Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OME 2" lift with Full Traction adjustable trac bars....3 weeks after, getting a nasty

Old 04-06-2008, 10:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See WOL Track Bar write up explaining how to lube the joint before installing.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

Old 04-07-2008, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This discussion again...LOL...just in time too.

My FT trackbar(this time the rear) has just starting making those crazy noises again(pop, clicking, clunking, grinding). It has to be temperature related. I didn't have any noises all winter long. Last week I put axle grease(not white lithium) all over the sides of the bushing and then reinstalled the trackbar at the frame side. No noise for two days(it was cold outside). Then as soon as it warmed up again the noises came back.

I had a mechanic friend of mine look at it and we came to the conclusion that it sounds like the trackbar is pivoting around the outside of the bushing instead of the inner metal sleeve pivoting around the bolt. We think the pop and click is the outside of the bushing rotating against the inside of the round trackbar end.

So what do you guys think? Does the inner sleeve need to be slightly longer? Is the mounting on the frame squeezed to tight against the bushing and sleeve assembly only allowing the trackbar to rotate around the outside of the bushing causing that "release of friction" noise?

I'm just throwing some more ideas out there because tightening the crap out of it doesn't seem to be working for me although I don't think I have tightened yet to 175ft/lbs yet.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racerx
This discussion again...LOL...just in time too.

My FT trackbar(this time the rear) has just starting making those crazy noises again(pop, clicking, clunking, grinding). It has to be temperature related. I didn't have any noises all winter long. Last week I put axle grease(not white lithium) all over the sides of the bushing and then reinstalled the trackbar at the frame side. No noise for two days(it was cold outside). Then as soon as it warmed up again the noises came back.

I had a mechanic friend of mine look at it and we came to the conclusion that it sounds like the trackbar is pivoting around the outside of the bushing instead of the inner metal sleeve pivoting around the bolt. We think the pop and click is the outside of the bushing rotating against the inside of the round trackbar end.

So what do you guys think? Does the inner sleeve need to be slightly longer? Is the mounting on the frame squeezed to tight against the bushing and sleeve assembly only allowing the trackbar to rotate around the outside of the bushing causing that "release of friction" noise?

I'm just throwing some more ideas out there because tightening the crap out of it doesn't seem to be working for me although I don't think I have tightened yet to 175ft/lbs yet.

Have you tried greasing the inner sleeve! Maybe press it out and gets some lithium grease inside.

My front one was done when I installed it a year ago and hasn't been done since!
Old 04-07-2008, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I put lots of axle grease on the sides of the bushing so when I installed the bolt it pushed a lot of grease through the sleeve and out the other side. If the bolt slides in so easily it just doesn't seem like the noise could be coming from any friction of the bolt inside the sleeve. I'm willing to drop the trackbar again regrease the inner sleeve properly if it will fix the problem.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We have had the FT trackbars on our jeep for about 30 days and they dont make any noise at all . We greased them very well and they are torqued properly.

I have to be honest and say if yours are making noise then you need to grease them or tighten them down.

David
Old 04-07-2008, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just reread Rubimon's post and realized he's talking about greasing the outside of the metal inner sleeve. I am going to pull everything apart and grease everyside of all parts with WLG. I'm no mechanic but it just doesn't seem like there should be any movement between the outside of the inner metal sleeve and the inside of the bushing and also no movement between the outside of the bushing and trackbar itself. Shouldn't all the pivoting be the inner metal sleeve around the bolt?
Old 04-07-2008, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Grease EVERYTHING. The inner sleeve, the bushings, even coat the frame where it meets the bushing, tighten it until it no longer makes noise. Simple.

Last edited by nukeman; 04-07-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Shop isolated mine just to the front track bar, and pulled it off, re-greased the heck out of everything, and torqued it back down....noise is almost completely gone (I say almost completely because I think I have heard a very slight version of it when hitting some pretty decent potholes as speed), but certainly nothing like it was.

So now at least I know what it is for certain should it occur again, and will tear it down myself the next time if need be....although I will start with simply torquing tighter as they still only torqued to 125 pounds per the sheet I got back from them.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, when I got home yesterday I pulled my rear trackbar off and removed the inner sleeve and two bushing halves. I greased every surface and put it all back together. I drove around the block and now everything is quiet again. Thanks guys. Sorry Area-51, didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:55 AM
JK Jedi Master

incase it was'nt covered yet

greese the shit out of them with white lithium. Its been on since last year, and mine are still quit, Every oil change I check the bolts on the suspension. Just for good measure.
It's either too loose or doesnt have any lubrication.

Last edited by Piginajeep; 04-08-2008 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply: OME 2" lift with Full Traction adjustable trac bars....3 weeks after, getting a nasty