Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Oil pan protection?

Old 05-17-2007, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pan protection?

I already dented the oil pan on my JK and as of now there's only one or two engine skid plates avaible, and very pricy! I was sizing it up today and i can see why at least one company mounts theirs to the engine because the only other option is the engine mounts. Anyway, a mechanic at work suggested "beefing" up the oil pan with thicker material. Basically cutting 3/16 or 1/4 steel plates and welding them on to cover the oil pan, so in a sense making the pan itself stronger. Now i'm sure its not the first time its been thought up so i figured i'd see what the general opinion of it is....anyone?

Thanks, Adam
Old 05-17-2007, 07:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems to me like that would work out okay, especially if they welded some of the same metal up the sides to keep it from crushing like soda can. Still wouldn't be as strong as a skid but would probably work for a lot of dings.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:51 PM
JK Newbie

They make one for the TJ that you just silicon sealed in place,Forgot who.
just make a "cap" for it, silicon the snot out of it, use a jack to "press" it into place over night to make sure it goes no where and it should work pretty decent.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:50 PM
JK Freak

for what it does, i'd drop the money on a skid. i think skid rows is only 300 and some change. i'm a big advocate of armor. to the point that i'll be nearly bullet-proof before i'm lifted.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Muddy_Rubicon
I already dented the oil pan on my JK and as of now there's only one or two engine skid plates avaible, and very pricy! I was sizing it up today and i can see why at least one company mounts theirs to the engine because the only other option is the engine mounts. Anyway, a mechanic at work suggested "beefing" up the oil pan with thicker material. Basically cutting 3/16 or 1/4 steel plates and welding them on to cover the oil pan, so in a sense making the pan itself stronger. Now i'm sure its not the first time its been thought up so i figured i'd see what the general opinion of it is....anyone?

Thanks, Adam
The CJ's oil pan was similar to this. It just had a plate on the bottom of the pan.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Renegade
The CJ's oil pan was similar to this. It just had a plate on the bottom of the pan.
yup, I think, but not sure, that my FJ40 had that too.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by usmcdoc14
They make one for the TJ that you just silicon sealed in place,Forgot who.
just make a "cap" for it, silicon the snot out of it, use a jack to "press" it into place over night to make sure it goes no where and it should work pretty decent.
I think you are referring Turbo City's skid.
turbocity.com -> Rock-It Parts

Old 05-18-2007, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by degenerate
for what it does, i'd drop the money on a skid. i think skid rows is only 300 and some change. i'm a big advocate of armor. to the point that i'll be nearly bullet-proof before i'm lifted.
I hear ya, but i like to build what i can and spend money on what i can't. So for me $300 is two diff covers and a body lift.

I think i'm going to go ahead and do it, i can't see it causing any issues and can only help...

Quick Reply: Oil pan protection?