Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OME / Sway bar links

Old 08-28-2008, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coldfire
I'll be installing the OME MD kit this Saturday. According to Dave at Northridge, I probably will not need the extended links since its not the HD kit. I have a 2-door Rubicon.

How will I know for sure, though? Is there something specific to measure or look at?
You want your sway bar to be level with the rest of the Jeep. After the lift you will notice the end of the swaybar where the links attach pointing to the ground. It is not very common but when it is sitting like that there is a chance you could bend a link like Crunchy did.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:22 AM
jpp
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChewyGranola
You want your sway bar to be level with the rest of the Jeep. After the lift you will notice the end of the swaybar where the links attach pointing to the ground. It is not very common but when it is sitting like that there is a chance you could bend a link like Crunchy did.

X2. Especially since you have a Rubicon with the E-disconnect. At very least, you could check the For Sale section and get the rear discos from someone else who has taken theirs off. That would be a cheap way to change your fronts with the longer rear ones and not have to worry about it.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I'll see how they look.

Originally Posted by jpp
X2. Especially since you have a Rubicon with the E-disconnect. At very least, you could check the For Sale section and get the rear discos from someone else who has taken theirs off. That would be a cheap way to change your fronts with the longer rear ones and not have to worry about it.
Great idea. Basically, I could run some rears on the front and the leave the stock rears in the back.

With the rears in the front will you still have an interference problem and require moving the stock wheels out or is that just with the aftermarket links.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:27 AM
jpp
JK Enthusiast

The interference problems tend to be in the rear from what I have seen here. You shouln't have any problems using the rears up front.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I also will be installing an OME lift with JKS front and rear track bars. Already have front JKS removable links. I'm replacing an FT BB lift. Any issue with leaving the FT bump stops in place or must they be removed?
Old 08-30-2008, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nealxam
I don't see any problems with keeping the old bump stops.

I have the above set up (see my signature) and will need to BUY bump stops at some point after i get a set of 35's or larger.
What length brake extensions did you get for the OME lift and where did you find the rear extended links?
Old 09-02-2008, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok now I am wondering if I really have the correct OME springs for my 4-door.

Front is heavy duty due to winch and heavy bumper so coils are 619.

Rear is supposed to be medium duty 300 lbs and I have a hard top. Dave at Northridge sent me 617 coils but I think he should have sent me 618s.

Thoughts?
Old 09-08-2008, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kb7our
Ok now I am wondering if I really have the correct OME springs for my 4-door.

Front is heavy duty due to winch and heavy bumper so coils are 619.

Rear is supposed to be medium duty 300 lbs and I have a hard top. Dave at Northridge sent me 617 coils but I think he should have sent me 618s.

Thoughts?
I went through this too. When I received my OME kit, I noticed the rear springs were 617s. After a bit of research I realized that I should have gotten 618s with my Jeep having the hard top and doing a little towing of dirtbikes -n- such. I just exchanged them for the 618s. No biggie.

The 618s will be a bit firmer, but I usually add the weight back with all my stuff. (hard top, gear, dogs, etc...)
Old 09-09-2008, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SMP_70
I went through this too. When I received my OME kit, I noticed the rear springs were 617s. After a bit of research I realized that I should have gotten 618s with my Jeep having the hard top and doing a little towing of dirtbikes -n- such. I just exchanged them for the 618s. No biggie.

The 618s will be a bit firmer, but I usually add the weight back with all my stuff. (hard top, gear, dogs, etc...)
Thanks, SMP 70. I'll wait and see how the 617 rears look once the AEV front bumper and Warn 9500ti are mounted up on front where I have the heavy duty springs to see if the Jeep is level. The OME lift, new bumper, new winch are all underway along with brand new frame and front axle replacement from a front right corner parking lot accident that bent my LOD bumper.

Quick Reply: OME / Sway bar links