Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Old Man Emu vs Mopar 2'' lift kit

Old 12-03-2010, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Man Emu vs Mopar 2'' lift kit

I am considering a 2'' lift kit for my 08 JK Rubicon 4dr and have been recommended the Old Man Emu kit but as I look around at other options I see the Mopar kit (at about double the price) with a bunch of additional parts. The Old Man Emu kit is relatively simple whereas the Mopar kit includes a new front track bar, a rear track bar bracket, sway bar links, etc. It also suggests front sway bar links. What I'm trying to figure out is if all this additional Mopar hardware is necessary, what are the benefits to having all this and what are the draw backs by not having them???
Old 12-03-2010, 11:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kawasakirider47
Well with Mopar lift it will deffintley be under warranty no matter where you go, and the Mopar lifts are just rebranded Superlifts
No it won't. Don't pass off this stuff as truth. MOPAR performance parts void your warranty just as fast as aftermarket. They are also rebranded rubicon express.
Any lift gives the dealer the right to put a mark on your warranty (they can't void it, just mark it as a modified vehicle) and if they can somehow link part failure to your lift they will deny the warranty claim.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I believe OME makes 5 different coils for the JK. All are listed as 2", but there is a very significant height difference between them. Make sure which specific coils you are getting.

Mopar lifts are seriously over-priced. Start with the ome kit and add whichever components you want. (which components you 'want' will be dictated by by which coils you choose and the actual lift height you end up at)

So, do you actually know what the different components do? Why you may or may not want any or all of them? Any drawbacks to the cheap brackets vs the more expensive adjustables? Guessing not...

When you lift:
-The axles will be pushed off to one side (one tire will stick out past the fender, the other will be tucked back in the wheel well). This is corrected by adding a cheap trackbar bracket or a more expensive new adjustable trackbar. The cheap brackets will add a lot of stress, which will end up breaking welds and causing preventable damage. Get a 'good' bracket or an adjustable.

-The caster will get lower, causing flighty handling. Your options to adjust the caster are:
Cam Bolts - cheap, small range of adjustability, may slip when offroad, need to be welded if you decide to go to new control arms.
Lowering Bracket - next cheapest, completely unadjustable, lowers clearance, causes extra stress like any other bracket.
New 'fixed' control arms - completely unadjustable, beefier than stock.
New adjustable control arms - most expensive, but arguably the best option.

The swaybars will be pointing downward. You will want longer links to raise them back up to being level with the frame/ground. New rear links, and then move the longer stock rear s to the front will work on smaller lifts. (With short links, the swaybar has been known to flip around backwards when flexed. This is kinda bad, but it gives the rest of us some good pics to look at...)

The brake lines may be stretched. This depends on the actual height you end up at. If they are tight, get some extenstions, run to the hardware store and make some, or get longer lines.

The bigger tires may contact the fenders. Longer bumpstops may be needed. Up front, they go 'inside' the coils, so you will want to add them with the lift. The rears are quick and easy to install and can be done at any time.

Driveshaft angles get steeper the higher you go. 2doors have shorter shafts, so see issues sooner/lower than 4doors. Auto's have issues with the front shaft contacting the crossmember skid and the corner of the tranny pan. Again, it depends on lift height and model, but definitely something to keep in mind. Stock driveshafts can not be repaired, so a new $450 aftermaket shaft is the fix. (or keep buying and replacing the $1000 stock shafts)
Old 12-03-2010, 12:56 PM
JK Jedi

First off, I work at my fathers car dealership which HE OWNS.We frequently put Mopar lifts on just for the fact that it wont void the warranty. Our specific dealership will warranty any lift we put on no matter the brand, with the Mopar lift anyone who buys it can get still get warranty because its a MOPAR lift. I think I know a little more.

I definitely agree that Mopar lifts are wayyyy over priced
No offense intended, but you are wrong. If an aftermarket Mopar performance part causes damage to an OEM part, Chrysler will not warranty the OEM part.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mskh20
No offense intended, but you are wrong. If an aftermarket Mopar performance part causes damage to an OEM part, Chrysler will not warranty the OEM part.
Not only that, but the Mopar suspension parts carry no parts warranty. If anything Mopar fails (shocks, etc.) it's money out of your pocket to replace those parts.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:03 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

First off, I work at my fathers car dealership which HE OWNS.We frequently put Mopar lifts on just for the fact that it wont void the warranty. Our specific dealership will warranty any lift we put on no matter the brand, with the Mopar lift anyone who buys it can get still get warranty because its a MOPAR lift. I think I know a little more.

Not to call you out, but perhaps you and/or your father could clear this up for us?

From the Warranty area at the Mopar eStore:
IV. PARTS SOLD “AS-IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY
a. MOPAR Gaskets and Seals are sold “AS IS” without warranty of any kind.
b. MOPAR Performance Parts (all parts shown by a MOPAR part number beginning with the letter “P”) are sold “AS IS” without warranty of any kind.
For every part sold “AS IS”, the purchaser assumes the entire risk of loss , damage or breakage. Should the goods prove defective following their purchase, the purchaser and not the manufacturer, distributor, or retailer assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repair.
Those lift kits have the 'P' prefix, so from the warranty info that 'they' release, those kits are not covered...

If that warranty information is incorrect, or has been superseded, please let us know!!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:16 PM
JK Jedi

Here is a quote from Mopar Performance:

"The addition of performance parts does not by itself void a vehicle's warranty. However, added performance parts (parts not originally supplied on the vehicle from the factory) are not covered by the vehicle's warranty, and any failure that they may cause is also not covered by the vehicle's warranty."

So, just like any part that was not put on by the manufacturer (pay attention to the fact I said manufacturer and not dealer), if a Mopar Performance part damages an OEM part Chrysler can, and probably will, deny a warranty claim. Basically, it's no different than any other Mag-Moss analysis for any aftermarket part.

Last edited by Sharkey; 12-03-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

When I baught my Jeep a couple of months ago I asked the dealer if I lifted my jeep would it void the warranty. He said as long as I bought the Mopar lift and they installed it I would not void the warranty. I wonder if it's dealer specific on whether or not they will cover warranty issues or if I would have to get better clarification from them on what would be covered and what wouldn't be.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I , aswell as others would like to see the written proof of said warranty. Just saying your dad's dealership will warranty it doesn't make it so in writing as it would with any dealership. If they will warranty,what are the specifics of this warranty. I've asked many times on this forum of written proof of said warranty and yet to this day no one has been able to show one. I suspect this will be no different.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:33 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

And that is the issue. NOTHING in writing. What happens when I get it installed by you, drive to another city or state, and have it break? 'That' dealer tells me it is aftermarket, and to go pound sand...

Or what if I got it installed here, and it broke when I was travelling through your neck of the woods. 'Your' shop didn't install it, there is no factory warranty on it, so what happens? It's a mopar kit, so your pops is out the money for repairing/replacing? Or he says it is aftermarket and declines?

Last edited by nthinuf; 12-03-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Old Man Emu vs Mopar 2'' lift kit