Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Oil filter alternatives

Old 05-29-2008, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had two PureOne filters give me the startup knock. The first time I figured it was a just fluke, so I tried another one. Now using a Mopar filter, and the knock is gone. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that the PureOne and the Mobile 1 filter use the same ADB valve, and that they both source it from somewhere in China. Poor quality control. There might be good ones out there, but I struck out twice. Never again.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:27 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Hate to do this to my beloved Amsoil, but I have the clatter with one of their filters. I'm going to change it out, to see if it will go away.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Woods
Hate to do this to my beloved Amsoil, but I have the clatter with one of their filters. I'm going to change it out, to see if it will go away.
really? I just switched from mobil one filters to amsoil and my startup clatter went away
Old 05-29-2008, 01:49 PM
JK Junkie

I don't understand this discussion. I've always come from an, "If it works don't fix it," standpoint and this just doesn't make sense. Mopar designed the 3.8 and developed the corresponding filter. Of all the things I change around on a vehicle, I never go with anything other than OEM oil filters. Why would you want to go with anything other? As long as you do the regular 2500-3000 mile changes these should be good as gold.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:44 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by seer1
I don't understand this discussion. I've always come from an, "If it works don't fix it," standpoint and this just doesn't make sense. Mopar designed the 3.8 and developed the corresponding filter. Of all the things I change around on a vehicle, I never go with anything other than OEM oil filters. Why would you want to go with anything other? As long as you do the regular 2500-3000 mile changes these should be good as gold.

I don't think this is a fixed or broken question. If you have a better filter (knowing fully, that "better" is a rhetorical question), then your engine will last longer.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Woods
I don't think this is a fixed or broken question. If you have a better filter (knowing fully, that "better" is a rhetorical question), then your engine will last longer.
I guess my question is, "How can an oil filter be better than the OEM?"

BTW, love that stabilizer bracket. Gonna test it this weekend in the Pike National Forest.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:07 PM
JK Jedi

BTW, love that stabilizer bracket. Gonna test it this weekend in the Pike National Forest.

Based on some testing data, the Mobile filters appeared to have a reputation for filtering better than most, unfortunately since I have the clatter I'm going back to the stock filter and see if that fixes the issue. It is a mod just like anything else we do to try to improve performance in some fashion, IMO.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Uhhhh....how can a bumper be better than OEM? How can rock rails be better than OEM? How can skid plates be better than OEM? How can wheels and tires be better than OEM? Suspension? etc etc etc...........

These are Jeeps, man. We are tinkerers. Just because something came from the factory doesn't mean it's the best option available.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Motorcraft filters are by ALL means very average filters. Ford just pays a few manufacturers to make the filters for them. Same with the oil, its just valvoline. The motorcraft filters and oil are nothing special at all. If you guys really want to upgrade the oil filter and oil, your best best bet is to go with AMS Oil and AMS Oil filter.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:08 AM
JK Jedi

*UPDATE*

I changed out my Mobile 1 filter yesterday back to a Mopar unit, no more clatter! In fact, when I pulled the Mobile filter, barely a drop of oil came out, it is definitely a check valve issues. Any time I've pulled the Mopar filter oil spills out. No more Mobile 1 filters for me!

Quick Reply: Oil filter alternatives