Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Oil filter alternatives

Old 08-10-2008, 06:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LedZepp877
i've done thousands of oil changes, the best filter i have seen, and the one that i find filters the best are Wix filters..... or a Napa Gold which is made by Wix
WIX marketing doesnt blow up their image. They do have NASCAR but otherwise they are low key. But that doesnt make them second! They are the best in my opinion!
Old 08-10-2008, 07:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've done a little research on this oil filter thing. After crunchin some numbers, I think a standard 318 Dodge oil filter will fit and WORK. If so, this would allow for a much larger filter. Actually a MUCH larger one, as the 318 filter is available in a one quart size, which is part number 51515 in WIX. Here are the numbers for the gasket size. The thread size is the same at 3/4"-16.

Stock 3.8 Gasket OD- 2.784
Stock 3.8 Gasket ID- 2.430

318 Gasket OD- 2.834
318 Gasket OD- 2.462

I got all these numbers right off the WIX site.

Notice the outside diameter of the 318 filter is exactly .100" larger than the stock 3.8 filter gasket. At first, you might not think that would work. Keep in mind two things. First, that's under 1/8". Second, it's less than 1/16" per side. Also, the ID is only .032" of an inch larger. I believe this will seal. surely, since it is the same thread size, there is no argument there. The only other point I'm not certain about is the clearance for the full one quart size filter. I know the half quart size will fit, and that's way bigger than the stock 3.8 filter. It's enough for me to go buy the 318 filter and give it a whirl. Just food for thought.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BeerMonkey
so i have a question, i use the mopar filter and get start-up clatter. think i got a bum filter? my jeep does sit for a week at a time though.
No...I got the engine clatter with Mopar as well......use a Fram and you won't hear it anymore.

Last edited by cmpmacchia; 08-10-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodo
I too have the clatter on start up with the Mobil 1 filter. Going by the store today to pick up another quart of oil and a different filter. I may not need the oil if there is none in the filter but I'll get it just in case. I wonder if Mobil knows about this. Might just shoot them an email in a little while.
Well, I did email them and received the following response.
Thank you for your inquiry,
> We are in the process of getting some of these filters out of stock and evaluating this situation. Of course we can not say exactly what has happened in this situation, without seeing the filter, but we are going to try to replicate this problem in the lab, and see what we can come up with. It will probably be into next week before I have any type of results. Either I , or the engineer will be respond back to you with our results.
I think it's a good response and hopefully they will find and alleviate the problem. I still have my old filter. Maybe I should send it to them to check out.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

I have always been somewhat of a freak on oil filer/oil selection - I have several motorcycles that typically place high demands on lubrication. Here is a site that will provide you more than you ever wanted to know about filters:

http://knizefamily.net/minimopar/oil.../opinions.html
Old 10-18-2011, 02:31 PM
JK Freak

I have always use K&N Filters but I got the clatter with it. Even spoke to the K&N people and send them the Filter. According to them the filter was tested and it was "within" operational parameters ! WTF
Change to 400s Motorcraft filter and problem fix .
Old 10-18-2011, 02:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
Why are some of you so dead set against Fram filters? The ADBV works. No dry starts. Has anyone had a failure with Fram? Whats with purchasing high priced oil filters with faulty anti drain back valves? We're not driving somthing with a high performance engine so why pay for a high performance filter? In 20 years I have never ever had a Fram filter fail on me.....have you?.
I had the dry star with the Fram filter !!
Old 10-18-2011, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by johnnyd
I have always been somewhat of a freak on oil filer/oil selection - I have several motorcycles that typically place high demands on lubrication. Here is a site that will provide you more than you ever wanted to know about filters:

http://knizefamily.net/minimopar/oil.../opinions.html
And now I find out AC Delco is crap! I went to Autozone last weekend and they had a special on 5 qts of Mobile Super 5w30, a Fram filter, towels, funnel and drain pan for $19.99. So when I went back to grab a Fram filter they were all gone, so were the Mobile 1, Motorcraft, K&N and a couple other brands. BUT, there was one AC Delco PF53 left on the shelf. They substituted the Fram for the AC Delco for no cost. The clerk said all of that part number in Frams had a recall and they pulled them off the shelf. I didn't ask what the problem was. Anyways, I've never had a problem with AC Delco in all my GM products, hopefully I won't with the JK, but I'm switching to Wix when I change it again. They've always had a good rep.

Thanks for the link.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default motorcraft filter

Hey Guys, quick question.
Whats the part number on the motorcraft filter? Having trouble locating it or maybe I'm just blind.
THanks.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by williard86
Hey Guys, quick question.
Whats the part number on the motorcraft filter? Having trouble locating it or maybe I'm just blind.
THanks.
A Motorcraft FL-400S filter, No startup clatter. The FL-400S is longer than the stock filter and has the good anti-drain valve. Hope this helps.

Last edited by coltc2000; 01-14-2012 at 10:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil filter alternatives