Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which oil pan skids that work with stock Rubi Trany skid?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which oil pan skids that work with stock Rubi Trany skid?

I've been trying to get the right oil pan protection for good month and a half now. There doesn't seem to be too many available choices.

1. Rancho RockGear stick on plate. This was my first choice until I realized its negative sides - if you don't use strong enough glue/epoxy you can loose it on the freeway. If you use strong glue this will be a permanent application, which I'd like to avoid.

2. Kilby, seems to be good product, but company was purchase a while ago and its settings are not there, I've been waiting for "new" Kilby to cut me a skid for a month now and still don't have a date for it to be ready.

3. RiverRaider, and RockHards are way expensive and I believe all of those are not going to work with the stock Rubi tranny skid which I don't see the reason to change since it is made off of good thickness still plate.

So is there any other choices I don't know about and would work with the stock Rubi plates?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:05 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SFBayArea
1. Rancho RockGear stick on plate. This was my first choice until I realized its negative sides - if you don't use strong enough glue/epoxy you can loose it on the freeway. If you use strong glue this will be a permanent application, which I'd like to avoid.
don't know why it would be a problem to have this as a permanent application. certainly, replacing the pan if needed is cheap and easy to do. also, the adhesive provided with the pan is more than strong enough to hold it in place if installed correctly.

2. Kilby, seems to be good product, but company was purchase a while ago and its settings are not there, I've been waiting for "new" Kilby to cut me a skid for a month now and still don't have a date for it to be ready.

3. RiverRaider, and RockHards are way expensive and I believe all of those are not going to work with the stock Rubi tranny skid which I don't see the reason to change since it is made off of good thickness still plate.

So is there any other choices I don't know about and would work with the stock Rubi plates?
not only are these alternatives more expensive, they will trap in a lot of heat. this is one of the reasons why jeep no longer makes JK's with even a tranny skid. my favorite option is to replace the oil pan with a heavy duty unit like the kind that benchmark makes. however, i won't lie and will tell you that there are a lot of members here who've been having trouble getting their orders from them in a reasonable amount of time. something you should be aware of.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Old 05-09-2011, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

I've been trying to get the right oil pan protection for good month and a half now. There doesn't seem to be too many available choices.

Just wanted to note that the Rancho skid comes with high-temp RTV silicon, and not glue/epoxy. It's more than sufficient to hold the skid, which is already a tight fit over the oil pan. Also, it is designed such that a wire can be used in addition to this to affix the skid.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
don't know why it would be a problem to have this as a permanent application. certainly, replacing the pan if needed is cheap and easy to do. also, the adhesive provided with the pan is more than strong enough to hold it in place if installed correctly.

not only are these alternatives more expensive, they will trap in a lot of heat. this is one of the reasons why jeep no longer makes JK's with even a tranny skid. my favorite option is to replace the oil pan with a heavy duty unit like the kind that benchmark makes. however, i won't lie and will tell you that there are a lot of members here who've been having trouble getting their orders from them in a reasonable amount of time. something you should be aware of.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Excellent point in regards of trapping heat, this is another reason why I swing away from RockHard. Don't you agree?

Benchmark, ha that is a funny company, I was waiting for the Evap canister for a month only to cancel my order and purchase it from some other vendor off of amazon. However, returning back to the heat trap, since Benchmark oil pan is made out of much heavier still, it too should make your oil ran hotter. Skid plate seems to be less obtrusive and provide most ventilation to the stock pan.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

X3 on the Rancho Oil Pan Skid!
Do not use anything other than the RTV that comes with the kit.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:25 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Excellent point in regards of trapping heat, this is another reason why I swing away from RockHard. Don't you agree?

Benchmark, ha that is a funny company, I was waiting for the Evap canister for a month only to cancel my order and purchase it from some other vendor off of amazon. However, returning back to the heat trap, since Benchmark oil pan is made out of much heavier still, it too should make your oil ran hotter. Skid plate seems to be less obtrusive and provide most ventilation to the stock pan.
negative. air passing directly over the oil pan will cool it regardless of how much thicker it is. certainly, i have not seen hot oil to be a problem on my jeep. most of the after market skids prevent air from moving freely over the pan and if anything, they create an insulating gap where heat can build up. again, this is one of the reasons why jeep only provides a skid bar for the tranny and no longer offers a tranny skid plate.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:40 AM
JK Freak

Who's lost it on the freeway ??? First time I've heard that one.

Trending Topics

Old 05-09-2011, 06:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Rancho "glue on" skid for the oil pan and used the supplied epoxy. That thing is not coming off by itself. I did use a small wire that took a minute to install as extra insurance should I knock it around on a rock.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JKZinger
I have the Rancho "glue on" skid for the oil pan and used the supplied epoxy. That thing is not coming off by itself. I did use a small wire that took a minute to install as extra insurance should I knock it around on a rock.
I also used a wire back up. A couple small holes drilled through the lip of the oil pan and routed the wire through the skid.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BONDSY
I also used a wire back up. A couple small holes drilled through the lip of the oil pan and routed the wire through the skid.
Thank you guys, but what do you do with the tranny protection? I have auto and with rancho "helmet" the protection only goes for the oil pan while tranny is still exposed. Do you have something else for tranny?

Quick Reply: Which oil pan skids that work with stock Rubi Trany skid?