Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Old Man Emu 4inch?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No my lift had the adj. control arms.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:36 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok. I get it now. They work like cambolts kinda as they use a notch cut in the bracket to allow adjustment of the control arms. Instead of using a cam washer with an offset lobe to adjust the distance this locks into place and uses a set location for the control arm bolt hole.

That is a 100% better solution over cam bolts. Not as good as adjustable arms, as adj arms have tons of adjustment and usually improved joints. These control arm bolt relocation brackets look like a very good solution for someone on a budget trying to correct caster issues after lifting. I like adjustable arms myself, but I would feel safe using those. Not like you are going to hit a bump and it rotate like a cambolt could in turn messing with your geometry.

Thanks for posting the photos and clearing it up. neat design, Those could also maybe be used on control arm brackets that have been notched for cam bolts and replacing adj. arms for the cam bolts since they lock in one position.

Who is making those? Old man emu?
Old 06-12-2012, 02:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
Yup, thats the new 4inch lift they have out. I have the link to it in the first post.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
ok. I get it now. They work like cambolts kinda as they use a notch cut in the bracket to allow adjustment of the control arms. Instead of using a cam washer with an offset lobe to adjust the distance this locks into place and uses a set location for the control arm bolt hole.

That is a 100% better solution over cam bolts. Not as good as adjustable arms, as adj arms have tons of adjustment and usually improved joints. These control arm bolt relocation brackets look like a very good solution for someone on a budget trying to correct caster issues after lifting. I like adjustable arms myself, but I would feel safe using those. Not like you are going to hit a bump and it rotate like a cambolt could in turn messing with your geometry.

Thanks for posting the photos and clearing it up. neat design, Those could also maybe be used on control arm brackets that have been notched for cam bolts and replacing adj. arms for the cam bolts since they lock in one position.

Yeah the little brackets sit in these notches on the mount that are already there. Once you place them in the hole it's a tight fit. And it's solid.

I'm wondering down the line if I do decide to get arms if just using those with them that it would matter. I guess I have no choice in the matter since I already cut them.

This is a very nice lift. The ride is very nice. I couldn't be happier.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ksuferrara
Yup, thats the new 4inch lift they have out. I have the link to it in the first post.
I knew it was a old man emu lift, I just didn't know if they made all the components or if it was a part that had been outsourced. OME makes great stuff that is tough as the outback it is designed for. I normally wouldn't use cambolts on anything, but these are not cambolts and I would feel completely safe knowing these were under a ride. Only downside is that they can only adjust the arm so much, but that isn't a big deal. I think they are a great idea myself.

chaz, I dont think you will regret putting them in. If you really hated them being there you could always weld the brackets slots up but I think if you needed more adjustment you could just use an adjustable arm in that new hole and be solid. I don't think it would move or fail any faster than a factory bracket would. Not like OME is known for cutting corners or building crap.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Just wondering, was any driveline work needed with the OME 4" kit?
Old 06-16-2012, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Motiv
Just wondering, was any driveline work needed with the OME 4" kit?
Not for my 4 door.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

That's good to hear. With a family, price does matter. And I'm not looking to spend an extra 1k on new driveshafts or to have mine cut and stretched. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

I just installed this lift in my 2011 4door rubi and I can't say enough about it. It rides as good or better than stock. I had a 2010 with a 4 in rcd and the old man emu is head and shoulders above that one.. I've also ran a procomp on a Tj I had, I'm telling you the old man emu is really really nice
Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 PM
JK Junkie

This kit looks very promising and is on top of my wish list when I eventually pull the trigger to lift my JK. I am still debating whether to go w/OME, TF or RK. If I do choose this lift I will be installing TF front adj LCAs (have them still in the box). Does anyone have the installation instructions for this kit? if so can you post it or PM it to me. Thanks...

I tried searching for the instruction online but couldnt find any...

Quick Reply: Old Man Emu 4inch?