Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Okay, Roof Rack Time... Narrowed Down to 2 Possibilities

Old 02-27-2013, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay, Roof Rack Time... Narrowed Down to 2 Possibilities

Hello!

I'm looking to get a roof top tent. But first I need a roof rack.

I'm not a fan of all the exo-bars running everywhere, so Gobi, Garvin etc are out. Plus these ones are too high for me to fit in my garage. I have about 4" to play with.

The new AEV one looks amazeballs. With the mounting through to the roll cage... I guess the down side is that I'd never use my soft top again.

I can't find any details on the rack other than AEV's site and the instruction pdf is missing the very last part on how the platform connects to the four hard top mounts. I'm wondering if you can easily take off the platform from the mounts? Anyone have good close-up pics? Inside mount pics?

The other one I was looking at and have seen on a Jeep locally is the MBRP Off-Camber one. I read somewhere that they adapted it for the 2012 larger hardtop side windows. I wouldn't get the front part, just the back part. Any opinions on this one? I like that I could take off my hard top and the rack comes with it.

And just for reference, here's my 2012 Sahara:

Thanks for your input!

Cheers! ~ Paul.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have you checked out FrontRunner? It is similar to the AEV, but has greater versatility and can be run with the hard top off. I'm still on the fence about getting this one or a Gobi, they are roughly the same price.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 PM
JK Freak

I know the FrontRunner he ^^ is taking about. I finally was able to see one in person while balancing my tires yesterday. The guy had it mounted on his Rubi and was very satisified with it. It was clean meaning it mounted directly to the hardtop and didnt require the exoskeleton like most others.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yarjammer
Have you checked out FrontRunner? It is similar to the AEV, but has greater versatility and can be run with the hard top off. I'm still on the fence about getting this one or a Gobi, they are roughly the same price.
No, I didn't consider the Frontrunner because I thought it had windshield pillars... but it seems that it has various mounting options, one of which doesn't include the pillar mounts? The brochure photo isn't detailed enough to see how it connects.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:44 AM
JK Super Freak

This is probably a silly question, but... Have you considered whether or not the roof rack style you want will support the weight of a tent and bodies? Personally, I wouldn't think my fat ass would be supported without those "exoskeletons".
Old 02-28-2013, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fifthconspiracy

No, I didn't consider the Frontrunner because I thought it had windshield pillars... but it seems that it has various mounting options, one of which doesn't include the pillar mounts? The brochure photo isn't detailed enough to see how it connects.
The windshield pillars are flat vice tubular, sit flush with the windshield, and would allow you to put a wind deflector across it. Not sure how this could be considered more "exo-cagey" than the MBRP rack. If you are wanting max load capacity you would need the front pillars, the pillar-less version appears to be not much different from a Yakima rail mount setup. Considering how much weight you are planning on putting up there (RTT) I would get the most secure product I could afford. Utility and aesthetics are strange bedfellows in the overland/off road world.

You say you are wanting to keep the rack at 4" max; are you limiting it to 4" because you are accounting for the increased height from the RTT as well? They are a PIA to install and remove on a whim if you are wanting to weekend warrior it. Most guys I know locally that use them at least a few times a season leave them up there for the entire season. The ones that don't, have hoists for the RTT in their garage and still curse bit about it.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:03 AM
JK Super Freak

have you considered a m416 trailer with a rooftop tent?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by fifthconspiracy
Newer ones have pillars....older style does not. I believe you can still buy both styles.

Quick Reply: Okay, Roof Rack Time... Narrowed Down to 2 Possibilities