Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which OME is right for me?

Old 08-31-2012, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which OME is right for me?

Hey there!
I am new to the forum and have recently decided that it is time to make a few mods to my 2010 JK and I was hoping to get a little clarification and opinions from the other members. I apologize up front if any of these questions seem redundant of other posts - but given the vast array of varying feedback I have gotten from local shops and in reviewing posts I thought a direct approach might work best. I have a 2010 2 DR 6 speed JK Sport with a hardtop. This thing is essentially bone stock sitting on 32" BFG MTs. I am planning to mount a Warn M8000-s and a Poison Spyder Brawler Lite in the next few weeks. From what research I have done I have figured the winch to be approximately 55lbs and the bumper to be about 70lbs (Please correct me if I am wrong). The stock bumper weighs around 24-30lbs from what I can tell from reading up on various posts. That would be an approximate increase of 100lbs to the front of my rig over stock. I plan on having an OME 2" lift installed and wanted to know your opinion on which set-up would best suit my JK (either HD or Standard)? I have spoken with numerous shops, read forums and even talked directly with ARB. Everyone has a different opinion, but was just wondering based off the facts presented if anyone on the forum might be able to offer up theirs? I don't plan on any additional mods at this time. I just want a little bit of lift with the best possible ride and to be able to support the new bumper and winch set-up - it would also be nice to get rid of the front rake and even things out a bit. Nothing super aggressive, just trail confidant. Also, with the proposed mods is there anything I am forgetting? Wheel spacers, etc? Thanks in advance for all your input.

FW JK
Old 08-31-2012, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you planning to add weight to the rear as well?

If so, go with the HD system. If not, go with the standard and use pucks to level the suspension in front.

I have the HD OME setup with no added weight over stock and the suspension is way too stiff.

Hope that helps
Old 09-02-2012, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the response. Definitely helpful! I kinda figured the ride would be pretty rough without the additional weight. I am putting about 100 extra pounds up front with the poison spyder bumper and M8000-s but I just don't think that mod alone really justifies the HD kit. ARB states the Light kit covers up to 90lbs....I am curious as to how they figure the weight of the driver and passengers? Has anyone experienced a considerable amount of sag with this kit?
Old 09-02-2012, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

I ran with an otherwise stock setup on my HD kit for about a year. It didn't feel too stiff to me but it did sit higher than 2", closer to 3.5" I'd guess.

Once you start adding weight (ARB front and rear bumpers and a Warn 9.5 in my case) it will settle closer to 2". I wouldn't sweat the passenger weight, but consider other mods and gear you'll be running with in the future. You might not be planning other mods yet but they're addictive.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I swapped my OME standard springs for HD when I installed a winch- was OK with just the ARB bumper on the front. Gained about 1/2 inch back with the HD springs. Thought about spacers but wanted maximum travel and the spring to be closer tuned to the weight. Really happy with my setup now. Stil using medium rate springs on the back with stock rear bumper.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

2009 2dr and have the standard OME coil springs.
we have aftermarket bumpers, winch, other armor and run nitto 35's (we also have a 2.5 BL).
we have no issues and a great ride and no problems with off road use.
We would not hesitate to buy OME standard coils again.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2Dr JK W/Automatic, Jeep Steel Ft Bumper & Warn 9.5. running on 33's. Very happy with the 2.0 OME HD's & there new Nitro Shocks. In the end these Springs gave me approx 3" lift and an excellent ride.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks again for the responses. Unfortunately, it seems like a bit of a split between the HD and Standard. I am pretty certain I am not interested in a BB. That being said, I would really like any advice on what 2-2.5" lift is truly the best. I know that is a loaded question, but as I said before, I am really only looking for a modest lift to offset the weight gain from an aftermarket front bumper and winch while making my jeep a bit more trail confident. I don't really want to get into the 3+" realm for the simple reason that I like running 32s as they are more than capable for the wheeling I do and anything higher than 2.5 - 3" just makes them look at odds with the set-up. If that makes sense? Any advice on a complete lift that would give me between 2-2.5" would be very much appreciated. I am a huge fan of OME but from what I can gather (with a few exceptions) I can either look forward to a harsh ride with the HDs unless I add weight to the rear or too much sag with the Standards.
Thanks again!
Old 09-09-2012, 12:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I ran an 09 2dr Rubicon which again was pretty light with 615's front and 617's rear. I really don't think you need to go with the H/D option if your running 32 " tyres, you'll get over 3" with the H/D. In the end I fitted an AEV front bumper and Warn 9500 cti winch and just added 3/4" spacers to compensate, at this point I was running 35 BFG KM2's. The ride was smooth, I tried the H/D option and for me it was too harsh. These springs will also work fine with the long travel shocks if you want to upgrade in the future, obviously at that point your into bump stops longer brake lines etc, etc..........

With 33" tires.....

With 35" tires cresting a dune in the Sahara. (not stuck, lol) fairly well laden in this pic obviously..........

Nick

Last edited by nick p; 09-09-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a JKU, and I know it rides smoother because of the longer wheel base but I thought I would chime in on this one. I bought the HD kit and it was a little harsh at first, but when I added an aftermarket front bumper and winch it settled down and I would consider it to be on par if not a little better than stock now, with both bumpers and all the crap I carry around now I still consider it a good decision. If you've ever owned a pickup and thrown a couple of sandbags in the back then you know how much difference a small amount of weight can have on ride quality, this is no different. If you are planning on adding the bumper and winch I would go with the HD kit, that's what it's designed for. I'm not sure what other stuff you would pile on the front to justify the HD kit for some. Also, I ended up with pretty close to 3 inches of lift, I think it has settled some now but it's still well over 2 inches. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Quick Reply: Which OME is right for me?