Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OMG not another 1.25" Body Lift thread :0

Old 12-18-2015, 06:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG not another 1.25" Body Lift thread :0

I know what your thinking "OMG another BL thread" but I did my research and can't locate the answer so would love a few opinions.

I've got an '08 Rubicon Unlimited, ordered it new, has 50k on it and is in near flawless condition. It was purchased to tow behind a motor home but no longer. Now it's being used as a grocery getter and poor weather DD by my wife however we're spending more and more time on class 3 to 3.75 trails. The jeep currently has 2" leveling springs, wheel spacers and 33" KM2's. The KM2's are getting tired so I'm thinking of purchasing a set of new '15 Rubicon stock tires and wheels for the DD activities and installing 35's for a little more ground clearance for the trails on the original wheels. Money isn't a big concern, but keeping the Jeep civil enough for the wife to still want to drive it on the bad weather days is a must (she wont like climbing in and out of or listen to gnarly tire noise from a lifted DD'er) Also thinking of pulling an Aframe pop up trailer for medium distances (200 to 400 miles) so keeping this thing as civil as possible is important.

So finally my question; Will 35's fit under my Jeep with the already installed 2" front leveling springs, wheel spacers and adding a RC 1.25" BL or will I have to go to an actual lift? Really like how the Jeep drives, turns and stops on the road now and don't want to screw that up.

Thanks in advance!
Steve
Old 12-18-2015, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

The bigger tires will cause increased tire noise and make it harder to get into, regardless of what you do to the suspension. If by 2" leveling springs you mean you're already getting two inches of lift, then I would put flats on and leave the suspension alone, aside from bump stops. That will fit 35"s.
I live pretty close to you, and in my experience the lower the rig the better for wheeling here, I'd keep it as low as possible to still clear the tires.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a teraflex leveling kit and a RC 1.25 body lift, theres plenty of room for 35's. I have AEV wheels.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can run 35s with 2" coil spacers and wheel spacers. One of the most common entry level setups is a 2" budget boost and 35s. Just need to have enough wheel offset. I can confirm as I ran that setup.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:08 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

A 3.8 with 35's, towing a trailer.

Your current 4.10's may do ok, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to call a few shops for quotes on 4.88's or 5.13's. (which transmission?)

Do you want to swap to flat flares or chop the stock ones? As noted above, that will get you some extra clearance for the bigger tires. If you want to stay with the full stock flares, then you might want a bit more height for the trails. Many people hate body lifts, so be prepared for that. I ran an RC 1.25" for a while, and it served its purpose. Couldn't really see the gap on my dark green 4door, and no ill effects to be noticed other than the slightly higher center of gravity. But I would chop or go to flats as a first option.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

They should fit and work fine for on road driving. You might need to modifit your fenders if they rub when flexing.

I fit 37s with just 3.5 to 4 inches of lift, just had to take 5 min and trim the pinch seams.

Now I am stuffing 42s with just 5" of lift.

Last edited by DigitalPunk; 12-18-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

It depends on what exactly your current set up is, and how much actual lift you got, but you can probably get away with just some small spring spacers. Find out how much actual lift you got, googling stock measurements will get you the numbers you need, then take the appropriate measurements on your jeep. My Teraflex 2.5in. lift gave me 2in. of lift in the front, and about 1.5in. In the back due to the weight I have. I added another 0.5in spacer to the rear because I didn't like the stance. With the appropriate bump stops my 35s fit no problem.

Just my thoughts. Not a fan of body lifts.

Happy Jeeping.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 12-18-2015, 02:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

A body lift to fit 35s on a jk is 100 percent fine. 1.25 is not even noticeable anywhere other than in the fenders on a jk. I am doing the same thing. 1.25" teraflex bl to fit 35s with my stock fenders. I hate the look of flat fenders, cut fenders pocket fenders etc. A 1.25" body lift is un noticeable besides the space in the fender where the tire sits.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the opinions and advice. As for towing the pop-up with the jeep, that's one of the reason I'm keep the stock Rubicon wheels and tires and only going to 35's for a little more clearance when hitting the trails.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have 33s now and towing the pop up is not an issue. Also, add a set of air bags in the rear

Quick Reply: OMG not another 1.25" Body Lift thread :0