Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ok to install lift?

Old 06-05-2009, 04:51 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tweba08
Why would you need spacers to fit your STOCK wheels and tires on after you lift your Jeep? The only time spacers are needed is when you put bigger/wider tires on the stock wheels. The lift has NOTHING to do with it.
Sorry, but this is incorrect.

With some lifts, when using longer shocks/adapters there ARE interference problems with the stock rims/tires.

See here: TeraFlex 2.5" BB Info Update!!

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
With so many questions about clearance issues with TeraFlex 2.5” BB kits, TeraFlex wants to help clarify 2 potential issues with the rear swaybar.

1. If you install the rear swaybar links on the outside, this may cause your swaybar to move side to side. This could allow the swaybar to rub against the brake lines.

2. Another issue we’ve heard about is tires rubbing on the rear swaybar when installing our TeraFlex 2.5” BB. Longer than stock shocks or shock extensions on stock shocks allow the axle to droop farther for improved flex. With this improved suspension movement the rear tires will rub on the swaybar at full flex. 4.5 inch backspacing rims are required or wheel offset spacers if you run stock rims.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rear tires were less than a quarter inch away from the lower control arm.
any lateral force (turning, cornering) caused the tires to rub against the CA.
The shoulder lugs on the BFG KM's really let you know that they were rubbing.
The brake lines were pretty close too.
I did a 4.5" suspension lift not BB, but I would check these 2 areas carefully even with the BB.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Sorry, but this is incorrect.

With some lifts, when using longer shocks/adapters there ARE interference problems with the stock rims/tires.

See here: TeraFlex 2.5" BB Info Update!!
He is referring to the full traction lift and the rear sway bar links will not rub with the stock wheels but it is close.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TekWarren
I think your caps key is stuck... I'm pretty new to the whole lift thing and it seems like I have read about issues with stock wheels and wasn't sure if it was only when going with bigger tires or not. I'm getting the picture its ok.
Sorry for the caps, I do that sometimes when making a point and it comes off as me being an azzhole, my bad....
Old 06-05-2009, 06:07 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tweba08
He is referring to the full traction lift and the rear sway bar links will not rub with the stock wheels but it is close.
I understand that, but your post was very general and this is a known issue with some lifts. I didn't want anyone misreading it.

It isn't a widely publicized concern with the RE BB lifts either, but mine where VERY close and it would have taken very little lateral movement to make them have contact.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's all good, I've probably done it myself, when in a similar situation. I'm going to try the install this weekend and hopefully I will hear back from rough country on a timeline, otherwise I will go with the spidertrax.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've already mentioned to David that I might be looking but thought I would give Rough Country a chance to return my inquiry and see what the time frame is. Still kinda irked though that they wouldn't let me know about the back order.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

As soon as my new wheels get off back order I'll sell you my spidertrax. lol Seems like everything I have ever ordered for my JK has been backordered.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Enteric
As soon as my new wheels get off back order I'll sell you my spidertrax. lol Seems like everything I have ever ordered for my JK has been backordered.
I might take you up on that offer!
Old 06-05-2009, 07:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TekWarren
I got my full traction econo lift 2" from northridge early this week and I am sticking with the stock tires and wheels - unlimited X 24s package, 17" wheels with 31" tires (i think). I ordered the wheel spacers from Rough Country on May 26 and still can't so much as even track the shipment...I don't think it has even shipped yet BUT I am wondering if I can attempt the lift install without the spacers for now and if it will still be ok for daily driving? I have read about rubbing sway bar links and stuff and if that is going to be an issue I will wait for the wheel spacers (or re-order somewhere else!)

Thanks
IMO I wouldn't install THAT lift. Period.

That is unless Full Traction has changed the materials they use to manufacture the spacers. Myself and RedNeckJeep both have threads regarding problems associated with the rear spacers.

Mine went from this:

BTW, both sides bulged at the rear of the spacer and the drivers side has not slipped off yet, BUT

They went to this:

after one fairly tame off road excursion

The top of the passenger side rear spring slid off the spacer and smashed the "lip" that is supposed to keep the spring in place.

I have since ordered a pair of TeraFlex rear spacers to replace the FT.

Here are the threads mentioned above.

Mine:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/south-49/2-ft-bb-81464/

RedNeckJeep:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/full-traction-2-bb-spacer-lift-81007/

Last edited by scottrock; 06-05-2009 at 07:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Ok to install lift?