Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ome lift needing anything else?

Old 04-30-2009, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ome lift needing anything else?

If i get the ome lift am i going to need to get spacers to level it out i read that around here and i dont want to have to do that hence the reason for getting the lift and i see it doesnt come with bumpstops swaybars etc like the 2.5" teraflex is it not needed is get front and rear tracbars really needed or is that more when you have a bigger lift i mean if my truck is going to be out of whack without i'd get it basically trying to do it right not just cheaper. All i hear is the ride is great what are the pro's about it trying to get a feel for what type of ride it is? Thanks of course guys for your help as always
Old 04-30-2009, 06:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Holy run-on sentence dude.

Which springs are you going with? Heavy front / medium rear would take care of the rake. Or medium front / light rear? If you go with the same rate front/back, yes you'll have some rake to take care of. Then again, how much weight do you have? Heavy bumper and winch up front and stock bumper in back? Stock bumper in front and heavy bumper with tire carrier in back? Dunno...

Trackbars - No, not needed. But how important is centering the axles to you? If you can live with one side about 3/4" further out, don't worry about them yet and add when you get around to it.

Bumpstops - Get them. But, are you going to disconnect? How big are your tires? If you have smaller tires and will not disconnect. Not as much of an issue. (but you may as well throw on a set of fronts while you're putting in the springs anyway...)

Sway bar - Are you going with disco's? If not, get the extended rear links and move the rears up front.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-30-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Axles centered?

What happens if your axles arent completly centered?

Sounds like the Emu kit doenst come too complete like you need to spend a little more than thte 670.00 to reallly be a complete set up?
Old 04-30-2009, 07:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Everyone that I've spoken to loves the Old Man EMU lift. I was going to put one one but the rear springs are on back order for about 3 weeks according to the factory this week. So I went with the Pro Comp 2.5" lift. Has a bit more components and costs less.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

What happens if your axles arent completly centered?
It looks funny...

With a smaller lift and the stock tires - you probably won't even notice the difference. With a larger lift and bigger tires, you'll notice one side sticking out further. (personally, if I were to re-do this lift, I would get a set of adj front CA's before the adj trackbars)

OME is meant to be a basic 2" lift with a great ride at that height. The problem is that we all get the heavy springs, which give well over 3 inches of lift. As you go higher, you need to do more work to offset the height increase. So again, decide how much lift are you looking for, and then start thinking about the need to add any or all of the extras.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-30-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Hate this

See once you start you just keep going so to do a basic 2 2.5 -3 " lift done right will cost you about 1100.00. To know that things aren't centered right and feel like thats what causes problems later in time, and just to know that they arent needed right this second will only bother me, the truck not driving straight or things just not done completly right will def bother me and i wont be able to take it but it seems pointless to do all this for couple inches spend over 1000.00 also concidering i have 33's now and def want bigger but not going to do that until i can regear etc.. and feel like im going to use this lift a little while than when i get bigger tires change the lift gears etc all the good stuff. Im torn cant decide cuz i have 33's and they not stuffed but jsut about stuff and i have wheel spacers but still need a little flex room and some space and just want a lift kit i really dont know what to do because i dont wnat problems with my rig rather dont right than cheap!!

sorry for the run on sentences i do know how to write just used to getting off the point online and not really being very studious thanks
Old 04-30-2009, 08:04 PM
JK Freak

Well dude..that last paragraph was a little tough to understand. An OME HD kit might be the right choice if you are looking to run 35's in the future. You dont need...but should have things like sway bar links, adj. track bars, etc. This stuff isnt cheap but for the most part, it can all be done in phases. Toward the end of your paragraph i think you were talking about tire rub. If you want to wheel for a while with your 33's and just avoid rubbing....get a spacer kit or even just trim your fenders. That way you can save some money while you decide what you want to invest in.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:25 PM
JK Freak

The OME lift doesn't require anything else. Actually any lift under 3.5" doesn't require adjustable track bars. The offset that it creates is negligible and won't affect the ride I measured mine and it was less than 1/2" rear and even less in the front. You don't need any spacers either. The kit comes in two falvors: Heavy load and Medium/light load. If you have an after market front/rear bumpers (heavier that stock), a winch, a bigger spare tire etc... the HD is what you want. If your jeep is stock, and you just want a lift, the Med/light load is great. I have a heavy front bumper with winch, so I ordered the HD springs for the front and the med/light load for the rear since I run the stock 32"s and the stock rear bumper. The ride is a huge improvement over stock, both on and off road, the shocks are the best build shocks I have ever seen, built like a tank.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:34 PM
JK Newbie

I have the heavy duty springs up front and med in rear and still have the rake..and havent even installed front bumper and winch yet. But a set of spacers is an easy fix. And yes ride quality is excellent. Northridge has a pretty complete kit with adjustable trac-bars and all for $925 I believe free shipping But dont quote me
Old 05-01-2009, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I purchased mine from Northridge 4x4. $925 included the front and rear adj. trac bars. In talking to David at Northridge, he explained why the adj. trac are important. When you lift the Jeep your axles will shift. Although the shift is small, you effect the drive shafts as well. You not only change the angle of the drive shaft veritcally, you now change it horizontally! Not recentering your axles will cause more expensive problems later. Why chance it?
I purchased the HD fronts and rears! I gained a total of 4" in the front and 3" in the rear. Once everything settles I'll remeasure. With this set up you shouldn't have any rake! Check out My Project-JK album. The lift made a huge differance! The ride is very smooth. Doesn't even compair to the factory ride! I would definitly recommend this lift!!

Quick Reply: Ome lift needing anything else?