Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Oil filter alternatives

Old 08-09-2008, 07:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dunemobbin
I am going to try one of these. It can't be any worse than a Fram filter. But if I was buying throw away filters, like I used to, I think the Bosch ones work excellent. http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetai...eep-parts=true
Why are some of you so dead set against Fram filters? The ADBV works. No dry starts. Has anyone had a failure with Fram? Whats with purchasing high priced oil filters with faulty anti drain back valves? We're not driving somthing with a high performance engine so why pay for a high performance filter? In 20 years I have never ever had a Fram filter fail on me.....have you?.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just FYI, I switched to the motorcraft filter yesterday from the mobil 1 and startup clatter is gone thanks to advice on this forum!
Old 08-10-2008, 02:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every time i've changed my oil I used a Fram, I usually get home from the store, and jump right into the oil change.
Oil always poured out all over the axle when I took the filter off ... No doubt the filter would be full. (and the oil ...hot as hell)

This past oil change I did first thing in the morning, after about a twelve hour rest. The oil did not pour all over like before.
Some did drool out and the ph3614 was still about 3/4 full . Seems to be doing its job. I do however, wish the filter was longer.

cmpmacchia - X2 on the Fram filters thats all i've ever used, and never had any problems. Not that I am a big Fram supporter, but they're
cheap and readily available.

Oh yeah, no clatter.

... Just my .02

Last edited by ZoSo-Green; 08-10-2008 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
Why are some of you so dead set against Fram filters? The ADBV works. No dry starts. Has anyone had a failure with Fram? Whats with purchasing high priced oil filters with faulty anti drain back valves? We're not driving somthing with a high performance engine so why pay for a high performance filter? In 20 years I have never ever had a Fram filter fail on me.....have you?.
Horror stories abound regarding "exploding" Fram filters, their fltration media and internal construction is bottom of the barrel, at best, and most importantly, not unlike Monster® cables, their marketing hype is more impressive than their real performance.

Like bobistheoilguy.com, there is a guy that has OCD for filters. Lots of good pics, with technical information and such.
knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/reference.htm
I have already contacted him regarding the problems I have experienced, as well as others, regarding clatter with the Mobil1 filter on the JK 3.8L engine. Hopefully, that will remove the Mobil1 from his "recommended" list.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
Horror stories abound regarding "exploding" Fram filters, their fltration media and internal construction is bottom of the barrel, at best, and most importantly, not unlike Monster® cables, their marketing hype is more impressive than their real performance.

Like bobistheoilguy.com, there is a guy that has OCD for filters. Lots of good pics, with technical information and such.
knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/reference.htm
I have already contacted him regarding the problems I have experienced, as well as others, regarding clatter with the Mobil1 filter on the JK 3.8L engine. Hopefully, that will remove the Mobil1 from his "recommended" list.
I have a simple question then. This forum is probably full of seasoned drivers, so I ask, Has anyone out there experienced the above mentioned exploding Fram filters. I totally respect and appreciate the above post and I'm totally not arguing the point. What I would like to do is build on what was mentioned.
Again....has anyone experienced this and if so please submit your 2 cents, it would be much appreciated.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
I have a simple question then. This forum is probably full of seasoned drivers, so I ask, Has anyone out there experienced the above mentioned exploding Fram filters.
Yes, I did. I had a Grand Cherokee that required an engine rebuild at 27,000 miles. I was driving on the freeway... oil pressure idiot light comes on... I continued to the nearest off-ramp and shut down the engine. Long story short, the dealership tore down the engine and found fragments of filter media all over the place. The oil passages became blocked and that was the end. I was very fortunate in that the dealership was willing to cover the work under warranty, so I did not pursue it further with Fram, etc.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

We've also had problems at work with Frams fuel filters on a companies Isuzu trucks we service. We deal with Fram (mostly cause they're cheap). Anyways, I was sent out to they're warehouse quite a few times to replace fuel filters that were leaking. Turns out the filters were coming apart, right at the seam at the top of the filter body. Switched to Napa Golds (made by wix) just for their application, and havn't had a problem since.

I've also heard the horror stories from guys who had to rebuild their 5.9 cummins engines cause they used fram oil filters and had the filter media come apart, clog up their piston oil jets and burnt up atleast a piston, sometimes more. I had a buddy that was using them on his, and he found filter media partially blocking the oil supply line to his turbo.

I'm not saying they make a bad filter for all applications, but I don't use them, mainly just for piece of mind.

I'd also stay away from the Bosch filters. I think it was on Bobistheoilguy.com, there were some guys that bought them, and found that the spring that holds the insides together was in upside down, allowing the filter media to rattle around in the canister, essentially causing the engine to run with no filter at all.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, It's starting to get out of control, but i gotta' do it.

1st off Roxster this is not aimed at you and I am sorry that you had trouble.

How many more millions of Frams are sold compared to other brands, I'd bet it's crazy ... like 5 to 1.
So yes your going to have more reported problems than other filters. Kinda like the Ford Explorers
(everybody has one) My wife drives an '02. There are all kind of Explorer bashing forums... tranny probs,
rear axle probs and engine probs. Mine has been trouble free for 96,xxx mi.

Maybe I am just lucky with my frams and fords. But the stats will say there is a lemon in every bunch.
The bigger the bunch ... you got it, more lemons.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ZoSo-Green

How many more millions of Frams are sold compared to other brands, I'd bet it's crazy ... like 5 to 1.
So yes your going to have more reported problems than other filters. Kinda like the Ford Explorers
(everybody has one) My wife drives an '02. There are all kind of Explorer bashing forums... tranny probs,

Maybe I am just lucky with my frams and fords. But the stats will say there is a lemon in every bunch.

Yes, but when you tear a Fram down, finding it to be cheaply made, then have first-hand reports of them coming apart, it's hard to ignore the evidence.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZoSo-Green

I don't disagree with your logic. After all, if every Fram filter fell apart they simply would not be in business. However, when asked if anyone has had such a problem, in my case the answer is yes. That's all. I could probably buy Fram filters for the rest of my life and have no further problems. But, just like the nice restaurant you'll avoid at all costs after getting food poisoning there, I'll continue to avoid them.

Quick Reply: Oil filter alternatives