Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Old man emu slow build?

Old 02-03-2012 | 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

Default Old man emu slow build?

I am contemplating buying an old man emu hd +40 lift for my 2007 jk Sahara unlimited. I need to buy it increments - ie install springs and shocks then adding control arms etc later.

Anyone anticipate major problems with this? Any advice would be appreciated
Old 02-03-2012 | 08:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Wakeboarder2MD
I am contemplating buying an old man emu hd +40 lift for my 2007 jk Sahara unlimited. I need to buy it increments - ie install springs and shocks then adding control arms etc later.

Anyone anticipate major problems with this? Any advice would be appreciated
I don't know personally since I don't run this lift, but I've heard of rigs netting over 3" on this setup, therefore in the meantime after installation and in between time when you can install your adjustable trackbars and control arms you will probably be fighting it on the street (wandering). IMO FWIW I would buy what you can afford, keep it somewhere safe, until you can afford the rest and install it all the same time...that's just my 2 pennies worth. Happy Jeepin'!
Old 02-03-2012 | 11:06 AM
JK Super Freak

I did exactly that and had no problems. I would do the lift, then adj front and rear track bars, then the arms last. You will likely net more than 3-3.5" lift with the HD coils.
Old 02-03-2012 | 11:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

A quote from northridge
Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
We will have the +40 coils next week. These will give you approx 3.5"- 4" of lift and still give you the ride that you would expect from OME coils.
If you can deal with the low caster, no problem adding arms later. Axle centering, as long as you don't have issues, add later. Short links, don't flex or put it on a lift. Short brake lines, same thing. Or at least disconnect the lines from the frame. Driveshafts, check clearances and watch the joints for grease spitting out.

Drive it and decide what you feel needs to be addressed.
Old 02-03-2012 | 01:00 PM
JK Freak

I've installed 4 of the Northridge OME LT HD lifts in the past year. I highly recommend saving your money and purchase everything at once. Do it right the first time. If nothing else get your track bars or at least a front one and a rear track bar bracket to start. You may experience bump steer or wobble untill you get at least lower front control arms. Plus it will probably save you money by buying it as a kit. As far as the +40 springs you may also want to look at the EVO plush ride springs. From what I've heard they will yield about the same amount of lift but provide a better ride.

Quick Reply: Old man emu slow build?