Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OME lift install this weekend

Old 05-07-2010, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OME lift install this weekend

I'll be installing my NR4X4/OME lift this weekend. Parts have been purchased. Install directions have been cobbled together (largely using WOL's write-ups for the various parts). is in the fridge.

I'll be installing:

OME LD coils (not HD, as I'm only going for 2-2.5")
JKS front trackbar
JKS rear trackbar
Teraflex lower control arms
NR4X4 adjustable rear swaybar links
Teraflex steering stabilizer
JKS rear spring retainers
and JKS quicker discos

I've already got OME shocks (yellow) on the Jeep. Figure this will take me most of the weekend to pull off but am looking forward to seeing the results.

Millions of thanks to dozens of folks on this site for giving me the knowledge I need to even attempt this myself. If I run into snags, you'll all be hearing from me this weekend!
Old 05-07-2010, 09:14 AM
JK Jedi

Have fun...I enjoyed putting it on my JKU...first ever lift I put on myself with a little help from my friend. It took me 4.5hrs and it helped greatly to have the computer next to me and review WOL photos and write-up if I got stuck. Also, have a few beer afterwards...very rewarding working on your own Jeep.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Good luck.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks! I'm stoked. Also helps me make sure my trail tool kit is up to snuff by knowing exactly what I'll need if stuff starts to break.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:35 PM
JK Super Freak

You should have no problems. I did mine in about 4 hours, minus the control arms.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepmedic
You should have no problems. I did mine in about 4 hours, minus the control arms.
Looking at it, the springs are the only thing that concern me at all. If I need a compressor, I can "borrow" one from Autozone, but it seems most people get by without one.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:50 PM
JK Jedi

u should not need a compressor. loosen all your control arms and track bar before tryin to put the new ones in. that will make the axle go down further.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did almost the exact set up around Halloween. I didn't have the jks rear retainers and I added front and rear bumpstops.

It took my Sat and Sun to do the entire lift and WOL alignment by myself. If I had to do it again I would be able to cut the hours down substantially.

The coils were not hard to do as long as you dropped the axles enough (watch the brake lines, I did not have to take mine completely off).

The hardest part was tightening the front adjustable trackbar to the torque spec. Even getting it off was hard. I used my largest crescent wrench as a cheater bar. (You need a large crescent wrench to tighten the adjustment on the teraflex lower control arms).

Setting the length on the lower control arms was kind of a pita. I had the whole jeep back together drove it for a week and decided to readjust the lower control arms.

Be sure to measure everything first before you start. I will really help you in the end when you put it back together. I also used 4 jack stands and a floor jack. It was overkill, but it worked out well for me. The only special tools that I had were an angle meter and a 1/2" torque wrench (if those are special).
Old 05-07-2010, 03:59 PM
JK Jedi

With mine HD coils I almost needed a spring compressor but it worked out. Just be sure to have your JK up high enough on jack stands to allow the axle to drop as much as it can. This will make the coils slip in nicely. You can unbolt your shock at the axle, loosen brake lines and it should drop enough for the coil spring.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed my OME HD springs last weekend on my JKU. This makes the 6th truck I have installed an OME kit under and have never been disappointed in the results. On my JK I did need to watch any and all electrical wires and brake lines when lowering the axle to get the new springs into place so keep an eye on those. Then as TripleJeep said make sure you get the Jeep pretty high up so you can drop the axle low enough. I probably had about 7-8" of clearance under the tires when I set my jack stands under the frame.
Take your time and don't rush it.
Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	New Suspension on Jeep..jpg
Views:	83
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	65734  

Quick Reply: OME lift install this weekend