Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which lift should I go with?
OME 2"
62.69%
TF 2.5BB
37.31%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

OME 2" or TF 2.5BB??

Old 11-27-2007, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OME 2" or TF 2.5BB??

I was almost 100% sure going with the TF 2.5BB but after seeing a couple JK's on the 2" OME left I'm having second thoughts. I need some assistance here please. Which kit is over all better for 80% daily driver 20% off-road. I'm pretty much new to all of these lift kits and tring to make the best decision. Any pics would be greatly appreciated!

BTW..I'm planning on going with Goodyear 305/70/R17 MT/R's with Stock Rubi wheels and 1.5" spacers.

Thank you!

Last edited by jakebsellin; 11-27-2007 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am in the same place as you.
I bought the OME as its a full kit.
You will get the best on road ride with
the OME from what I have found.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JYogi
I am in the same place as you.
I bought the OME as its a full kit.
You will get the best on road ride with
the OME from what I have found.
How much does the kit run? Did you install it yourself?
Old 11-27-2007, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

My question with the OME is will you run into driveshaft issues with such a lift on a 2-Door.? I understand that the OME nets you more than 3" of actual lift.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you have the tools you can easily install it yourself.
I dont have the tools or time.
For prices and all look at Northride4X4
As for driveshaft issues, none I have heard of and from
what everyone says OME went 2 in as they felt that
was best what the Jeep could easily handle without lots
of changes so I wouldnt worry about it with the OME
(yes I know most people get more than 2 in out of it
but I bet it will settle with time)
Old 11-27-2007, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wolverine_man
My question with the OME is will you run into driveshaft issues with such a lift on a 2-Door.? I understand that the OME nets you more than 3" of actual lift.

Personally, I had several email back and forth's with factory rep about their lift... they built it for 2" - rounded down from closer to 2 and one half inches. The lift is "netting" so much more in many cases because the coil selection allows you to choose different rates (to compensate for aftermarket bumpers, winches, tire carriers, etc.). According to one of their local "licensed fitters" in the area, if they designed it for 3" or more lift they would have made available additional replacement parts that would need to be installed to keep the correct geometry for ride and performance. Or at least let their licensed fitters know to review other parts similiar to the way they do for 4" suspensions on TJ's.

If you install constant load coils for an additional 660 lbs on the rear and don't add the weight... you will surely have a higher than expected "lift". Sounds like you might want to consider all future modifications before you choose. Spending the money on an OME and then finding it isn't going to be right for you will ouch!! The suspension is wonderful (IMHO); also wonderfully expensive if your goal is "lift". I believe OME products provide better than factory ride, excellent flex, all while not forcing you to change brake lines, etc.. Other than the panhard (track bar) bracket the kit is just springs and shocks.

In my opinion, the kit is ideal for 33 to 34 tires and seems to work even with 35" tires (see multiple posts recently about 35" tires with OME kit). If you want to build something larger... consider going with BB lift now and then upgrading in future. Again, it's a hefty price for an OME if that isn't going to satisfy you for any length of time.

Just an opinion - don't pretend to know anything other than what I like and how I feel. No such thing as truth when it comes to you and your jeep... only other's opinions. Like **sholes and elblows, you know...
Old 11-27-2007, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdrubi
Personally, I had several email back and forth's with factory rep about their lift... they built it for 2" - rounded down from closer to 2 and one half inches. The lift is "netting" so much more in many cases because the coil selection allows you to choose different rates (to compensate for aftermarket bumpers, winches, tire carriers, etc.). According to one of their local "licensed fitters" in the area, if they designed it for 3" or more lift they would have made available additional replacement parts that would need to be installed to keep the correct geometry for ride and performance. Or at least let their licensed fitters know to review other parts similiar to the way they do for 4" suspensions on TJ's.

If you install constant load coils for an additional 660 lbs on the rear and don't add the weight... you will surely have a higher than expected "lift". Sounds like you might want to consider all future modifications before you choose. Spending the money on an OME and then finding it isn't going to be right for you will ouch!! The suspension is wonderful (IMHO); also wonderfully expensive if your goal is "lift". I believe OME products provide better than factory ride, excellent flex, all while not forcing you to change brake lines, etc.. Other than the panhard (track bar) bracket the kit is just springs and shocks.

