Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Oil filter alternatives

Old 05-31-2008, 03:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
*UPDATE*

I changed out my Mobile 1 filter yesterday back to a Mopar unit, no more clatter! In fact, when I pulled the Mobile filter, barely a drop of oil came out, it is definitely a check valve issues. Any time I've pulled the Mopar filter oil spills out. No more Mobile 1 filters for me!
In the immortal words of Hulk Hogan "AMEN BROTHER"
Old 08-07-2008, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid me. I'm not to 12K yet, but the "change oil" light came to life for its second time. (first time was a few hundred early, also)

The auto parts stores are running specials on 5 quarts of "XXXXX" brand oil and "XXXXX" brand filter as an oil change special.
AutoZone had 5 quarts of Mobil1 Extended 5W-20 and a Mobil1 filter for $30. (Mobil1 Extended is supposedly the "old" Mobil1, made with Group IV base stock.)
I also bought a Motorcraft FL-400S filter, just in case. ("No substitutions allowed, even if it's a cheaper filter.")

This morning, leaving work, pulling to my top removal area, and pulling to the front of the garage....... clatter. Rotten, no good, piece of sh!t!!!
Needless to say, the Motorcraft filter went on this evening.

I gave the Mobil1 filter another chance and it failed again. Since I saved about 50¢ per quart on the oil with the special, assuming the filter "free," I'm not out money, but didn't get the "oil change special" I bought into.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:18 AM
JK Freak

I too have the clatter on start up with the Mobil 1 filter. Going by the store today to pick up another quart of oil and a different filter. I may not need the oil if there is none in the filter but I'll get it just in case. I wonder if Mobil knows about this. Might just shoot them an email in a little while.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:13 AM
JK Freak

OK, email sent off to Mobil. I will let you all know what their reply is when and if I get one.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:22 AM
JK Newbie

Just performed my first oil change on the new JK and wish I had read/found this post before I spent my money on the Mobile 1 filter. Yep, you guessed it. clatter city!!!!! Guess I'll be changing mine out as well. I might even take it back down to Autozone and tell them I want a refund.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to add to the growing data base we have here. I am running WIX in both my 3.8L Jeep and Minivan! No clatter and in tests the WIX were built the best! Check out bobistheoilguy.com for filter teardowns!
Old 08-08-2008, 07:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've run the mobil one filter for the past 3 oil changes and I have no clatter, what's up with this? Got another one tonight to do my oil change tomorrow, guess I'll let yall know if it clatters on this oil change, I've had no probs thus far
Old 08-09-2008, 01:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
Since I see others with clatter from the Mobil1 filter, then I can only say DO NOT use Mobil1 filters on your vehicle!!!!
Our engines were designed to have the anti-drain valve keep oil up in the valvetrain and not drain down into the pan. Starving the valvetrain of oil, if only for a few seconds, is VERY bad for the engine.

I used only Syntec in the Probe GT I bought new in '93. I became a Mobil1 oil supporter after reading all the positive comments (and outcomes) on Ford truck forums.
Filters? I'd only choose PureOne or Motorcraft. I would ALWAYS stay away from Fram and will now add Mobil1 to that AVOID list.
No conventional oil filter will hold oil in the valve train passages. The purpose of the anti-drain valve is to keep oil in the filter so that during start up the filter will not have to fill, but rather have oil there so that it can be circulated through the engine more quickly.

Originally Posted by Wings fan
OK picked up the Motorcraft FL-400s filter and clater is gone! great advice. I also talked to the Autozone guy and he confirmed the same thing Modile 1 filters do not have the valve that retains the oil pressure for start up.

So the 3.99 filter is better than the 10.99 Modile 1
The Autozone guy is full of crap, of course the mobil1 filter has an anti-drain valve, and it is silicone.

With that said, I've always used Mobil 1 filters, and had been using them on the Jk since the first oil change, never having any dry start-ups, however after the last oil change at 12K, I did notice a few dry starts. This continued, off and on for about 1K miles untill I could not stand it any longer, and at 13K changed the oil this time using a WIX from NAPA. I must say the WIX seemed every bit as rugid as the Mobil 1, and after installing I've had no more dry starts.
After checking the Mobil 1 filter I removed, I noticed the anti drain valve was offset a bit that one of the holes was not covered. This was most likely the reason for the filter allowing drain-back.
I'm happy with the WIX filter, and will continue to use them.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:12 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
Just to add to the growing data base we have here. I am running WIX in both my 3.8L Jeep and Minivan! No clatter and in tests the WIX were built the best! Check out bobistheoilguy.com for filter teardowns!

Even though the MOPAR has worked well for me, I might just go to a Wix on the next change.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#1 the clatter is not good thing. Every time you hear it, it's metal on metal INSIDE your Jeeps engine. For me, I would be hyperventilating, starting when I first heard it, until I got that filter replaced. It is not good, it is not acceptable until you replace it, and when Chrysler hears it enough, they're going to start voiding your warranties. Which may get Mobil to fix them.

#2 I'm using the Napa Gold filter made by Wix, and there's no clatter sound, and everything I've read says Wix is best.

Quick Reply: Oil filter alternatives