Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Oil pan tranny skids that work with exhaust extensions

Old 11-02-2013, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pan tranny skids that work with exhaust spacers

I've been taking more and more hits to cross members and hard bits under the Jeep as I've upped the level of trails I'm riding. The 2012 has a "tranny skid" that is no more than a bar in front of the main transmission crossmember. I've hit it multiple times but on the last trip it was smashed hard enough to drive it up into my exhaust.

I have an auto and those exposed transmission lines and big exposed tranny pan are obviously in harms way and I know I need a real skid with the hits I'm taking but my problem is that I use the Teraflex exhaust spacers for the 2012 so that my driveshaft won't get the boot chewed up when my axle droops. I've tested my driveshaft clearance and at full flex and the driveshaft comes within an 1/8" of hitting the exhaust even with the spacers so I know I need them.

But most of the skid plate threads I've read say that there isn't clearance for the exhaust if using the spacers. Some suggest going with an aftermarket front driveshaft but that has other drawbacks not to mention the expense.

So... who is running oil-pan tranny skids successfully on 2012's with spacers in the exhaust without rattling the exhaust on the skid plate? My exhaust cross-over is nearly even with the bottom of the transmission cross-member.

Here is a picture of the stock "transmission skid". I've used a sledgehammer to straighten it out but the exhaust still vibrates against it at certain RPMS.

Last edited by ThingsAbove; 11-02-2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 11-02-2013, 10:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can run the evo trans skid plate but you are goIng to need the engine oil pan skid to run it. It bolts to the back of the engine skid to the transmission mount, covering that trans cooler line. To run their crossmember skid you need to remove the spacers and get a front driveshaft, it protects the crossmember, exhaust crossover, and the exhaust loop. The stock trans crossmember dents really easy when running into rocks
Old 11-03-2013, 05:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by egeli
You can run the evo trans skid plate but you are goIng to need the engine oil pan skid to run it. It bolts to the back of the engine skid to the transmission mount, covering that trans cooler line. To run their crossmember skid you need to remove the spacers and get a front driveshaft, it protects the crossmember, exhaust crossover, and the exhaust loop. The stock trans crossmember dents really easy when running into rocks
I've read that the EVO can't be used with the spacers and requires an aftermarket driveshaft, hence my original post.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:59 AM
JK Freak

I'm pretty sure you can use the EVO oil pan and tranny skid, but the crossmember skid would hit the exhaust with spacers.

Get an upgraded crossmember, you won't need that skid. You might think of getting a driveshaft since it is a better option.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Billbikes
I'm pretty sure you can use the EVO oil pan and tranny skid, but the crossmember skid would hit the exhaust with spacers.

Get an upgraded crossmember, you won't need that skid. You might think of getting a driveshaft since it is a better option.
Nope it's incompatible with exhaust spacers. As I said in the OP I'm looking for a solution without exchanging the front driveshaft. There are other issues going with an aftermarket front driveshaft (namely driveline vibration at highway speeds).

In another forum a poster used Rockhard skid with a shim successfully on a 2012 with TF spacers. I may go that route.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thingsabove
nope it's incompatible with exhaust spacers. As i said in the op i'm looking for a solution without exchanging the front driveshaft. There are other issues going with an aftermarket front driveshaft (namely driveline vibration at highway speeds).

In another forum a poster used rockhard skid with a shim successfully on a 2012 with tf spacers. I may go that route.
i run the rugig ridge skid and will be installing the tf spacers this upcoming weekend if your not jumping to soon to wait.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did the other forum poster say where they bought the skids? Did they shim the skid themselves or did the skid manufacturer design it that way? BTW as a temp. solution U can install a 1 1/2" spacer on the factory trans. skid bar;that way it'll be below the exhaust crossover pipe.(to protect the ex. pipe).
Old 11-03-2013, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GetLost
Did the other forum poster say where they bought the skids? Did they shim the skid themselves or did the skid manufacturer design it that way? BTW as a temp. solution U can install a 1 1/2" spacer on the factory trans. skid bar;that way it'll be below the exhaust crossover pipe.(to protect the ex. pipe).
Rockhard skids. They offer a 1/4" shim as an option. The person who got it to work with his spacers added a 1/2" shim themselves to be on the safe side. I'm getting more input on aftermarket driveshafts. The vibration issues may be isolated but I'm still not wanting to spend nearly $500 on another driveshaft just so I don't have to shim my skid plate.

I need to replace the factory skid bar... it's about useless. A new factory trans-skid bar is only $23 if that gives you an idea of how cheap it is.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes sir;Im in the same boat. Have a 2012 JKS 2DR.auto W/4"Lft. Need exh. spacers for clearance. Dont like how trans. line is exposed. Fiqured i can run factory frnt. Drv. Shaft as long as poss. Im trying to find skids same as U. Thnx for the shim info:-)
Old 11-03-2013, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes sir;Im in the same boat. Have a 2012 JKS 2DR.auto W/4"Lft. Need exh. spacers for clearance. Dont like how trans. line/pan is exposed. Fiqured i can run factory frnt. Drv. Shaft as long as poss. Im trying to find skids same as U. Thnx for the shim info:-)

Quick Reply: Oil pan tranny skids that work with exhaust extensions