Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OK Guys, Got new 10 4 door Rubi, time to spend money, take a look and let me know.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking OK Guys, Got new 10 4 door Rubi, time to spend money, take a look and let me know.

Ok, this is my first post on this site.

I am an aggressive rock crawler here in So Cal and do not shy away from anything. My daughter says daddy i want to climb that, we climb that.
This will be somewhat of a daily driver when I am not driving my vette.

Here is my list after reading a lot of post on here.

Full Traction 6" Long Arm lift (Hopefully they have in stock on Monday)
Bilstein 5100's
AEV Pinter Beadlocks ARGENT
37x13.5x17 Nitto Mud Grapplers
Drive Shafts (Not sure of what to buy)
Smittybuilt XRC front Bumper
Warn 9000i
Off Road Evo has the Gears 5.13 installed for $1,000 + tax (Special)
Rockhard Bolt in Sport Cage front and Back
RANCHO FRONT CONTROL ARM SKID
SPIDERTRAX WHEEL SPACERS 5X5 1.5IN ( Do I need These?)
BORLA AXLE BACK-SINGLE OUTLET ( Or what one adds more HP?)
SUPERCHIPS FLASHPAQ ( When is this supposed to be ready for 2010's)
AEM COLD AIR INTAKE (Does this add the most HP?)

Well that is my list for now, hopefully everyone has it in stock so I do not have to take the TJ.

What do you do about Aftermarket Skid Plates? Does the Rubicon need it?

do I need to cut some length off the stock rock rails? How much front and back running 37" tires?

What do I do about the airdown censors? Do they work in the AEV Beadlocks?

What is the best rear bumper with 2" receiver that will hold 37" tire and is solid? I might want to add the gas can and highlift to it. I would like the Lift points in the bumper as well.

Has anyone had problems with the automatic sway bar disconnects? I know a friend of mine had it reverse and tear his sidewall on his tire. What is the best option?

Well that is all for now. Off the 4wheel parts to get my winch, bumper and intake tomorrow.

Mark

I am sooo excited!

Last edited by mkjeep; 03-19-2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: for sale violation
Old 03-19-2010, 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

We have very similar Bucket Lists!

I might add for your considerations:
Skid Plates (River Raider sells complete sets), at least the Evap skid and Poison Spider makes a nice one.
DriveShafts from what I have learned make sure you get the Yoke as well (often a kit with Tom Woods)
EVO C2 Gussets (for strength with the 37" tires)
Axle Sleeves
Mirror Relocation (so you can have them when the doors are off)

Is the Superchips different than the AEV ProCal? (Something to consider.)
Do you have an Auto or Manual? From understanding with the 37's the Auto should run 5.38 gears and the Manual can run 5.13's.

Can't wait for others to chime in on their thoughts of what I Should have/could have dones!
And congrats to you and your daughter on the JK!!
Old 03-19-2010, 10:07 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What do you do about Aftermarket Skid Plates? Does the Rubicon need it?
no. unlike the old TJ's/YJ's and CJ's before, the JK (rubicon or not) does NOT need any aftermarket skidplates. trust me, save your money and spend it where you really need it. the only skid that i would recommend is the one thing that the JK does not come with from the factory and that's the oil pan. i run a benchmark design replacement hd oil pan on my orange JK and love it but, my white jk has the rancho skid and it works great too. both are very affordable, easy to install and will not sacrifice any ground clearance.

do I need to cut some length off the stock rock rails? How much front and back running 37" tires?
the back for sure and you will need to trim the pinch seam as well. up front, you should be okay.

What do I do about the airdown censors? Do they work in the AEV Beadlocks?
if you buy an aev procal or superchips flashpaq, you can set your tpms to whatever you want including zero.

What is the best rear bumper with 2" receiver that will hold 37" tire and is solid? I might want to add the gas can and highlift to it. I would like the Lift points in the bumper as well.
you have a lot of options here. i personally like the LoD rear shorty bumper tire carrier and am currently carrying a 40x15.50 toyo mt on it.

Has anyone had problems with the automatic sway bar disconnects? I know a friend of mine had it reverse and tear his sidewall on his tire. What is the best option?
your friend was running sway bar links that were too short for the amount of lift he had. also, if it made contact with the side walls, he was running wheels with too much back spacing.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by woolybully
Drive Shafts (Not sure of what to buy)
JE Reel, Coast, Tom Woods are all ready to go DS.

Off Road Evo has the Gears 5.13 installed for $1,000 + tax (Special)
Great deal!

RANCHO FRONT CONTROL ARM SKID
I'd look at the Off Road Evolution skids and get them welded...much better than bolt on when you are talking skids and the abuse the control arms take.

Well that is all for now. Off the 4wheel parts to get my winch, bumper and intake tomorrow.
Do yourself a favor and try Bustbizz if you want to use 4wheel parts cuz he'll get you good pricing and can have it delivered to your 4wheel parts store. Otherwise give Dave at Alpha Expedition or David at Northridge a try both are good sources of information as well as customer service and pricing!
Old 03-19-2010, 10:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you plan on relocating the evap canister, I would do a skid plate there especially if you're going to do some hard core crawling.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:51 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by xerofall
Unless you plan on relocating the evap canister, I would do a skid plate there especially if you're going to do some hard core crawling.
at 3" of lift and 35's, there's a lot of merit to this. heck, i went through 3 evap's before i went higher up. at 6" of lift and 37's, i don't think i ever came close to hitting my evap. now that i'm on 40's, same thing. i now play on harder trails than ever before and never come close to hitting the evap.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Der... I didn't even think about the lift he was talking about, or tires, hahaha... probably won't need it then.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the AEV Beadlocks. I drive hwy, street, and off road. There awesome. I would recommend them.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you plan on spending that type of money for your inital buy and you are a fairly aggressive wheeler, this is what I would do do first and foremost (and in order):

- C-Arm gussets (several on market)
- Outer reinforcement sleeves (several on market)
- ORE Front CoilOvers, Rear Throwdown, and long arms....OR...teraflex long arm LCG kit 3"....both w/ drive shaft replacements
- Flat fenders (either cut them yourself or purchase)
- 37s
- Gears 5.13s or 5.38 (manual vs auto)
- Skids all underneath

- All other goodies

Just my two cents...best of luck

Last edited by jeeperaf; 03-20-2010 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies, all good info. I will definitely have EVO do the C2 Gusset install when they do the gears.

How much do I need to cut off the rear of my rock rails? 2"?

I have an Auto but when Looking at the charts for gear ratio to rpms it seems a little high at 65 for the 5.38's. Who has 37's, exhaust, chip and intake like this and 5.13's? How are the RPM's and gas mileage. I want my cake and I want to eat it to.

My TJ is built up as well 6" Rusty's Long Arm, 4.88, ARB Lockers F & B, Chromoly 30 & 33 Spline shafts, 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers, RH Sport Cage etc...

I met some of you at the Bass Pro Shop meet and greet last year and saw some of your rigs. With the 2 kids I really needed a 4 door because I am the so called mechanic in the group and carry the welder, sawzall, drills, cordless impacts, spare parts, DUCT TAPE, wrenches etc.....

The Red JK that won the award last year was awesome and i have wondered if he ever took that off road or is he still driving it the the mall?

Maybe we will see you up in MOAB, I am not getting there till Friday afternoon and staying till the next Wed.

Mark

Quick Reply: OK Guys, Got new 10 4 door Rubi, time to spend money, take a look and let me know.