Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Old Man Emu 2" need drive train mods?

Old 06-25-2009, 05:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skipper
I am thinking of going with the ome 2", which I had on my TJ, and loved it.
My question is, would this 2" require any modifiactions, other than the springs and shocks themselves?
You're going to want adj. trackbars, rear coil spring retainers, sway bar links, brake line extensions, adj. upper control arms, etc. David @ Northridge has put together a nice OME kit with all of the above. I recommend all of these parts if you really want it to drive nice
Old 06-25-2009, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Doing the install this weekend

OME HD springs
front/rear track bars
ext brake lines
lt shocks
bump stops
spring retainers
Currie front lowers
Sway bar links

plan to install this weekend, 2dr rubicon
Old 06-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

I did mine with David at Northridge.

HD in the front MD in the rear
Front Rear Bumpstops
Front and Rear Track Bars
Rear sway bar - Move the rear up front
and JKS disconnects
Old 06-25-2009, 06:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ARsahara
You'll get more than 2" with the OME kit which will make your drive shaft rub.
Not on an manual it won't.

Signed,

Happy OME Customer
Old 06-25-2009, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skipper
I am thinking of going with the ome 2", which I had on my TJ, and loved it.
My question is, would this 2" require any modifiactions, other than the springs and shocks themselves?
Don't get caught up in everyones "I want to sell you MORE". Again, I have the OME 2" installed on my 08 Rubicon Unlimited Automatic. I have lots of weight ARB front Bumper with PowerPlant and rear arb and more. I have had my Jeep in two GOOD shops and they BOTH said I am fine, no additional items needed. The only change I did was the Woods relocate for safety reasons and I did the EVO Rear shock relocation brackets to move my rear shock mount higher for more clearances. Other than that IT IS GREAT. I put over 700-lbs in my rear receiver to carry two-dirt bikes and it is great.
Happy Jeeping Skipper and save your money for the BIG Buy!
Old 06-25-2009, 11:12 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Don't get caught up in everyones "I want to sell you MORE".

For some reason you think we are all vendors??

Could be a difference in how everyone uses their JK's. Ya know, actually off roading them vs towing a couple dirtbikes and riding the bikes on the trails...

Adj control arms - At 3+ inches lift, my handling was very flighty. They weren't a 'necessity', but they sure do make driving enjoyable again, instead of following every little imperfection in the road. Since Caster isn't very adjustable with fixed arms, these are certainly worth considering. (Unless you recommend Cam Bolts?)

Longer swaybar links - Necessity? No. But that nice steep angle the bar was at after the lift sure didn't look very healthy. Maybe it works for you on your mall runs, though? Do a search and you'll find some threads of lifts with stock 'short' links where the swaybars flipped around backwards during articulation and pretzled the swaybar & links. ( 'Will' it happen to you? Who knows. 'Could' it happen to you? Go look at the pics. My opinion - ext rear links are cheap. Get them, then put the stock rears up front...)

Bumpstops - I over-compressed the springs and rubbed both fender and bumper without them. Do you actually flex the suspension? I can't be the only one that 'needs' these...

Adj Trackbars - Needed? No. As I've said in other posts, if I had this choice to make over again, I'd go with a set of CA's before these. But I do like the axles actually being centered. (See how far two of your tires stick out, then decide.)

Brake Lines - I got the extended brake lines. Guess what? I still ripped a bracket off the frame. Spent $5 at the hardware store and made extended brackets in addition to the longer lines. So, needed? Definitely!

What did I miss?

But, I have the HD springs with over 3" of lift. With the regular/light springs, giving 2" or less, or if he doesn't plan on actually using his jeep offroad, some/most/all of that may not be needed. Guess it depends on what he goes with, and what handling he's willing to live with...

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-25-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EHarris
I did mine with David at Northridge.

HD in the front MD in the rear
Front Rear Bumpstops
Front and Rear Track Bars
Rear sway bar - Move the rear up front
and JKS disconnects
By "medium" in the rear do you mean the 618 300 LB constant load springs? There is a step up I believe to 600 LB "heavy" constand load for the rear. Just curious because it seems like different people have different interpretations of what constitutes light, medium, and heavy rate springs.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

I am as confused as when I starterd this post. I do offroading, or I wouldn't do a lift in the first place.
However, the 2" I had on the JK was fine for what I do. I just have to work a little harder than the guys with 4" lifts some times. It is also my daily driver, so I do not want to compromise the street ride. It is a 2 dr X with automatic, and the offroad package (rear lockers and electronic sway bar disconnect).
It sounds like I am getting more than 2" of lift. I, in particular, do not want to do any drive train modifications. I want to keep the lifetime warranty intact. (I hope is is my lifetime, and not Chrysler's).
Old 06-26-2009, 01:09 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

OME lifts for JK's come with several different spring rates that will determine the amount of lift you get. As stated, I have the heavier duty springs, hence more height, and more need for additional mods.

Just be sure you get the medium/light, and not the heavy.

David from Northridge posted in the last few days that there are actually only two spring rates for the 2-doors. Wouldn't hurt to give him a call to double check before you purchase...

Also, if you go with the bare minimum kit, I would still suggest a set of extended front bumpstops and rear swaybar links.
-The bumpstops are cheap, and since they go 'inside' the front coil, you won't have to rip the front end apart a second time when you realize that you do need them.
-The longer rear links were $15 when I bought mine, then I move the stock rear links to the front. The stock rears are longer, so it brings the front swaybar back to the correct angle.

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-26-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Old Man Emu 2" need drive train mods?