Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Old Man Emu 2" need drive train mods?

Old 06-24-2009, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Man Emu 2" need drive train mods?

I am thinking of going with the ome 2", which I had on my TJ, and loved it.
My question is, would this 2" require any modifiactions, other than the springs and shocks themselves?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:15 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Require? No.

Would you want? Probably, depends on which springs you go with.

With the HD springs, I got 3 1/4". (on my unlimited with a heavy bumper and winch). Some people are reporting 4" on 2 doors with no added weight. If you go up this much, you will probably want to add more components. Adj trackbars, extended brake lines, a set of front adj control arms to fix the caster, bumpstops, etc.

2008 JK-X, 2 door, with offroad package (rear lockers and steering stabilizer disconnect)
Umm, what?

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-24-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

On my 4dr auto with the OME HD springs, 35's, extended shocks and brake line brackets I tore my front driveshaft boot off when I disconnected on the trail. Dealer replaced it no questions asked but I am installing new woods shafts on Thursday.
If you wheel it's an issues if not and you stay connected and do not buy extended shocks it no issue.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've put Old Man Emu shocks and springs in everything.

Rovers, Jeeps, Yodas, Fords, you name it. More Jeeps than anything else but we must've done a dozen suspension installs all OME in the past 2 years.

Never had any fitment, quality or wear issues AT ALL...I don't work in an auto related job either, all garage installs with simple hand tools.

I'm running HD springs in the 2 dor JK, I'd probobly go medium if had to do it again, didn't sag at all with the ARB bumper and 8,000 lb winch. Two full grown guys standing on the rear bumper barely moves it.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

You'll get more than 2" with the OME kit which will make your drive shaft rub.

The OME will give you at least 3" even with after market bumpers. I like OME stuff but that is why I didn't get their lift for the JK.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

GO WITH THE OME LIFT , I DID AND LOVE IT[ HD SPRINGS] JUST PLAN ON SWAYBAR LINKS, ADJUSTIBLE TRACK BARS AND ADJUSTIBLE CONTROL ARMS OR IT WILL RIDE LIKE A HIGH SPEED TANK! AND CHECK YOUR TOE WHEN DONE [1/8 INCH IN WORKED GREAT FOR ME]
Old 06-24-2009, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ARsahara
You'll get more than 2" with the OME kit which will make your drive shaft rub.

The OME will give you at least 3" even with after market bumpers. I like OME stuff but that is why I didn't get their lift for the JK.
A little over 3" on mine with the HD springs running Shrockworks front + winch and Mopar rear with 35 on the Mopar carrier. Ride quality is great.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

NO other mods are Needed. I went with the Heavier springs and you may want to go that route?

Great comfortable ride...
Old 06-24-2009, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

MORE MODS ARE NEED IF YOU TRAVEL ROUGH ROAD LIKE WE HAVE HERE IN THE NORTH COUNTRY.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OME kit is great. As for additions, guess it depends what you want to live with..... example.

I got the Northridge kit for my Unlimited w/ front/rear track bars. Didn't need to adjust the front at all. Had to adjust the rear between 1/8 and 1/4 inch to center the axle. I also got aftermarket Currie endlinks. Without them the front swaybar angle was -20 degrees. It's now set at +5 degrees. (Required, not necessarily, but it's better for the auto disconnects and a proper way to do business.) Once I installed/rode on the Currie endlinks, noticed that the passanger rear link was intermittently rubbing/tapping the rear tire. Added Spidertrax wheel spacers to solve that problem.

So....the basic OME kit will fit the bill, but I like to do things "right". My total cost was about $1125.

BTW, with a Warn 8000 winch on the nose, I still ended out with a 3 1/8" lift from the HD kit. This is after driving it 4 months, to include 2x off-road excursions.

Quick Reply: Old Man Emu 2" need drive train mods?