Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Oil leak identification

Old 04-22-2020, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak identification

Hey! So I just purchased this 2015 2 door JK a few weeks ago. I was underneath the Jeep for an unrelated reason and happened to see this dark wet area. I’m not mechanically inclined whatsoever, so is anyone who is able to spot where this leak may be stemming from? Oil level is fine. Never any spots or anything on the ground so I’m assuming it’s very slow. But it does definitely appear to be brown engine oil. Any insight would be helpful! Thank you

Old 04-22-2020, 07:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

2014 and some 2015 suffer from problems with the plastic oil filter housing. That's the first place I would look. My 2014 had the problem.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

If not the oil filter housing, next bet would be oil cooler which is another common failure in those model years.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

On the 3.6L, the filter housing and oil cooler are part of the same assembly. As noted, this is most likely your issue and was very common on the '14/'15. The Mopar part costs ~$180-190, and it's usually a 3-4 hour job to do at home. I have no clue what the service book says for repair time, but since it sounds like you would be going to the dealer you could be looking at a $500-$600+ repair (just ballparking). The real unfortunate thing is that unit sits on top of the engine under the intake manifold. There is no way to get a good visual on it to verify without tearing things apart. None of us can say without a doubt that is the issue you're having, but that is the most likely culprit.

For what it's worth, the part we're talking about looks like this -

You'll recognize the top of the oil filter housing that you see in the top of your engine bay.

There are plenty of videos out there too which can give you an idea. this is just one of the first ones pulled up in search (not necessarily the best one) -

Last edited by resharp001; 04-23-2020 at 04:29 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Wife's 2012 had the oil cooler leak. The Jeep lost a 1/2 quart of oil in 20 miles, what a mess. Once repaired it was fine. I think it was a $500.00 or repair like Re Sharpe stated.
The following users liked this post:
njwrangler94 (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
On the 3.6L, the filter housing and oil cooler are part of the same assembly. As noted, this is most likely your issue and was very common on the '14/'15. The Mopar part costs ~$180-190, and it's usually a 3-4 hour job to do at home. I have no clue what the service book says for repair time, but since it sounds like you would be going to the dealer you could be looking at a $500-$600+ repair (just ballparking). The real unfortunate thing is that unit sits on top of the engine under the intake manifold. There is no way to get a good visual on it to verify without tearing things apart. None of us can say without a doubt that is the issue you're having, but that is the most likely culprit.

For what it's worth, the part we're talking about looks like this -

You'll recognize the top of the oil filter housing that you see in the top of your engine bay.

There are plenty of videos out there too which can give you an idea. this is just one of the first ones pulled up in search (not necessarily the best one) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFUhIeyTjk4
yes, you were spot on. Took it to the shop today and they confirmed it was this housing leaking. Pretty spot on on price too, about $500 all together. Thanks for the input!
Old 04-24-2020, 03:42 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Well, sux that it is/was an expensive repair, but at least a common, well-known issue and not something you'll be chasing for a while. This seems to be a much bigger issue on the '14/'15 than other years from what I see. IDK if maybe they just had a bad batch or what.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 409 Likes on 384 Posts

Thank you for updating on the issue/repair. Price appears reasonable; especially for the Lakewood area.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
Thank you for updating on the issue/repair. Price appears reasonable; especially for the Lakewood area.

definitely! Globex performance in Toms River. Having a regear done by them in a couple weeks as well. Best in the area
Old 04-25-2020, 12:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by njwrangler94
definitely! Globex performance in Toms River. Having a regear done by them in a couple weeks as well. Best in the area
Hey, I'm right next door in Brick. I used affordable automotive on Brick blvd. The Jeep was there for a broken valve spring and they noticed the oil leak from the housing. I'll have to check my receipt, but I think they charged me $800 for that portion of the repair. Nope, correction. The part was $353.70. Can't tell what the labor was because the engine had to come apart anyway to fix the broken spring and replace the cams. I was happy with their service. I normally do my own maintenance but the spring and cam repair was beyond me.

Last edited by rob_engineer; 04-25-2020 at 12:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil leak identification