Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OK I need help. I can't make up my dern mind on tires. :(

Old 03-30-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK I need help. I can't make up my dern mind on tires. :(

So I'm about to get some black 15x8 MB72 rims and I can't figure out what tire to get. My JK is my DD and I will do some off roading but not much. I hunt in the fall/winter so I'll be doing some off roading during that time for hunting purposes. Anyway here is what I have kind of narrowed it down too. I'm just looking for an AT tire that is good both on and off road. I don't really want a MT due to the fact that this is my DD. Oh, I'm not running any lift so take that into account. What will give me the best AT look and best on and off road performance??

I'll be getting 31/10.5/15s.

I'm looking at these right now.

Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10
General Grabber AT2
Cooper Discoverer S/T

Maybe the Goodyear DuraTracs, but I'm not sure on the road noise and how long they would last with quite a bit of on road driving.

Or any others that you would recommend??? Thanks!!!!!

Last edited by ArkJK; 03-30-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Hankook is a great tire, I'm running bfg's but I've had hankook before and they were great

Generals don't know much about

Duratrac is discontinued and replaced with MTR Kevlar
Old 03-30-2011, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jae Suite
Really??! They are still listed on every tire site I've been on doing research.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:12 AM
JK Super Freak

With the size youre looking at: I'll be getting 31/10.5/15s; recommend you go to discount tire website and read the reviews. I find them helpful.
Noticed the BF Goodrich AT comes in that size. The Coopers are good tires but havent owned them so cant speak from experience.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Where is that information coming from? First I have heard of it. Both of those tires have been around for quite a while.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ArkJK
I'm just looking for an AT tire that is good both on and off road. I don't really want a MT due to the fact that this is my DD.
I had similar requirements and did loads of research. Ended up with Cepek FC-II. Have you considered it? It's supposed to be a middle of the road between AT and MT. More aggressive than typical AT, but more suitable for DD than a MT.

I've been very happy with mine. 6k miles on them so far, and I've used them in dry conditions, mud, rain and snow. Fine DD, not noisy. As long as you don't get in over your head in mud or snow, seems to do well there too. That said, I have been stuck twice.

h ttp://www.dickcepek.com/tires.php and select "view specs" under the FC-II

They do make a 31 x 10.50 R15
Old 03-30-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Take a look at Nitto Terra and Nitto Trail Grapplers. The Trail Grapplers are a little more aggressive but look good and I really like em' they ride real nice on the road. the Terra Grapplers are a little more tame and from what I've heard are real nice on the road.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe the Goodyear DuraTracs, but I'm not sure on the road noise and how long they would last with quite a bit of on road driving.
The road noise is pretty tame. Not much of a diffrence between them and the OEM Goodyear 245/75r16 SR-A's. I got almost 80.000 miles out of my SR-A's. Looking to do the same with the Duratracks
Old 03-30-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is incorrect...not sure how you came to this conclusion. The MTR Kevlar repalced the old style MTR (an MT), which is now discontinued. The Duratrac is a relatively new tire (AT/MT hybird), and what I currently run in 315/75R16.

I love the Duratrac: super quiet on road performance, with really good road manners, and great all weather traction. They have done fantastic in deep snow, mud, wet, rocks....basically anything I've thrown at them. Only two real complaints: 1) The 35's are a load E, and don't flex exceptionally well at ~12 psi with that stiff of a carcass, and 2) They don't come in 37's!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the info guys.

So, will 15x8 MB 72 rims (black) with 31/10.5/15 Goodyear DuraTracs look good??????? I haven't seen a picture of this set-up so just trying to picture it in my mind. Again, I have no lift.

And JK-Ford, I see you are in Cabot. I'm in Little Rock! Nice to see another arkie.

Last edited by ArkJK; 03-30-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Quick Reply: OK I need help. I can't make up my dern mind on tires. :(