Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Onboard Air Solutions?

Old 06-24-2009, 02:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Onboard Air Solutions?

I've been considering doing an onboard air solution for quite some time now and have been trying to get some ideas from people who use them. I basically see them in 4 basic catagories.

1.) Power Take Off
Pros:
Large compression ability. Can run large air tools. Works as long as the engine does.

Cons:
Engine must be running. Usually no storage tank. Requires modifying the drive belt for the vehicle and possibly voiding warrenty. Saps engine power when in use.

2.) Canister
Pros:
Portable. Cheap.

Cons:
Limited use. Cannot power air tools. Once drained has to be recharged.

3.) Winch/Compressor Combo
Pros:
All in one unit. Can run air tools. Easy to install.

Cons:
Expensive. If it breaks your winch may be useless too.

4.) Electric Powered
Pros:
Many available kits. Can run air tools. Usually comes with a tank. Easy to install. Compact.

Cons:
Many parts to some kits. May not be able to run air tools.

Which ones are you guys running? How do you like them?
Old 06-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Jsr
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running the Viair 100% Duty Cycle OBA Kit (10007)
Liking it allot. Air's up tires in no time.
Getting into running airtools don't anticipant any concerns running them.

I did upgrade the tank to their 200psi 2.5 gallon.
I still have the original 150psi 2.5 gallon.

Reason:
Well I personally didn't like running up to the max capacity of the tank and holding it at that psi. Pressure Relay ON/110psi OFF/150psi.

No complaints.
Jsr.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:29 PM
JK Newbie

I am running the same kit as above, minus the 200 psi tank, and no complaints other than it is loud. I have mine all mounted in the back though so it is expected. The pressure switch came wired and labeled and the install was pretty simple. I run it straight off the battery to an on off switch that goes to the pressure switch, works like a champ. If anything I want a large tank or just another 2.5 to make 5 gallons of stored air. I use it mostly for my air horn, but it comes in handy with small air tools, and airing up mine or the neighbors tires.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Here's what I did. I wanted to be able to use a 2 horsepower air compressor with built-in 2 gallon tanks that was selling at a local automotive shop for $99. But the problem was that it runs off of 14 amps and plugs into a wall outlet. Well they also had a 2000 watt power inverter that can run 17 amps. I had recently replaced my factory battery (melted during a run) with a yellowtop Optima so it was ready to handle the loads that using a heavy duty inverter like this would put on a battery. Well the inverter was pricey at $250 but then again so much more can be used with an inverter like this, such as a portable fridge, microwave, drills, laptops and other misc. tools and just the convenience of being able to use a wall outlet on the go. Well it works great! Only problem is that if you have a two-door, the pump takes up some room in the back but with my 4-door it's not bad. I anchor it down with a couple ratchet straps and tuck it in behind the driverside back seat. This pump airs up my 34 inch tires from 15psi to 35psi in about a minute and a half. And that's with empty tanks. As they start to fill up it airs up each consecutive tire faster. All together it takes about 10 minutes to get everything out and air up and put everything away.

The 2000 watt power inverter with 4000 watt peak in order to handle the extra power of the compressor upon startup mounted under the front passenger seat.

The 2 horsepower air compressor with two, two-gallon air tanks. I make sure to drain the tanks when I'm finished to let out any condensation and to prevent an explosion. It's situated behind the driverside rear seat:

Here it is with the seat folded down and the jeep full of camping gear:

I plug in a heavy duty rubber hose in through the driverside rear door and fold the rear seat down in order for it to breathe:

Air up all four tires and put everything away in about 10 minutes tops:

I also installed a powerstrip for the front passenger seat:

Eventually I want to run a dual battery setup to ensure I will always be able to start the engine and use powered devices all night long.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:30 PM
JK Super Freak

pkess3 that's rediculious! A 2000W INVERTER!?!

I think I'll pass. But if you were needing to run a nail gun I guess that's one way to do it!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:35 PM
JK Freak

Im running the ORO OBA system with a York compressor. its basically the same setup Ive ran on my TJ's. I think your being a bit pretentious with the voiding warranty thing. Your simply losing the warranty on the belt itself,its a wearable item anyway.
The lack of tank is a moot point as well, because well you can still add a tank. The engine off thing... well if your engine is not running, adding air wont make it start lol.
Not saying the other options are bad, but over the years of using both. Ill go with a york setup everytime if possible.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by stangjeeper
Im running the ORO OBA system with a York compressor. its basically the same setup Ive ran on my TJ's. I think your being a bit pretentious with the voiding warranty thing. Your simply losing the warranty on the belt itself,its a wearable item anyway.
The lack of tank is a moot point as well, because well you can still add a tank. The engine off thing... well if your engine is not running, adding air wont make it start lol.
Not saying the other options are bad, but over the years of using both. Ill go with a york setup everytime if possible.
I guess I'm just leary of bolting things to the block if I don't have to. Everyone who's responded to this question thus far has either said go York or go Viair. I suppose you're right bout adding a tank later although I'm not sure where I'd put it in the front. I could run an air line to the back of the JK and try to tuck it in behind a tail light or something.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my own custom on board air set-up useing 2 electric air compressors and a 2.5 gal tank and will run air tools for a short time. with use of ProCal it will air up my 35's in about 1.25 mins per tire.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

There are dozens of portable compressors to choose from. All will do their rated jobs. I have a great portable compressor from Pep Boys that stays in my recovery-gear bag. It comes out of the Jeep when not out on trails so it doesn't add weight when I don't need it. It doesn't have to be complicated to function. I take about 3 minutes to air up each tire.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

I researched this for a while prior to deciding I could not justify spending upwards of 300 bucks or more on an on board air solution. I ended up buying a cheap compressor from a local auto store for less than 55 bucks. That compressor is quiet, and aired up my tires from 20 to 35 in an amount of time that I am willing to wait. If I end up using that little compressor until it breaks, I will go one of two routes, a power inverter and small portable compressor, or the portable constant duty Viair. I still have a problem shelling out money for a compressor that I can only use around a 12v power source...

Quick Reply: Onboard Air Solutions?