Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OME 2.5" lift??

Old 08-08-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OME 2.5" lift??

I have a 2008 X with electronic sway bar disconnect and factory rear lockers. Will an OME 2.5" or any lift affect the electronic sway bar disconnect? Also should I get a slip yoke eliminator (I know many say no)? This is my daily driver and am willing to spend the extra money if needed. If only want to run 32" tires what lift would you recommend?
Old 08-08-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Freak

You don't NEED any lift to run 32" tires. That being said, the OME 2" lift will work fine and give you more clearance if you want to run 35" tires in the future. You may want to add longer shocks, adjustable track bars, etc if you decide to go this route.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbyronf
I have a 2008 X with electronic sway bar disconnect and factory rear lockers. Will an OME 2.5" or any lift affect the electronic sway bar disconnect? Also should I get a slip yoke eliminator (I know many say no)? This is my daily driver and am willing to spend the extra money if needed. If only want to run 32" tires what lift would you recommend?
I'm sure others with WAY more knowledge than I will chime in, but I'm thinking the e-disco will be fine, as long as you get some longer sway bar links.

As for 32's, that's pretty much the stock tires, unless you got the very basest of wheels offered. I have the 17'' Rubi wheels with the BFG M/T's. I occasionally hear a rub when on the trails, but never during streeat driving. A lot of folks are running 2.5" lifts with the stocks, and it looks pretty alright. Any bigger than that, and your wheels will look too small.

-Mike
Old 08-08-2009, 07:08 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

As the others have already said, 32's come standard on JK's and you do not need a lift to run them. (though if you go wider than stock, you'll want wheel spacers or new rims with the correct backspace)

If you do go with a lift, consider getting some longer rear links, and then just swap the stock rears up front. That will put the front swaybar near the correct angle, and the e-disconnect is not affected.

Also, which OME coils are you considering, and do you have a 2 or 4 door? If you are considering the HD springs, be aware that you are going up somewhere in the 3.25" - 4" range. (definitely not a 2 - 2.5" lift) If that's the case, you'll also want to look into adj trackbars or brackets, a set of front adj control arms, brake line extensions, and bumpstops.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
As the others have already said, 32's come standard on JK's and you do not need a lift to run them. (though if you go wider than stock, you'll want wheel spacers or new rims with the correct backspace)

If you do go with a lift, consider getting some longer rear links, and then just swap the stock rears up front. That will put the front swaybar near the correct angle, and the e-disconnect is not affected.

Also, which OME coils are you considering, and do you have a 2 or 4 door? If you are considering the HD springs, be aware that you are going up somewhere in the 3.25" - 4" range. (definitely not a 2 - 2.5" lift) If that's the case, you'll also want to look into adj trackbars or brackets, a set of front adj control arms, brake line extensions, and bumpstops.
x2 on this (except I'd vote adj trackbars over brackets).

Do a search on OME. Lots of good info on here. Also give David @ Northridge (see my sig) a shout. He'll help you set up your rig. He doesn't oversell and his prices are super solid.

I love the OME lift btw... If you're willing to spend the $ you can totally dial it in. You may also check out adj control arms as an added way to lighten your wallet & further improve its ride.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m(a)ce
If you're willing to spend the $ you can totally dial it in. You may also check out adj control arms as an added way to lighten your wallet & further improve its ride.
I've got the OME HD kit, and it was amazingly good with just the springs, shocks, and trackbars on a stock 2 door Rubicon with very heavy bumpers, wheels/tires, and a winch. I added a set of the FT upper control arms for caster, and honestly could have easily left the Jeep like that. It drove excellently, no wandering, bump steer, and you had great confidence in heavy traffic at speed.

After deciding to go a bit further, with a bullet proof drivetrain (in progress) in mind, I proceeded to lighten my wallet somewhat, David (Northridge) knows how much. I've added a full set of control arms, extended brake lines, bump stops, tie rod, drag link, driveshafts, and steering stabilizer. The only thing different I'd do is the LT shocks (not avail when I built) and rear coil spring retainers with some of the tapered seat inserts.

Many of us are pleased with the 35" tire size, perfect for a multiple purpose Jeep, and after being honest with ourselves don't need/want more than a 2.5-3.5" lift. Plus, my garage can't tolerate any more suspension lift (the Hi-Lift on the FabFour carrier wouldn't clear), I could get away with a one inch body lift, but that is it.

For some, (some 6-speed owners) 35s allow you to keep your 3.73/4.10 gears as well (depending on terrain, off road needs, max needed cruise speeds). The OME HD kit is an excellent basis for a suspension build using any of the available arms, bars, and so forth.
On road it is an amazingly good driving setup when dialed in. Just today, 85mph smooth as silk on the interstate, then cutting through city traffic with precision worthy of a Ducati sport bike. Cornering, while requiring smooth entry, is way beyond reasonable expectations, and body lean is minimal for a heavy lifted vehicle.

My particular setup with the original yellow OME shocks may suffer from a lack of articulation compared to the LT OME shocks or some of the competitor's models, but I've never felt a lack of damping or heat fade, and they are an excellent compromise for on and off road use. It'll probably be forever bedore I wear them down enough to justify a set of the LT shocks, so I'll probably sell them or keep them as a backup set. Hopefully the LT model will be available in yellow, as they have really grown on me.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

edwins jeep is among my favorite two doors. the little touches like those hutchison beadlocks and those bumpers set it apart and make it a sessy bitch.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-31-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Super Freak

edwins jeep = sex on wheels. nuff said.

Quick Reply: OME 2.5" lift??