Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OME install dilemma...

Old 05-16-2008, 09:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OME install dilemma...

This is my dilemma. I am sitting here staring at my OME, the sun is shining, it is the first full night I have had off from work in over two months. Time would normally not be a problem for most, but I also watch my son for 9+ hours a day during the week while my wife is at work; this only allows me 5hrs a day for sleep, and to complete any chores I have around the house. I work 12 hr shifts on the weekend; which is a split shift, and that combined with the honey to do list, does not allow much, if any free time to do the install while my wife is home and is watching our toddler on the weekend anyways.

Like I said, I have the shocks and springs sitting here just waiting to be installed; but I am still waiting for my Currie Adj. Track Bars, and Currie Frt/Rear Adj. Sway Bar Links to be shipped. I am hoping they will arrive sometime next week!

I am aware of the need for longer Sway Links needing to be installed on the front/rear to truly make things right; and the damage that can be incurred without the longer links. But, I have no time or plans to go wheeling before I get the remaining parts anyways. So, there is no chance I will be disconnected, or on anything but urban terrain.

I know it would normally make more sense to do the install all at one time; but time is not on my side at this point, and if I could utilize the few hours off from work today I would like to at least get a head start on this. So, what say you? Should I just wait, or go outside and enjoy wrenching on my JK?
Old 05-16-2008, 09:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Man and I thouoght I had limited time!

I don't see why it would be a problem. I'd be more worried about the rear track bar. I just finished installing the OME and adjustabe track bars. The front was almost still stock length. But the rear needed to be noticeably longer.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:49 AM
JK Freak

I was afraid of that; I just don't want to be driving around very long running dog legged... I am just trying to utilize my spare time as much as possible. I can handle a little off for a short time; but it might not be worth it!
Old 05-16-2008, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

The biggest issue is your track bar, and even that's not a huge deal. As for the sway bar links. just disconnect them and drive without. Having shorter links puts lateral stress on the links because the sway bar won't be horizontal. Unless you're wheeling hard, they'll be fine. With them disconnected, the Jeep will rock more of corse, but its a solid 4-link suspension and unless you drive your Jeep like you stole it, you have nothing to worry about.
In all honesty, I disconnected my sway bar for a trip to Tellico last fall and I have yet to reconnect the links. At this moment they are zip-tied to the bar. I've probably driven 6,000 miles without my swaybar linked. That's shear laziness, but it've gotten completely used to it and its not a big deal to me.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:09 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the advice and opinions. I think I am just going to hold off and wait it until my track bars and links arrive...

Quick Reply: OME install dilemma...