Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OME Light Duty, ARB Bumpers, Trackbar and Upper Conrol Arm Install

Old 06-21-2008, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OME Light Duty, ARB Bumpers, Trackbar and Upper Conrol Arm Install

Finally got everything installed (4wheelparts in Memphis, TN) and like everyone has said before...the OME ride is awesome. I went with the "light duty" 616 and 617 springs with an added 3/4" TeraFlex spacer in front. I installed the ARB winch plate on the front bumper (4wd.com) till I bite the bullet on a winch. Went ahead and added JKS Adjustable Track Bars and TeraFlex upper control arms per the suggestion of David at Northridge and had the frontend aligned at install. Driving home running 80 was a breeze without any steering wander or pulling.

Before Lift and Bumpers

After OME Light Duty (616 and 617 springs)

Old 06-21-2008, 03:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Looks fantastic.

The trackbars and the upper control arms are the key to getting the OME setup dialed in.
The more I drive my 2 door Rubicon the more I appreciate the adjustable upper arms. Even with the big 35" Toyos, it's amazing how well it handles with the OME setup and FT trackbars & upper arms.
Do you have any idea what length your Teraflex upper arms were set at?
They may be marginally better than my Full Traction upper arms because they are listed with a shorter minimum length than the FT ones can be set at. For some Jeeps this may be an important factor in order to get acceptable caster.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:54 PM
G16
JK Enthusiast

Looking Good, What did you set your caster at?
Old 06-22-2008, 07:26 AM
JK Freak

Looking good! I just installed an OME lift and JKS adj track bars yesterday. Until now, I have not heard much discussion of installing adj. upper control arms with the OME lift kit. Would like to hear more about them if any forum members care to comment?
Old 06-22-2008, 04:08 PM
JK Freak

Here ya go. The front uppers help to fix the "flighty" steering that some of us have gotten with the OME set up. I just ordered the Teraflex Uppers tonight for myself.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/ome-flighty-steering-help-44528/
Old 06-22-2008, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When I originally put my OME HD kit on I didn't have the trackbars or upper control arms. Besides significant wander, the steering was a bit light and the whole Jeep never felt really connected to the road despite the excellent OME suspension.

The FT track bars fixed a great deal of this and made the Jeep fun to drive at speed, but the steering was still light and imprecise.
The upper control arms, Full Traction set 3/8" under stock length, fixed the steering issues almost completely by increasing caster lost by the lift kit.
I have no idea what my caster is at, I'd estimate 4 to 5 degrees max from others with a similar setups, but any further increase isn't really possible without a set of lower arms, and with a front replacement driveshaft it might not be possible to run any more either way from what I'm told.

I did a routine 102 mile round trip to a jobsite today in the Rubicon, some interstate, a lot of secondary roads and some small towns. The steering barely required any more attention than that of my IS350 Lexus over the same route. (Wish I could say the same about the engine/transmission!)

Quick Reply: OME Light Duty, ARB Bumpers, Trackbar and Upper Conrol Arm Install