Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Oil pan protection

Old 04-21-2012, 09:07 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Freyja
Oil pan skid and don't forget that pesky evap canister skid on the 07-11. As well.
nah, totally not needed and i still don't have one on our white jk. sure, in the last 5 years, i've knocked it off 3 times and once hard enough to warrant it's replacement but really, it was no big deal. if anything, relocating it is the better solution.

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK
haha touche...I've been waiting for your 2 cents...So, if I were to buy a new 1310 drive shaft(on the "to do" list), would I have no need for the AFE Y-Pipe? Or more specifically, is it known for sure that there are no issues with the cross over pipe and a smaller diameter drive shaft? What did you guys do on Rubicat??
I always like finding the best solution for a problem.
you would not need the y-pipe if you were to install a 1310 shaft. heck, we are running a 1350 front shaft on rubicat with it's coil overs that provide 12" of travel and made no modifications to the exhaust cross over - no problem.

...but then again there are only a bajillion of them, so i guess that would get kinda tricky...
and that's the problem, there are so many manufacturers of everything and all offering different solutions, the best you can do is to work around stock setups and go from there.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you would not need the y-pipe if you were to install a 1310 shaft. heck, we are running a 1350 front shaft on rubicat with it's coil overs that provide 12" of travel and made no modifications to the exhaust cross over - no problem.
I wish I would have known this prior to buying the Y-Pipe...I'll just have to buy the Protek skids and drive shaft at the same time...I'm sure I could sell off the Y-Pipe to someone...
Thanks for the input!

and that's the problem, there are so many manufacturers of everything and all offering different solutions, the best you can do is to work around stock setups and go from there.

I'm a big believer in "less is more"

Last edited by wayoflife; 04-21-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK
I really like the simplicity of the EVO ProTek skid system but, have they ironed out the problem of the interference with the AFE Y-Pipe? I would love it if they could make it work.
Otherwise I will be going with RIVER Raider Offroads skids...assuming their skids will work with the AFE Y-Pipe...
Now Im a little confused. I have the AEV 2.5 lift and am told that it presents no clearance issues with the front drive shaft. So I do not run any kind of exhaust modification. Am I correct is assuming the EVO system will not interfere with anything?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:38 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Poker5150
Now Im a little confused. I have the AEV 2.5 lift and am told that it presents no clearance issues with the front drive shaft. So I do not run any kind of exhaust modification. Am I correct is assuming the EVO system will not interfere with anything?
you won't so long as the shocks you are running are short enough to prevent your drive shaft from making contact with the cross over. from what i understand, that is the case with the kit you have.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:43 AM
JK-Forum Founder

just to prove a point, this is a shot of our JE Reel 1350 front drive shaft on rubicat with coil overs installed, no exhaust modifications and at a full droop...

as you can see, there is NO contact or clearance issues.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Will EVO work if you already have TF exhaust spacers? On a 2 door.
Thanks
Old 04-21-2012, 10:23 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by NCRUBI2012
Will EVO work if you already have TF exhaust spacers? On a 2 door.
Thanks
the spacers will push the cross over into the cross member skid.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:28 AM
JK Super Freak

One more vote for the Evo 3 piece system, that's what I have. For $400, it's a really good deal. For that price, you're getting a 3 piece system while other manufacturers you can barely get the oil pan skid for that.

Originally Posted by Freyja
Oil pan skid and don't forget that pesky evap canister skid on the 07-11. As well.
Not necessary on the 2012, it comes with an evap skid. I do recommend moving it to the left a little bit or relocating it. My last wheeling trip my rear DS boot got torn, looks like it hit the evap skid.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2b.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	307305   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	307307   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	307308   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	307309  
Old 04-21-2012, 10:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
just to prove a point, this is a shot of our JE Reel 1350 front drive shaft on rubicat with coil overs installed, no exhaust modifications and at a full droop...

as you can see, there is NO contact or clearance issues.
Sweet! I will be kicking myself in the ass every time I see that $300.00 Y-Pipe laying around the garage but definitely putting the factory pipe back on and getting a new drive shaft...I was already planning on going with J.E. Reel shafts so I am pleased to see you are having no issues with their shaft.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife

the spacers will push the cross over into the cross member skid.
Thanks for the help WOL. I will be ordering the EVO skid system.

Quick Reply: Oil pan protection