Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Old Man Emu 4inch?

Old 05-31-2012, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Man Emu 4inch?

I've been looking at this lift, the only thing that concerns me is the off set washer they came up with to help adjust castor. Can someone explain to me how it works? I'm having a hard time picturing the concept. Is it a good idea? Bad idea? If I do this lift should I buy some lower adjustable control arms?

Also, other then lower control arms included in the long travel and the steering stabilizer included in the 4inch lift, i'm not seeing much of a difference in the 4inch kit and the long travel kit. How much height does the long travel kit gain? It doesn't say.

Thanks!

http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/ol...ystem-2-4-door

Old Man Emu JK Long Travel Lift Kit
Old 05-31-2012, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

Anyone? has anyone ran this lift?
Old 05-31-2012, 03:15 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They are like cam bolts but not. You use these without drilling out anything on your factory control arms. I followed the ARB guys to Moab this year and they drove it with 37" tires at 75mph the whole way. I will be installing one very soon and will let you know what I think

David
Old 05-31-2012, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks! I look forward to hearing how it is.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
They are like cam bolts but not. You use these without drilling out anything on your factory control arms. David
That's good to know. Wanted to avoid breaking off the tabs to run cam bolts. By chance do you know where I can get a hold of the installation instructions for this kit. Currently shopping around for a lift. Been contemplating between TF & RK, but have always heard good things about OME. Thanks...
Old 06-09-2012, 05:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are like cam bolts but not. You use these without drilling out anything on your factory control arms. I followed the ARB guys to Moab this year and they drove it with 37" tires at 75mph the whole way. I will be installing one very soon and will let you know what I think

David
I am curious to see how these work. Any update?
Old 06-09-2012, 07:00 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ksuferrara
I've been looking at this lift, the only thing that concerns me is the off set washer they came up with to help adjust castor. Can someone explain to me how it works? I'm having a hard time picturing the concept. Is it a good idea? Bad idea? If I do this lift should I buy some lower adjustable control arms?

Also, other then lower control arms included in the long travel and the steering stabilizer included in the 4inch lift, i'm not seeing much of a difference in the 4inch kit and the long travel kit. How much height does the long travel kit gain? It doesn't say.

Thanks!

Old Man Emu Jeep JK 4 inch Lift Complete Suspension System, 2/4 Door

Old Man Emu JK Long Travel Lift Kit
i've run their 4" coils and while OME is known for making coils that ride really nice, these felt really firm and enough so that i eventually went back to their 3" coils and ran them wiht 1" coil spacers. as far as their "off set washers" go, they sure sounds like cam bolts to me. at least, that's how cam bolts work - they require you to knock out the control arm mounting tabs making the square holes into slots and then use "washers" to "off-set" your axle. if it were me, i would just install a set of adjustable front lower control arms and be done with it.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:28 AM
JK Newbie

With the way those washers work, would it be possible to run it with the washers and if i decide its not working for me install adjustable LCA's?
Old 06-10-2012, 04:17 AM
JK Junkie

They are like cam bolts but not. You use these without drilling out anything on your factory control arms

David
Originally Posted by ksuferrara
With the way those washers work, would it be possible to run it with the washers and if i decide its not working for me install adjustable LCA's?
Based on Dave's explanation, it seems the new design of the offset washers/cams doesn't require the need to knock off the tabs of the control arm mounts. So you could later on decide to change it out and install the adjustable CAs...
Old 06-10-2012, 03:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aldaman
Based on Dave's explanation, it seems the new design of the offset washers/cams doesn't require the need to knock off the tabs of the control arm mounts. So you could later on decide to change it out and install the adjustable CAs...
that is what I read too, but I could be reading too much into it. I would really like to see and hear how these work...

Quick Reply: Old Man Emu 4inch?