replace it with a new one.
Dude, I think your solution rocks!
Old 08-18-2009, 02:09 PM
JK Freak

We went wheeling with a TJ this last weekend that had BOTH a Powerplant and the Viair constant duty system (it was the one with dual compressors and a 2.5 gal tank). When I asked him if I could bum some air he hooked up his powerplant. I asked why the powerplant and not the tank, he said the powerplant was faster. He's said he's never had a problem with his winch/compressor and he's never worried about something breaking and him being without both winch and air.

Before this I was considering a seperate compressor/tank system but after using the power plant which filled my 35's from 15-26 in maybe 4 minutes, I'm going to start saving for the powerplant. Also saves some space not having a tank.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a York setup in my old '86 CJ-7. If you set the idle high with the throttle lock, it would outperform my big shop compressor hands down.

Airing up tires is nice and all, but when someone breaks down, being the hero with the working air tools on the trail is pretty cool.

Electric compressors are easy, but even the best of them are wimps compared to a York 210. setup.

Once I get the hemi in, I'll be looking for a way to run a York setup off of it. If I can find the room.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Jedi

Look at the PowerTank CO2 system. I fill up my 37s 4 times off a tank. David at Alpha Expedition sells them. See Below link I also installed a on bourd air system ARB to use in emergency or as a back up.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been looking at the Smittybilt XRC10HD setup. It's basically a take off the Warn PowerPlant idea for about half the price and includes it's own tank. I know Smittybilt has a mixed reputation with thier winches due to the early models but I've not read any bad reviews of thier recent set ups.

I don't plan on using my winch that often as I don't do extreme off roading. But having been to several wrench days where there's only one compressor I'm beginning to think having one on my JK would be an excellent idea.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Now that is in my price range for a winch and compressor combo!
Old 08-19-2009, 11:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neoxxis
Hey Kat, what does the ProCal have to do with this?
I'm guessing it up's the idle of the vehicle and therefor raises the output of the alternator to keep up with the current draw... but I didn't think the alernators output was pegged to the RPM range.

Unless he's running a York and misspoke when he said electric.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This would be my choice

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...JK-AIR-PACKAGE

Inexpensive, Easy and out of the way to mount. Runs good.

David

Quick Reply: Onboard Air Solutions?