In my opinion, the kit is ideal for 33 to 34 tires and seems to work even with 35" tires (see multiple posts recently about 35" tires with OME kit). If you want to build something larger... consider going with BB lift now and then upgrading in future. Again, it's a hefty price for an OME if that isn't going to satisfy you for any length of time.

Just an opinion - don't pretend to know anything other than what I like and how I feel. No such thing as truth when it comes to you and your jeep... only other's opinions. Like **sholes and elblows, you know...

I do plan on putting 33"s on my 2 DR Rubicon with AEV Pintler wheels. From the current images posted I am questioning if it will be too much. Do you have any insight and where does the above knowledge come from.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

My opinion comes from the following (I mentioned several times this is only my opinion) from 5 years of reading about lifts on Jeeps (previous owner of any 04 LJ), living not to far away from one of the few licensed fitters for OME and seeing their "work" all over town, owning 4 four wheel drive vehicles, and occasionally getting bored enough to spend too much time BS'ing with others who 'wheel along with reading too much!!

All the information is out there... hard to filter through so much. If you are on the search for a lift kit... this is an excellent place to start. I have no experience or insight into BB kits as I have never owned one. Knowing what they do and what they are however, does allow me to form an opinion. BB kits give you frame lift and allow larger tires - giving you lift under your diff's. However, they won't enhance the flex much. That being said, the stock suspension (Rubi or other model) is still phenomenal.

A quick search of the postings on the site here show countless examples of 33" tires on stock (with no rubbing issues) and either a 2" BB or a new suspension should give you even more flex and space than you will need (IMHO).

Your in Woodstock I see... there seem to be quite a few Members within a couple of hours drive of you... See what others are riding on and see if they will take you out while you are in their rigs. I imagine "trying before you buy" will keep you from Buyer's Remorse.

Best of luck.

Last edited by rdrubi; 11-27-2007 at 09:11 AM. Reason: had used "body lift" incorrectly...switched to "frame lift"
Old 11-27-2007, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

I understand 37"s will fit with a 2" lift and tube or flat fenders. Any comments or thoughts?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

It seems odd that an off the shelf 3" SL that would flex enough to require brake line mods, etc...wouldn't require that for ANY similar amount of wheel travel....

...Its not like the brake lines KNOW what SL you have, merely the total droop.

Same with other parts...if the amount of lift increases the drive train angles, the shafts don't know what SL is doing it, etc.

I keep seeing references to what each lift "requires"...and, based upon jeeping since the '70's, plus other offroading, etc...I am firmly convimced that the other jeep parts are oblivious to what brand you run...only the effects.

If a SL doesn't droop as much, then, the compensatory mods can be skipped, etc....

...So, if a brand says their lift doesn't require longer brake lines, or a trackbar, etc...then it because their lift doesn't stretch them as far.

I also know that the spacer lifts are pretty reliable as to amount of lift, as they ARE just spacers...so a 2.5" Spacer gives that much lift...and, the ride should be about the same, as its still the OEM coils.

I also know that raising the jeep raises the center of gravity...which requires a bit more roll control, meaning, a bit more spring rate, and shock damping...meaning the OEM coils might end up a bit soft for the application...and, the OEM Shocks will also be under valved for the application.

Which means that the new coil and shock package, if it compensates for these changes in COG, etc...will have an overall better chance of hitting the correct combination.

I'm not a big fan of twin tube shocks though, I prefer monotube's like Bilsteins....on whoop de doops/ mogul runs in the Pine Barrens, etc...the twin tube shocks fade away...and the Bils just work flawlessly.

In the rocks, the digressive valving of the bils works perfectly...as slow speed valving is set for rock crawling, etc.

I had a set of twin tube DT 's on my TJ...in the rocks, it sounded like they were panting on every stroke.

So, I'm waiting for the lifts to come out, review the specs, etc...before pulling the trigger....which is good, as the JK has been on order since last September....

Rubicon Express has a spacer lift with monotube shocks (Made by Bilstein IIRC) for example....I don't know the compressed/extended lengths for them though, or the same specs on the OME shocks, or, actually, even the OEM shocks.

Anyone here have any of these shock lengths, and or other shock lengths they're using for the available lift kits?

Quick Reply: OME 2" or TF 2.5BB??