Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OME 2" Heavy Kit reviews please!

Old 03-10-2013, 05:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OME 2" Heavy Kit reviews please!

Hello all,

I've been searching through many different suspension lifts, does anyone have any info/review of the OME lifts. What's the difference between the light and heavy kits? Thanks
Old 03-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

I have the heavy. Ps brawler front and rear, winch and or-fab tire carrier. It rides nice but seems a little tall for my wants. Sorry it's not much help. I guess I felt like giving my 2c
Old 03-10-2013, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got the heavy OME. Its a great suspension, but I'm wondering how much weight it wants before relaxing... I've got trail bumpers front and back with carrier, winch, lightbar... On a 2dr. Only now does it feel a little softer. So unless you're adding tons of steel like I did, stick to the light version.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

^ what he said to the letter
Old 03-10-2013, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

The heavy is designed to hold 100 - 200 more pounds. My uncle has it and loves it. On a stock 2d it will sit 4" tall. After he put a after market front and rear bumpers, tire carrier, and wench it ended up being a lift of 2 3/4".
Old 03-10-2013, 06:53 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The weight rating of the coils.

It's been a few years since I looked at them, but there are/were like 16 different OME coil numbers for the JK. (it gets confusing. The heavy front coil for 2doors is used as the medium rear coil for 4doors, but it's also the light front coil on a european diesel JK. That kind of stuff) So if possible, don't go by heavy or light, see if you can find the specific coil numbers.

And then, decide how much lift you actually want - taking into account the model and extra weight bolted on. Plan on 3-3.5" and a stiff ride with those 'Heavy' 2" coils.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:14 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmcclellan
Hello all,

I've been searching through many different suspension lifts, does anyone have any info/review of the OME lifts. What's the difference between the light and heavy kits? Thanks
I have the lite springs on a 2-door, with the OME shocks. Compare to stock it was a hair less than 3". After winch, bumpers, and some armor, it's a little over 2". There are some 10mm (0.39") spacers that can be used to fine tune the lift if desired. The shocks have about 1" more down travel, and ride well on washboard and ruts.

The OME 2" lift sets in between a spacer lift, and larger lifts that often need driveshafts, control arms, etc. With 1" of extra down travel and about 2.x" lift, the suspension sets roughly in the middle of it's travel using the stock bump-stops. I like slightly wider 32" tires (LT275-70R17) on stock wheels, so the stock bump stops work for me. It's a good lift for the person that wants a lift with a little more articulation and few (if any) other changes necessary.

A couple of notes: The rear brake lines on mine were tight at full extension with the extra travel of the OME shocks. Some slight bending of the steel tubing at either end of the flex hoses easily fixed the issue. With the Rubicon disco sway bar, the links should be a bit longer (the extra 1" of travel may not be able to over-center the links, but handling will be improved). A set of rear sway bar links will work up front, as will some after market ones. OME kits don't include instructions, so I downloaded the Mopar lift instructions for reference. There's also a write up here to: Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Old Man Emu Jeep JK Wrangler 2″ Lift Installation Write-Up

Suggest calling Northridge for some advice on the lite versus heavy spring selection with your particular weight.

Last edited by Mr.T; 03-10-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mr. T lays down the law!
Old 06-16-2013, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Say I have a 100lb front bumper. Eventually going to get a winch but will not touch the rear meaning I will keep the stock rear bumper.

Would the OME HD kit be very rough or will I survive? This is a 4 door JK!
Old 06-16-2013, 03:51 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yes, it will be rough. And yes, you will survive.

I was talked into Heavy front coils and Medium rear coils. (front bumper/winch, stock rear bumper). With the extra weight up front, it started fairly level. The heavy front coils settled very little, the medium rears settled a lot, and I ended with about a 1/2" rear rake. (depending on which top is on and how much gear is thrown in back). If I had it to do over again, I would go with Medium coils front and rear.

Quick Reply: OME 2" Heavy Kit reviews please!