Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OME Lift - drifting right

Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OME Lift - drifting right

Hey all! Recently had an OME lift w/ front and rear JKS adjustable trackbars installed on my 4 door Rubi along w/ new wheels and tires. Jeep looks freaking awesome

Only issue now is that it drifts to the right slightly (more the faster I go). The install mechanic advised me that it was caused by the decrease in castor angle. He told me that I should get control arms. But, when I did a quick search on the forum, I discovered that all the castor angle affects is the flighty jiggleness at highway speeds. Was the mechanic correct or was he just trying to sell me more stuff?

All tire pressure is equal, I'll check brake pads to see if there is any rubbing. Given that, any thoughts or suggestions? Help a brother out. Thanks guys
Old 01-19-2009, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second that question. I got a slightly left pull after my TF2.5" I put on. Nothing major, just annoying. Gonna take it for an alignment once it gets back to the states.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would suggest an alignment.

Also, make sure the steering wheel is centered properly.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check your tire pressures too, that can make it pull.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:48 AM
JK Newbie

Default OME Lift

Had the alignment done w/ the lift install. All tire pressure is the same

Was told adjusting castor would fix the drift. Is that correct? Didn't think it would matter, that's why I'm confused. Adjustable trackbars were installed front and rear so the axles are centered below the truck.

Like above, it's not the end of the world but I would prefer it if it tracked better.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:11 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a gas charged steering stabilizer, it could cause drift. If you have a stock one thats no good it could cause a drift also. Check and make sure no cam bolts were installed for your alighnment also.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Default OME Lift

No cam bolts installed. Read about the nightmare others had. The SS is stock and being a new truck (less than one month) I can't fathom it being the cause.

Just need to figure out if castor problems can lead to drifting. I do want control arms at some point but feel they can wait (need bumpers and winch ) unless the slacker castor is causing the drift.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When I first installed my OME HD lift with 3/4" spacers front and 10mm rear, it would drift which ever way the road leaned. Pretty much every car does it to a degree but it was excessive with the low caster and uncentered axles. Trackbars improved it a bunch and made the Jeep driveable in traffic.
I never had a problem with pulling to one side or the other under braking after I installed the trackbars, heck it seemed to drift less then (under braking).
When I installed the FT upper arms, giving 5.1 degrees on each side, drift along with the light flighty steering was greatly reduced further but I did still notice it.
After adding the FT lower arms and getting caster to 7.1 degrees on each side I never notice it.
With the increased caster I am able to run higher tire pressures which reduce it, but seemed to increase it with the low caster.
At least on my 2-door, with the low caster, the Jeep was incredibly sensitive to tire pressure changes (35" Toyos), but steers and rides great now at everything from 23 to 29lbs on road.
With the addition of the rear control arms, it's capable of amazing handling for a lifted short wheelbase 4WD, if you are careful not to upset the chassis to much when initiating a turn (smoooooth is the key).
Old 01-19-2009, 06:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where is the before and after pics?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Bub
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by edwin907
When I first installed my OME HD lift with 3/4" spacers front and 10mm rear, it would drift which ever way the road leaned. Pretty much every car does it to a degree but it was excessive with the low caster and uncentered axles. Trackbars improved it a bunch and made the Jeep driveable in traffic.
I never had a problem with pulling to one side or the other under braking after I installed the trackbars, heck it seemed to drift less then (under braking).
When I installed the FT upper arms, giving 5.1 degrees on each side, drift along with the light flighty steering was greatly reduced further but I did still notice it.
After adding the FT lower arms and getting caster to 7.1 degrees on each side I never notice it.
With the increased caster I am able to run higher tire pressures which reduce it, but seemed to increase it with the low caster.
At least on my 2-door, with the low caster, the Jeep was incredibly sensitive to tire pressure changes (35" Toyos), but steers and rides great now at everything from 23 to 29lbs on road.
With the addition of the rear control arms, it's capable of amazing handling for a lifted short wheelbase 4WD, if you are careful not to upset the chassis to much when initiating a turn (smoooooth is the key).
I understand why the 7.1 degrees caster eliminated the flighty drifting but with that much lift is there no vibration from the pinion to driveshaft angle in the front ? Can you post a pic of the ujoint? My lift is 2.5 RC springs under 2 inch spacers and I'm afraid to increase caster as it's about 4 degrees now and I think I noticed slight vibes at 70mph. On this one there's about 6 degrees difference between the two angles.

Quick Reply: OME Lift - drifting right