Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OME Lift - drifting right

Old 01-19-2009, 07:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bub
I understand why the 7.1 degrees caster eliminated the flighty drifting but with that much lift is there no vibration from the pinion to driveshaft angle in the front ? Can you post a pic of the ujoint?
I looked through the hi res photos of my Jeep and don't have a single one showing the driveshaft/u-joint.

I've got a front JE Reel 1310/yokes and I have been very pleased at the current front end settings. It has shown no vibration at speeds up to 85mph.
Sometimes when cruising at 65-70 it seems you can feel a resonance that comes and goes every few seconds, mind that it has to be a very smooth road to feel it and it isn't present in the 6-speed shifter.
I rotated my tires this past weekend and that "resonance" disappeared completely so I doubt it's the shaft.

I can say my rear 1350 JE Reel is as smooth as the factory rear shaft, and that my 1310/yokes JE Reel front is smoother than the factory front, but the guys at Reel said it wasn't unusual to hear about a bad factory JK driveshaft flange.

One thing's for sure, as I added first the trackbars, and second the driveshafts, the movement in my 6-speed shifter has decreased markedly.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess front lower arms are coming soon Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mdkim
Hey all! Recently had an OME lift w/ front and rear JKS adjustable trackbars installed on my 4 door Rubi along w/ new wheels and tires. Jeep looks freaking awesome

Only issue now is that it drifts to the right slightly (more the faster I go). The install mechanic advised me that it was caused by the decrease in castor angle. He told me that I should get control arms. But, when I did a quick search on the forum, I discovered that all the castor angle affects is the flighty jiggleness at highway speeds. Was the mechanic correct or was he just trying to sell me more stuff?

All tire pressure is equal, I'll check brake pads to see if there is any rubbing. Given that, any thoughts or suggestions? Help a brother out. Thanks guys
Have you re-centered your steering wheel after you finished installing the lift and adj track bars? There are instructions on how to do this in the "write up" section of this forum.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply; and yeah I did have it re-centered. Had an alignment done after installing lift and trackbars.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks Edwin. I am considering the OME lift for my unlimited. What is your total lift height? How do you like their shocks?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 214 JK
Thanks Edwin. I am considering the OME lift for my unlimited. What is your total lift height? How do you like their shocks?
My Jeep is about 40.5" from fender lip to pavement.
The shocks are terrific, both on road and off.
I have a full set of Full Traction control arms and trackbars, and after adding them I was doubly impressed with the shocks.
On road it's almost rediculous how well my Jeep handles, if you keep it smooth the cornering is remarkable.
You lose very little confidence over broken pavement, and the suspension seems perfectly dialed in for wet weather.
Offroad with the Toyos aired down to 12lbs it's heaven.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Bub
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by edwin907
My Jeep is about 40.5" from fender lip to pavement.
The shocks are terrific, both on road and off.
I have a full set of Full Traction control arms and trackbars, and after adding them I was doubly impressed with the shocks.
On road it's almost rediculous how well my Jeep handles, if you keep it smooth the cornering is remarkable.
You lose very little confidence over broken pavement, and the suspension seems perfectly dialed in for wet weather.
Offroad with the Toyos aired down to 12lbs it's heaven.

Can you post your caster angle measured on the flat spot under the spindle? Your setup is practically same as mine and I have nearly 4 degrees.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bub
Can you post your caster angle measured on the flat spot under the spindle? Your setup is practically same as mine and I have nearly 4 degrees.
Mine is at 7.1 degrees on each side.
Maybe I'm lucky, but no vibration with the JE Reel 1310/yokes front driveshaft at this high of a setting all the way up to 85mph.
My upper arms are 1/8" shorter than stock and the lower arms are about 3/8 longer.

It drives terrific, a little wander at speed over rough pavement is about the only complaint, more so when you run higher tire pressures. A touch more toe-in might be in order but I haven't messed with it yet. After all, it is a solid front axle Jeep.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

An improperly installed trac bar can also cause a slight drift. If the trac bar isn't torqued with the total weight of the Jeep on the ground, it can cause binding and won't seat properly. Also, just out of curiosity, is your pass side front spring slightly bowed? I know of a couple of folks who had bowed front OME springs and had a slight drift. I did, and after I installed my Currie UCA's both the bow and the drift went away. My thought was that due to the negative caster, the front springs were binding slightly between the upper and lower spring perches. just a thought.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 214 JK
I know you did not ask for my lift height but, I thought this might help you out.

I installed the OME HD front and Standard rear coils along with their Nitro shocks and my before and after lift measurements are as follows:

- Front bumper 18" to 22 1/2" or +4 1/2"
- Behind the front wheel 16" to 18 7/8" or + 2 7/8"
- Behind the rear wheels 17 1/4" to 19 3/8 or + 2 1/8"
- Rear bumper 20 1/2" to 22 1/2" or +2"

These measurements were taken the same day I finished the lift. About a month after the lift was installed I measured again and the front measurements came down about 1/2" to 3/4" due to settling from the winch and steel front bumper.

Love the lift.

Last edited by IMFletch; 01-22-2009 at 04:01 PM.

Quick Reply: OME Lift - drifting right