Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Are ome light duty springs good to use on a 4 door?

Old 01-11-2011, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are ome light duty springs good to use on a 4 door?

alright guys i have bought some OME hd springs to put on the front of my jeep. now i'm trying to decide what to put on the back. Should i go with the hd spring in the rear or the medium duty or even the light duty? i'm lookin for springs that will give the best possible ride and around 2.5 inches of lift. i'm wanting to try and make this thing sit as level as possible as this factory rake is driving me nuts! let me know what you think? Also am i goin to get too much lift out of those front hd springs to run disconnected with stock front driveshaft? david said they give right at 3 inches and should be fine if the shocks dont let it droop to much. so OME guys let's hear it!! thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 03:29 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Dave talked me into OME HD fronts and MD rears. (the theory was that it would level my unlimited with a RR XHD front bumper and 9.5 winch / stock rear bumper). Initially I was level, with a bit over 3 inches up front. Then the rear MD's settled/sagged. Added 1/4" rear spacer to re-level. Sagged again. Now I am running roughly 1/2" rear rake with the soft top on, and maybe 3/4" rear rake with the hard top on. The front HD's still have me over 3" with the heavy bumper/winch.

If you go with HD's front, I would strongly recommend HD's rear also. If you go with MD's, expect them to settle. I personally would not put lights on a 4door...

Some other points to ponder:
I was talked into 'extended' brake lines. First time out, I ripped a rear 'extended' line off the frame. (ran to the hardware store and made extension brackets to add to the 'extended' lines.

I was talked into front disconnects. That lift did not include bumpstops, so when flexed, there was severe contact between the tires and fenders. (enough to rip the fender off if I had been going faster, instead of flexing to check clearances...)

Extended links are a good thing. Add them to your order if you don't already have them coming.

Opinions vary, but 3+" up front gives flighty handling. Consider some form of caster correction. (I hated the handling, and couldn't wait to add new arms.)

I got both adj trackbars with the lift, so can't comment on the need for them.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heavy springs front and back and they work really well with the OME shocks. If you want to level things out I would use coil spacers. Using different springs seems like a very inexact way to accomplish what you want when spacers will make the proper measured correction.

I have not had any problem with the stock drive shaft running disconnected yet, but I can't say that is doesn't concern me. I am probably going to have a closer look at it the next time I have it on a lift, or break it, whichever comes first.

Last edited by Jollydodger; 01-11-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the HD front and rear and like it just fine the rake doesnt bother me, with the OME LT shocks its a great ride
Old 01-11-2011, 06:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am still mid process with my OME lift. But after a year of screwing around here is what I have found:

With a all stock Unlimited.
Front light OME springs (616): 2 3/4"
Rear light OME springs (617): 2"
This set up gave me a level jeep.

I then added a Smittybuilt XRC Stubby and a Warn M8000.
Front light OME springs (616): 2"

Next I upgraded the front springs to HD.
Front hd OME springs (619): 2 3/4"
Again I am basically at a level ride.

I have rear hd OME springs (618) in my garage and will probably put them on before summer. The main reason for the hd springs is that if I put any weight into the back of the jeep it sags. So camping equipment and the family in the jeep makes it look like it is dragging a**.

I do have bumpstops front and rear and so I have no problems. I do not have extended lines nor have I adjusted the rear brake line bracket. I do plan on some brake line mods when I change the rear springs. I also will likely look at adding the lt shocks.

In all I love the ride and have been very happy. I should have saved my money and bought the hd lt OME kit in the first place.
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep nov 13 no 1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	117026
Old 01-11-2011, 09:35 PM
JK Newbie

good looking blue 4 door
Old 01-12-2011, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies guys! now i'm really worried about these OME HD springs on the front of my jeep! So with these springs i should get around or over 3" sounds like. Do you think it will drive very good at all without adding an adjustable trackbar or lower control arms? i want it to drive as good as it does now
Old 01-12-2011, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got 3" on my 2 door with hd springs.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:31 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by daylon101
Thanks for all the replies guys! now i'm really worried about these OME HD springs on the front of my jeep! So with these springs i should get around or over 3" sounds like. Do you think it will drive very good at all without adding an adjustable trackbar or lower control arms? i want it to drive as good as it does now
You will get a bunch of different answers to that, but it is something that nobody can answer for you, since it is based on personal preference and tolerance.

A lot of people will say you'll be ok. (mostly because they either can't afford new arms, or are trying to convince themselves that it really doesn't drive like crap ). As noted above, my opinion is that anything over 3" needs caster correction.

If you haven't found the faq's yet, here is the blurb on caster:

Q: What is Caster? How much do I need?
A: Caster is the angle upon which your front axle sits at in order to help keep your Jeep driving straight. Positive caster, which is what you want, will cause your axle to sit in a way that your pinion shaft will be dipping ever so slightly towards the ground. Too little or even negative caster angle can cause your Jeep to wander and feel 'flighty' or 'darty' as I've heard some people call it. From the factory, your JK will have +4.2° of caster and if you lift it and install larger tires, you will need to increase this amount to help compensate for the modifications. At 3"-4" of lift, I have found that +6°~8° of caster will do wonders to help improve the handling of your Jeep JK Wrangler.
But again, it is a preference. Lift it. Drive it. And come to your own conclusions about adding arms...
Old 01-12-2011, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

I have the HD springs in the front and rear and it rides great. I got a full 3" on both front and rear.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7587.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	117208

Quick Reply: Are ome light duty springs good to use on a 4 door?