Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Oil filter alternatives

Old 08-09-2008, 04:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
Just to add to the growing data base we have here. I am running WIX in both my 3.8L Jeep and Minivan! No clatter and in tests the WIX were built the best! Check out bobistheoilguy.com for filter teardowns!
What is the part number of the WIX filter for the 3.8? I know, the store can look it up but if we have the number already and the parts guy "accidentally" gives us the wrong one, we'll know.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Wix: 51348

Originally Posted by bodo
what is the part number of the wix filter for the 3.8? I know, the store can look it up but if we have the number already and the parts guy "accidentally" gives us the wrong one, we'll know.
wix: 51348
Old 08-09-2008, 06:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
Since I see others with clatter from the Mobil1 filter, then I can only say DO NOT use Mobil1 filters on your vehicle!!!!
Our engines were designed to have the anti-drain valve keep oil up in the valvetrain and not drain down into the pan. Starving the valvetrain of oil, if only for a few seconds, is VERY bad for the engine.

I used only Syntec in the Probe GT I bought new in '93. I became a Mobil1 oil supporter after reading all the positive comments (and outcomes) on Ford truck forums.
Filters? I'd only choose PureOne or Motorcraft. I would ALWAYS stay away from Fram and will now add Mobil1 to that AVOID list.
Believe it or not the Fram anti drain back valve works best. I know its a cheap filter but they work. Next in line would be Wix. Believe me I've experimented with all the oil filters available for the JK. Even the Mopar filter failed!
Old 08-09-2008, 06:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Heres a test you can perform on your Jk in regards to oil starvation. Turn your key to the on position and wait for your oil indicator light to go out. Start your Jeep and watch your console. If the oil indicator light turns on, even for a split second....oil starvation due to anti drain back failure. If it stays off you're good. As I said the Wix oil filter takes a few days to drain back, the others drain back usually within 8 to 10 hours and Fram retains the oil.
Trust me ....I don't want to believe it myself but I'm just sharing my test results.

Mopar - Drain back 8 hours.
K&N - Drain back 3 hours
Mobil1 - Drain back 8 hours
Motorcraft - Untested
Wix - Drain back 2-3 Days
Fram - No Drain back.

Whats unusual is that I had no issues with the original Mopar factory oil filter. My issue started after my first oil change with a Mopar oil filter.......and so the tests began.

Last edited by cmpmacchia; 08-09-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepcanoe
I use fram-ph3600 about 2x longer than stock with no problemsme

Do you mean:

For:PH3614 Main Category: Ignition/Filters
Sub Category: Filters & PCV
Qualifier: JEEP

Description: Oil Filter
Manufacturer: FRAM
Additional Description: Full-Flow Spin-on; Years:2007-2008; Per Car Qty:1;

List Price: $ 4.97
Your Price: $ 4.97
Minimum Order Qty: 1

Old 08-09-2008, 07:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil filters are like women

Everybody likes a different type! My two cents worth about oil filters ( being employed in the automotive industry for 35 years) is that take paint remover to any number of oil filters and you could not tell any other difference in performance or feel. Some clatter on startup, some don't. It's a quality control issue, not a design issue. ALL filters operate on the same design, some have an extra layer of paper in the filter, some have a larger or smaller drainback valve. The most popular have shiny paint and golden decals.What a crock! The Purolator filters for $1.88 at PEP BOYS work as good on a short interval oil change as ANYTHING else. Fram base oil filters are as good as ANY other brand out there. Period. I'm not blowing smoke here, since 1988 I have put 933,000 miles on my family cars- olds,pont,chev,jeep,etc. 10W30 Pennzoil Dyno and the cheapest Purolator or Fram filter available every 3000 miles. Absolutely NO engine issues whatsoever- NONE. NONE.....Never had the first clatter on startup either. Sorry if I pissed off any Golden decal fans out thereGosh I can't stop laughing....Golden decals......I'm screamin'!

Last edited by TINMAN080; 08-09-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
Everybody likes a different type! My two cents worth about oil filters ( being employed in the automotive industry for 35 years) is that take paint remover to any number of oil filters and you could not tell any other difference in performance or feel. Some clatter on startup, some don't. It's a quality control issue, not a design issue. ALL filters operate on the same design, some have an extra layer of paper in the filter, some have a larger or smaller drainback valve. The most popular have shiny paint and golden decals.What a crock! The Purolator filters for $1.88 at PEP BOYS work as good on a short interval oil change as ANYTHING else. Fram base oil filters are as good as ANY other brand out there. Period. I'm not blowing smoke here, since 1988 I have put 933,000 miles on my family cars- olds,pont,chev,jeep,etc. 10W30 Pennzoil Dyno and the cheapest Purolator or Fram filter available every 3000 miles. Absolutely NO engine issues whatsoever- NONE. NONE.....Never had the first clatter on startup either. Sorry if I pissed off any Golden decal fans out thereGosh I can't stop laughing....Golden decals......I'm screamin'!

Well said!

Isn't it odd that the most expensive oil filters perform the worst? Its like the manufacturers over think it.

Last edited by cmpmacchia; 08-09-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:54 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
Heres a test you can perform on your Jk in regards to oil starvation. Turn your key to the on position and wait for your oil indicator light to go out. Start your Jeep and watch your console. If the oil indicator light turns on, even for a split second....oil starvation due to anti drain back failure. If it stays off you're good. As I said the Wix oil filter takes a few days to drain back, the others drain back usually within 8 to 10 hours and Fram retains the oil.
Trust me ....I don't want to believe it myself but I'm just sharing my test results.

Mopar - Drain back 8 hours.
K&N - Drain back 3 hours
Mobil1 - Drain back 8 hours
Motorcraft - Untested
Wix - Drain back 2-3 Days
Fram - No Drain back.

Whats unusual is that I had no issues with the original Mopar factory oil filter. My issue started after my first oil change with a Mopar oil filter.......and so the tests began.
While there obviously seems to be some variation filter to filter due to the results all of us have observed, I can say that my Jeep just sat a week with the stock Mopar filter and suffered no sign of starvation. Might be different with the next filter, but this one is good
Old 08-09-2008, 09:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to try one of these. It can't be any worse than a Fram filter. But if I was buying throw away filters, like I used to, I think the Bosch ones work excellent. http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetai...eep-parts=true
Old 08-09-2008, 09:43 AM
JK Freak

Talking

Originally Posted by PoorDad
There are mini van forums?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqkU3WSfw9Y

Quick Reply: Oil filter alternatives