Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OME 2" lift with Full Traction adjustable trac bars....3 weeks after, getting a nasty

Old 04-05-2008, 08:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OME 2" lift with Full Traction adjustable trac bars....3 weeks after, getting a nasty

metallic sound (not sure it is indeed metal on metal, but it sounds like it) when going over bumps, or even accelerating from a stop at some points....the sound when going over bumps are much louder, but can still have it happen on acceleration from a stop as well.

Have done the cursory inspection, and not seeing anything busted, or loose, and can see no indication that anything is actually making contact on something else.

Ideas on what to look for? Have an appointment with the shop that installed it on Monday...
Old 04-05-2008, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

My guess would be it's your Full Traction tracbars making their famous noise. Mine did it too. I would check the torque on the frame ends of both the front and back. The Vectron bushings and interal metal bushing sleeves like to make noise, sounds like a metal/metal, popping, grinding noise. You may have to increase the torque beyond what FT recommends, I did and mine haven't made a noise since.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:03 PM
JK Freak

I would defiantly take it back to the shop that installed

but it sounds like it could be a wrongly seated coil or busted shock?
Old 04-05-2008, 11:33 PM
JK Super Freak

I am betting it is the track bars as well. It is a well documented noise (Don't know if I would call it a problem) with the Full Traction track bars. Torque them a bit higher and the noise will probably go away and stay away.

EDIT: It couldn't hurt to put a generous amount of grease on the bushings as well.

Last edited by Ctimrun; 04-06-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ctimrun
I am betting it is the track bars as well. It is a well documented noise (Don't know if I would call it a problem) with the Full Traction track bars. Torque them a bit higher and the noise will probably go away and stay away.
X3 125lbs means crank the sh*t out of them!
Old 04-06-2008, 08:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rubimon
X3 125lbs means crank the sh*t out of them!
I actually had to pry my axle mount apart to get the FT trackbar in. So 125 worked for me. It seems like everybody's mount is different. I know one guy on here had to crank it to 175 to get the mount to sqeeze the bushing.

I also greased the shit outa it and put a zerk on it. So far not problems.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:53 PM
JK Freak

Are there other adjustable track bars that you would suggest other than FTs? I am also considering the OME lift with FT adj. track bars.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Full Traction bars, so they are the only ones I can recommend!
Old 04-06-2008, 07:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the thoughts on it.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bly109
I actually had to pry my axle mount apart to get the FT trackbar in. So 125 worked for me. It seems like everybody's mount is different. I know one guy on here had to crank it to 175 to get the mount to sqeeze the bushing.

I also greased the shit outa it and put a zerk on it. So far not problems.
That would be me. I tried increasing the torque in 10lb. increments. Finally, got to 175 ft. lbs and, with a ton of lithium grease, have had no noises for 3 months. I wouldn't recommend just torquing them to 175, I would increase the torque until you find the sweet spot, just use a lot of lube, um, grease, and she should quiet down.

Quick Reply: OME 2" lift with Full Traction adjustable trac bars....3 weeks after, getting a nasty