Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OME Lift Installed - Need help with Track Bars

Old 05-16-2011, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OME Lift Installed - Need help with Track Bars

After years of owning JKs I finally got around to modding my latest rig.

This evening I installed an OME Lift kit with the following parts:

Front 2” Coil Springs (OME619)
Rear 2.25” Coil Springs (OME618)
Front Shocks (OME Nitro Charger N196)
Rear Shocks (OME Nitro Charger N198)

Net gain per corner was ~3".

I also installed a JKS Front Adjustable Track Bar.

Questions:
  • My front axle is off center by 1/2 inch. Can it be dialed in further w/ the JKS?
  • My rear axle is off center by a tiny bit over 1 inch. Is this excessive? Should I purchase and install an adjustable rear track bar?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I mounted the same combo you did (onlt 616s in the front, for now), and following the write ups from Project JK I managed to get to less that 1/8" as measured by the alignment shop. Just take you time and play around with it as much as you need. Remember to tight everything back to spec afterwards, and to re-center your steering wheel.

As for the rear, I also ended up with a ~1" on a side, which I hope to correct with an adjustable bar, mostly because I am a bit ... finicky. But overall it should not be a big problem, in the rear. What did you use with the rear track bar?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:09 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hypractv
Questions:
  • My front axle is off center by 1/2 inch. Can it be dialed in further w/ the JKS?
  • My rear axle is off center by a tiny bit over 1 inch. Is this excessive? Should I purchase and install an adjustable rear track bar?

Thanks in advance!
you should be fine as is but, if you wish to correct the position of your axles, adjustable track bars like the kind JKS makes is what i would recommend.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leolito
I mounted the same combo you did (onlt 616s in the front, for now), and following the write ups from Project JK I managed to get to less that 1/8" as measured by the alignment shop. Just take you time and play around with it as much as you need. Remember to tight everything back to spec afterwards, and to re-center your steering wheel.

As for the rear, I also ended up with a ~1" on a side, which I hope to correct with an adjustable bar, mostly because I am a bit ... finicky. But overall it should not be a big problem, in the rear. What did you use with the rear track bar?
At the moment the rear trackbar is the OEM stock bar bolted into the stock location. I have ordered a JKS Rear Adjustable Trackbar.

I too am a bit "finicky" so once I have everything mounted up I will tune the alignment as best I can before going to a shop for final tuning.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
you should be fine as is but, if you wish to correct the position of your axles, adjustable track bars like the kind JKS makes is what i would recommend.
Thanks WOL!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

With the exact same gear I got the front perfect (I had the JKS rear adjustable as well and got it perfect as well.).

Well worth it and was a night and day difference for me from my first test drive and after I recentered everything.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Slightly OT:

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You say a bit over an inch, think about the stress you're putting on that already weak mount
How would an off-centered axle put more stress on that mount??

Back to topic: I have about the same setup and I used a bracket on the left hand side an a brace on the right hand side to reinforce the mounting point.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hypractv
After years of owning JKs I finally got around to modding my latest rig.

This evening I installed an OME Lift kit with the following parts:

Front 2” Coil Springs (OME619)
Rear 2.25” Coil Springs (OME618)
Front Shocks (OME Nitro Charger N196)
Rear Shocks (OME Nitro Charger N198)

Net gain per corner was ~3".

I also installed a JKS Front Adjustable Track Bar.

Questions:

[*]My front axle is off center by 1/2 inch. Can it be dialed in further w/ the JKS?
[*]My rear axle is off center by a tiny bit over 1 inch. Is this excessive? Should I purchase and install an adjustable rear track bar?

Thanks in advance!
I have the same setup.

One full turn of the JKS trackbar should yield 1/8" shift. You should be able to get within 1/8" off center if you take your time.

I got about 2.5" in front and 3" in rear when first installed. After 1000 miles I had to readjust everything (trackbars and links) because the springs settled a bit (now have 2" all the way around).
Old 05-17-2011, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lopezv123
I have the same setup.

One full turn of the JKS trackbar should yield 1/8" shift. You should be able to get within 1/8" off center if you take your time.
Excellent! I ordered a JKS Rear Adjustable Trackbar today. I will get it installed and recenter everything after my 35s go on this Friday.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
It's the angle of the bar and how it pulls on the mount. There are threads here about people getting their rear track bar mounts ripped off. I was just putting out the info that I had stumbled across before.
With a lift the angle gets smaller hence less lateral forces on the mount. However there are other factors into play: longer shocks and springs and bigger tires will increase the lateral forces.

Quick Reply: OME Lift Installed - Need help with Track Bars