Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ok to install lift?

Old 06-06-2009, 09:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
I wouldnt worry about the one or two bad reviews, theres literally hundreds of people running this lift without any of these issues.

We wheeled with a guy in moab with the same lift for a week, and they didnt move. He was flex out to the max on most trails.
interesting. sure would be nice to hear from some of those guys. Maybe FT changed suppliers at some point?
Old 06-06-2009, 12:35 PM
JK Jedi Master

without digging to much, straight from the thread you linked too

Originally Posted by dkingjk
I've had my FT BB on since Jan of 07 along with the MForce shocks. I wheel/camp often and hard (not like the west coast hard) but usually
dont shy away from much. I've never had a problem with springs slipping
or making any strange noises. My kit came with the track bar relocation bracket
which ended up tearing of my factory bracket about 10 miles from anywhere. I got it welded back together the next day and ordered a FT adj trackbar.

I would use their product again if I decide to go to 35s.
Originally Posted by RubiBurst
I ran my FT BB for about 12,000 miles with several wheeling trips in there before I went to a full spring lift. I never had a problem with the springs coming unseated. It is tough to tell from the pics, I can't quite tell what is going on. Sorry I can't provide an answer for you.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm the guy pig was in moab with. The kit has been on my jeep for 20k + miles and i've never had a problem. I'm running 33's and 1.25" spydertrax spacers with the lift and I was flexed out as far as it could be and they never moved on me! 3800 mile round trip to moab, wheeled all week and drove it home! I approve the Fulltraction budget boost!
Old 06-06-2009, 02:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
without digging to much, straight from the thread you linked too
Originally Posted by Bruised
I'm the guy pig was in moab with. The kit has been on my jeep for 20k + miles and i've never had a problem. I'm running 33's and 1.25" spydertrax spacers with the lift and I was flexed out as far as it could be and they never moved on me! 3800 mile round trip to moab, wheeled all week and drove it home! I approve the Fulltraction budget boost!
Huh, guess there are some. wonder what made the difference...
Old 06-06-2009, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I emailed David at northridge Friday and he said not to worry about the kit. He said he has sold a "ton" of them without any complaints. Also said if I did have a problem he would make sure it was taken care of.

I had full intention of getting the install done today but ended the night closer to 45% done LOL. Between running around this morning looking for a quality jack and stands and me with my netbook and paper instuctions going back and fourth over every little detail the time added up and then it started raining. I was fine with the rain and got the front driver side done. On the front passenger side the bumpstop hole took forever because my POS cordless drill (older craftsman) kept dieing and would not recharge. Finally borrowed an electric but then when I put the self tapping bold in something happened to where it didn't thread right or somehow the whole got messed up as the bolt wiggles easily. My fix for this was to try and find a nut to throw on the bottom to secure it. By that time only Walmart was open but I wanted to get the front done so we went and looked and of course they didn't have the size I needed. So tomorrow I'll be going out and getting a couple nuts to finish that and then hopefully the back will go pretty quickly...

I have to say the instructions that comes with the FT kit really assumes you know what you are doing and skips a ton of detail that I had no clue about. I am using the write ups on project JK which has been more useful with the pictures, torque details, etc
Old 06-06-2009, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, since we are talking about lift kits. If I do install the Teraflex 2.5" BB, will I need to buy a new steering dampener to go with the lift, or is it ok without the new dampener?
Old 06-06-2009, 07:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by e0987c5t3
Ok, since we are talking about lift kits. If I do install the Teraflex 2.5" BB, will I need to buy a new steering dampener to go with the lift, or is it ok without the new dampener?
your fine, You dont really even need one to begin with.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got the lift installed finally! It rained again today and the back springs seemed a bit harder to put back in place with the lift spacer but a can of full throttle, some swearing, and elbow grease got it done. I think next time I will find a spring compressor! The back was a bit trickier I had to disconnect rear sway bar first and reconnect it last due to my tools not being able to get in to the rear shock bolt with it connected.

I am seeing some "smoosh" on the rear passenger spacer lip already but I don't see how it can be avoided due to the nature of the spring coil. At first that lip was pinched down and fearing it would crease I used a flat blade screw driver to guide it outside the spring but it still has the same look as in the picture posted previously where its kinda pushing outward to one side. The other side doesn't seem to be as bad but I can still feel/see where one edge is bulging some.

I did a little bit driving around and everything seems ok. I thought I heard a rattle in the back end but then realized my wife had a pile of horse halters in the back that where clanking around I ran through some curvey roads, dirt roads with bumps, etc to see how it felt. I think it feels mostly the same and seems to be tracking straight, the drive to work tomorrow should reveal more (or not). I did NOT install the front track bar relocation bracket since there where so many comments here saying not to do it.

Thanks to WOL and Project-JK.com for all the right ups that where more helpful than the instructions that came with the kit!

Should I have the alignment checked? It felt normal and was straight in my short driving around tonight. The directions say to have it done, I don't want to throw money away but if it safer to have it checked I wouldn't consider that a waste.

Pictures coming...
Old 06-07-2009, 06:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just re-center your steering wheel and keep your money, that's all an alighnment shop would do and check your toe. If you haven' t changed to bigger tires , no need to check toe.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok thanks, I'm not even sure the recenter is needed but I will notice it more tomorrow if it is not.

Quick Reply: Ok to install lift?