Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ok I need help w/ my Heavy JK and rear suspension.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok I need help w/ my Heavy JK and rear suspension.

Hey guys I hve some technical questions for you.

I have a 09" Unlimited with a tf 2.5" coil lift with Rubi shocks and shock extensions.
I've had the lift for just over a year now and it's sagging a bit but that was expected.

I'm putting on the 35's tomorrow and will be adding a rear LOD bumper/tire carrier by months end. I've got some extra weight in the form of a Gobi rack, AEV rear corners and an evap skid.

I figure once the rear bumper is on I'm gonna drop about another 1/2" in the rear if I go by what I've read.

Now I've mentioned before that me and my wife are trekking across Canada this year and will also be carting an RTT (about 110lbs), 3 dogs (about 120lbs) and misc gear (about 75lbs).

So I've come to 2 possible solutions to regain some of my lost height (after deciding not to switch to another lift or OME coils etc):

Option #1: Swap the existing rear 1/2" spacer for a 1" spacer and possibly add a set of rear 2.5" speed bumps in case I bottom out.

Option #2: Swap the rear 2.5" coils for a set of 3" coils and then keep or discard the existing 1/2" rear spacer? This is the more expensive route.

I like option #1 the best but I was speaking to the Tech who does the work I can't do myself. He said he had doubts I would need the speed bumps and said that the 2.5" coils were already weak and that adding the spacer "might" raise the center of gravity and when loaded up and traveling my rig might sway a lot.

He liked the idea of swapping for the 3" coils but questioned how the stock rear trac bar and TF trac bar bracket would react and whether the axle would shift to one side. He said as the new coils would be "new" they would be stiff and probably sit higher than 3" plus the added height of the spacer the kit originally came with. I thought about what he said and then wondered whether the brake lines would be to tight and whether the rubi shocks would be long enough. I really don't have money to spend on longer shocks, brake lines or a new rear trac bar at this time (although these are slated for the future).

Sorry for the rambling but with the grocery list of mods I wish to add before hitting the road this summer I want to make sure I make the best choices while putting the $ in the right spots. For your info this lift will eventually be swapped out for a different lift but not before this trip is made.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:37 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

From many other TF threads, those 3" coils will give over 4" on 4doors, closer to 5" on 2doors.

Yes, your rear axle will shift with the added height. Enough to worry about? Dunno, but I doubt it.

$10 at your local hardware store will set you up with brakeline extension brackets. (or longer brackets if you already have some)

Since you already have shock extensions, that could possibly be an issue with another inch+ of lift height. But my guess is that it won't be a huge deal, and you can get away with it until you replace.

From what you have said, I think I would opt for the spacer to get your through the trip. (if you even need it? See how much height you lose with the added weight and decide from there...)

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-10-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

With that heavy a load sitting in the rear, i would research OME HD rear coil springs they are rated at 300/600 lbs depending on which HD spring you get. Good luck on your trip.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off I would not add speed bumps. They are expensive and really are designed to give you good cushioned ride on rough surfaces, especially at high speed. On the other hand rear bump stops are cheap (really easy to install) and would save you from over compressing your rear coils. (Maybe the speed bumps do that too, but I don't know).

Also if you raised your jeep with any new coils or spaces you risk having to recenter your axles with an adjustable track bar or bracket. Similarly you may have to extend your brake lines. On a positive note if all of your added weight brings your jeep back to where you are now (before the added weight) you may not need to worry about too much off centered axles or extended brake lines.

Further the brake lines can be extended by getting a new bracket where they mount to the frame (Teraflex makes one) or you can easily make one from a simple metal bracket from a hardware store (I have seen one or two write ups on the forum). Both ways are cheaper and easier than installing longer brake lines.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

Ok, just to clarify. I have the TF 2.5" coil lift installed. It came with brake line brackets and a rear trac bar bracket to help center the rear axle. My end goal is not to gain height but to remain as close to my current height as possible after the addition of the LOD rear bumper/tire carrier and a spare 35" tire and not to loose much height with the addition of gear.

I guess I might try swapping the spacers and see how it rides since I'm not hitting the road until the warm weather arrives.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In that case I would just try the spacers and maybe do bump stops to be on the safe side.

Quick Reply: Ok I need help w/ my Heavy JK and rear suspension.