Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ok to install lift?

Old 06-05-2009, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TekWarren
I got my full traction econo lift 2" from northridge early this week and I am sticking with the stock tires and wheels - unlimited X 24s package, 17" wheels with 31" tires (i think). I ordered the wheel spacers from Rough Country on May 26 and still can't so much as even track the shipment...I don't think it has even shipped yet BUT I am wondering if I can attempt the lift install without the spacers for now and if it will still be ok for daily driving? I have read about rubbing sway bar links and stuff and if that is going to be an issue I will wait for the wheel spacers (or re-order somewhere else!)

Thanks

Hey, I am looking at the Full Traction lift. It says it recommends buying a steering dampener with the relocation kit. Did you buy that, and it is really necessary?
Old 06-05-2009, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scottrock
IMO I wouldn't install THAT lift. Period.

EEEK! That has me nervous...I did notice that the material the spacers where made of felt very plasticy. I also noticed I could flex that lip with little force...I will really be watching it once its installed. What are other kits spacers made of?
Old 06-05-2009, 10:40 AM
JK Freak

EEEK! That has me nervous...I did notice that the material the spacers where made of felt very plasticy. I also noticed I could flex that lip with little force...I will really be watching it once its installed. What are other kits spacers made of?
Not sure about "others" but the TeraFlex spacers I recieved the other day are a very hard rubber and they also incorporate a spring guide into the bottom of them.

Here they are:

http://www.teraflex.biz/products/jk-...acer-pair.html

They are hard enough that you could knock someone the f^$k out if you hit em with it. I would say each one weighs a couple pounds as opposed to the very light weight of the FT spacers. I too noticed the thin rubbery lip and could actually push the whole spacer into an oval they were so soft. I ran my FT kit on the road for almost two months before I hit the trails and they looked like this from day one.

All I hit were some very mild sand trails and a mud hole or two before it slipped off entirely.

I am swapping mine out this weekend and will be posting pics for a side by side comparison.

My recommendation; return the kit.

Unless you want to be #3, I already played guinea pig here and installed mine anyway even after reading RedNeckJeeps thread. I wish I would have taken my hard earned $140 and put it into a better kit cuz now I'm spending money twice. I hate doing that.

Last edited by scottrock; 06-05-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like you didn't get any reimbursement from the vendor or the manufacturer then eh? Did you pursue any such claims? I purchased mine from Northridge and the package is open so I don't know how that would handled or what the restocking fee would be. I would think that such vendors would not carry products with such a huge defect in quality.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:40 AM
JK Freak

Sounds like you didn't get any reimbursement from the vendor or the manufacturer then eh? Did you pursue any such claims? I purchased mine from Northridge and the package is open so I don't know how that would handled or what the restocking fee would be. I would think that such vendors would not carry products with such a huge defect in quality.
No, to be fair to both FT and Northridge, I did not pursue anything with either the supplier or the manufacturer. I ordered mine from David as well and though I always hear great things about David I honestly was in the frame of mind to move forward with the install simply to see if the rear spacer issue was across the board. That and I really, really hate the hassle of returning/restock fees etc. That and I wanted my 2" lift dammit

Of course hindsight is always 20/20 and if I were to do it again I would have just dealt with the hassle. Now not only am I facing double the work, it's going to cost more $$$ just to go back in and do it right. The second time grrrr

FWIW, I recal RedNeckJeep attempted to contact FT and got the blow off. The specifics are in his thread.

edit: here, courtesy of RedNeck (hope ya don't mind RNJ)

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
As you can see, both sides had significantly slipped. I contacted Full Traction and spoke with Steve regarding this some time ago. He asked me to send pictures, which I did. To date, I have gotten no response. Not trying to slam a sponsor, I am just telling what happened. More than a month has elapsed since my first contact. Steve seemed willing to help when I did speak with him....I just never received a response after I sent pics for whatever reason. Since I was already planning on replacing the spacer BB, it's really no biggie. I wanted to post up the pics for all of you though, because I followed the instructions to the letter and this was the result. The rear spacers are now crushed, and no longer usable because they slipped out of place. Those of you with the Full Traction BB spacer lifts might want to check on this.

Last edited by scottrock; 06-05-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:54 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some in my garage on the shelf... they are very soft, like rubber. I have never seen a spacer made from that type of material.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Damn, now I'm torn. I'm a noob to begin with and don't want to be frustrated by installing crap hardware. I think I will do some reading on those threads and try and get a picture of how many people have installed the FT 2" kit and have had issues. If there is not already sounds like grounds for a poll. Man I really want to install this weekend!

Side note, got a reply from rough country. It was very short stating that the spacers where backordered until the 11th, no apologies or anything offered for not notifying sooner. I have asked to cancel the order.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:05 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think FT makes good products, but everyone makes one booboo sometimes.

If I was you I would get spidertrax wheel spacers... The RC ones are new to the market, and RC isn't known for making the best of anything. They are known for making the cheapest. I am not saying they build bad stuff, but I wouldn;t risk lives just to save a few bucks. I would get the spertrax and never look back.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I have some in my garage on the shelf... they are very soft, like rubber. I have never seen a spacer made from that type of material.
Damn, now I'm torn. I'm a noob to begin with and don't want to be frustrated by installing crap hardware. I think I will do some reading on those threads and try and get a picture of how many people have installed the FT 2" kit and have had issues. If there is not already sounds like grounds for a poll. Man I really want to install this weekend!

Side note, got a reply from rough country. It was very short stating that the spacers where backordered until the 11th, no apologies or anything offered for not notifying sooner. I have asked to cancel the order.
FWIW in the months the two original threads (mine and Reds) have been around, I have heard zero responses from anyone else running this lift.

I would be curious to know if there IS anyone running this BB without issue.

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I think FT makes good products, but everyone makes one booboo sometimes.

If I was you I would get spidertrax wheel spacers... The RC ones are new to the market, and RC isn't known for making the best of anything. They are known for making the cheapest. I am not saying they build bad stuff, but I wouldn;t risk lives just to save a few bucks. I would get the spertrax and never look back.
I've heard great things about FT other kits as well. Still no excuse for a piss poor product that is advertised as "Complete and correct" (that's taken straight from the manuf product desc.)

And X10 on the spidertrax recommendation though I am not running spacers, if I were, I'd go for those.

Last edited by scottrock; 06-05-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:08 AM
JK Jedi Master

I wouldnt worry about the one or two bad reviews, theres literally hundreds of people running this lift without any of these issues.

We wheeled with a guy in moab with the same lift for a week, and they didnt move. He was flex out to the max on most trails.

Quick Reply: Ok to install lift?