Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OK, help me choose another mod for my 2 dr X.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, help me choose another mod for my 2 dr X.

Here's how my Jeep sits now:

Stock with an OR-Fab stinger stubby that I got a good limited time deal on (otherwise, it wouldn't have been my first mod).

I just bit the bullet on a set of five 33"x12.50"x15" MTs on 15"x8" wheels to replace the stock car tires and 16" steelies.

I have enough left over for one more mod, but it needs to be under $500 to keep the wife happy.

I already have a TF leveling kit and some stiffer JKU coils sitting in the garage waiting for the tires, so I think I'll be as tall as I want to be with 33"s and the small lift.

I was thinking either the Recon 10500 lb winch with synthetic line, or a new rear bumper. Maybe shocks instead? Lights?
What would you get next?

Jason
Old 05-21-2011, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

go with the winch unless you plan on alot of night wheeling and I think it will make the bumper look better. If you get stuck the lights are no good anyway.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lights and a Hi-Lite with the recovery bag. That way you have lights and a way to get unstuck when it happens. If you have any $ left over get the small things; fire ext. grab handles (wife thinks that is one of the beat mods) shovel, small tool bag. tow rope...

Chris
Old 05-21-2011, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

Just my opinion but I think the winch would make the bumper look less lonely up there
Old 05-21-2011, 02:04 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs down

Either a winch or windshield lights. If you play to enough to be concerned about getting stuck, go winch. Otherwise I'd go for the windshield lights. I went with the KC Long Range Slim lites. Not to pump up KC, but the KC logo reminded me of the light stickers on one of my toys when I was a kid. I do prefer the look the slim style light.

With that said I also did a bunch of little stuff like;
Extra grab handles. (~$20)
Fire extinguisher mounted to the roll bar (~$40)
Mini shovel velco'd to the roll bar (~$10-15)
Winch strap and D-Rings (~$60-70)
Tool bag with the basics (as much as you wallet can drop on it)
Homemade air down kit (~$40-50)
Flip the rearview mirror and tuck it up higher (free)
Evaporate skid (I lost the first evap canister will the skid was on backorder)
Diff cover skid
All kinds of other skids
A good one if you don't have a rubicon would be quick disconnects

A lot of little things can make you feel like you did alot all at one time.

Just my 2 cents. I hoPe that was helpful

Last edited by Gunn; 05-21-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just my opinion but I think the winch would make the bumper look less lonely up there
Yeah, trust me, no one knows it better than me. It pains me every time I see the empty bolt holes on the winch plate.

Jason
Old 05-21-2011, 02:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jason_G

Yeah, trust me, no one knows it better than me. It pains me every time I see the empty bolt holes on the winch plate.

Jason
Im goin thru the same ordeal man. Mine are beggin for any winch to be put in! It'll come together over time
Old 05-24-2011, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Okay, so I finally pulled the trigger. Was leaning real hard toward the rear bumper, and then some rock rails, but...

I ordered the Recon 10500 lb with synthetic line tonight. All the reviews seem to be positive, and I think I will feel a little better about having some means of self-recovery, since I might do some hunting in places where I will need 4WD to get to. Plus I can use it to hang deer up to skin them .

Jason
Old 05-24-2011, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	Recon2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	164318I have the Recon 10.5 too. Don't forget to order the bracket for the alum fairlead, which comes with the winch. This winch mounts with four bolts (1/2"? I forget) and captive square nuts. You have to use their nuts but I got grade 8 bolts just to be on the safe side. Never know about Chinese fasteners

Last edited by TieRod; 05-24-2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: photo added
Old 06-08-2011, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Here it is!

Like I said, I ordered a Recon 10.5 k with synth line, and also some wheels and tires. They are 15 x 8's with 33 x 12.50 Federal Couragia MTs. We haven't had any rain in a while, so I haven't gotten the chance to wheel them in the mud, but they have excellent road manners so far. Waiting to see how they will handle wet pavement. They have a faint hum that I expect will get louder, but they are far quieter than I expected, even with the doors off and top down.

Before:

After:

I still have a TF leveling kit and some JKU coils that I haven't put on yet. Maybe next weekend.

Jason

Quick Reply: OK, help me choose another mod for my 2 dr X.